The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 Canucks could realistically hit 20 goals next season

*Buzzsaw*

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes, this year the pucks haven't been going in... but next year...  things are definitely looking up.

Look at the list of players who could easily hit 20 goals:

Horvat  (has a lock on a 20+ goal season next year)

Baertschi  (going to get better with Horvat and Boeser)

Boeser  (4 goals in 8 games as a Rookie!)
Sutter  (playing with a bum wrist all year)

Daniel  (this year was not typical... can do much better with a stronger defense breaking the Sedins out of the zone)

Granlund  (at age 23, still improving, can beat 19 goals easily)

Eriksson  (this year was not typical, 20 goals easily within reach)

Boucher  (5 goals in 26 games this year, also only 23)

Goldobin  (a longshot, but really just scratching the surface of his potential now)

Rodin  (another longshot... but still possible)

------

I think Canuck's offensive potential is much greater than people realize...  by the way, I didn't include Jonathan Dahlen.  B)

I think we're close but not 10.

Horvat - very likely to hit 20

Baertschi - likely to hit 20

Boeser - will probably go up and down the lineup, 15-20 isn't out of the question based on what we've seen

Sutter - on the down-swing, I say he's a 10-15 goal scorer now realistically

Daniel - no chance he comes close to 20

Granlund - likely to hit 20 if this wasn't a little blep season

Boucher - unlikely to hit 20, more likely 10-15 due to inconsistency and getting thrown around the lineup

Goldobin - wild card, may hit 15-20 if we're lucky but I doubt it

Rodin - unlikely, out of the question

Dahlin - outside chance if he impresses in the AHL first

So realistically we've got 4 very likely 20 goal scorers. That's pretty much league average if not slightly less than average.

It's Granlund that had an injured wrist - he shoots left and was signing autographs yesterday.

Sutter hurt his hand (not wrist) against Buffalo on 12 February.  He missed a game and was initially held off the PP for a couple of games after returning.  He had a stretch were his face-off numbers dropped but they are back to normal now. 

Guaranteed 20 goals next year:

Boeser 

Horvat

Baer

Granlund

Sutter 

Not sure if anyone else will hit it, but Boucher is my bet if he's given the chance because of that tricky, hard shot he has. Stetcher might get 15 or so too in his second year with more experience and offensive ice time. 

3 minutes ago, IBacon Strips said:

Guaranteed 20 goals next year:

Boeser 

Horvat

Baer

Granlund

Sutter 

Not sure if anyone else will hit it, but Boucher is my bet if he's given the chance because of that tricky, hard shot he has. Stetcher might get 15 or so too in his second year with more experience and offensive ice time. 

15 goals for Stecher might be ambitious. 

Burns is a class apart with 29 goals.

17 goals: Weber, Karlsson, Faulk

16: Ellis

15: Hedman

14: Pietrangelo, Green

Horvat: Yes

Baer: Was given the most minutes and the biggest opportunity of his career this year, if someone was after his spot I doubt he would have held onto it, I think you have seen his best now and as internal competition increases, he will fall away and eventually off the team. 12G

Grandlund: Again, overachieved due to lack of competition, it's all downhill from here, he and Baer were placeholders until the real scores arrived. 9G

Boeser: 30G

Sutter: Will sprain a ball early on, 11 Gs

Daniel: Rebound 27G

Eriksson: Is he still here? 18G

Boucher: Doesn't make the team out of camp

Goldy: Does not stick on the main roster 5G

Rodin: The miracle finally happens 12 G in 20 games to start, then goes down to injury

Henrik: 20 even baby

Patrick: 22G

(And after we send Tanev, Virtannen, Demko and a 2nd to Buffalo)

Reinhart: 28G

1 hour ago, mll said:

15 goals for Stecher might be ambitious. 

Burns is a class apart with 29 goals.

17 goals: Weber, Karlsson, Faulk

16: Ellis

15: Hedman

14: Pietrangelo, Green

Perhaps, but he does have great intuition for getting his shots through the first block. The main problem is that the powerplay generally doesn't have a big screen all the time and that he does defer a lot of opportunities to the master of shinpads; Edler. 15 is probably a bit high, but he should be a 10 goal contributor next year. 

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Well since we only had one twenty goal scorer this year having ten twenty goal scorers next year would be a nice increase. I believe Don Cherry's Bruins achieved the feat one year.

FingerGuns Checking in with Don Cherry at the Quarter Pole

Don Cherry and his Hated Bruins still hold the record with the most players to score 20 goals in a single season, with eleven (11) of his boys hitting the mark in the 1977-78 season.

12 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:
FingerGuns Checking in with Don Cherry at the Quarter Pole

Don Cherry and his Hated Bruins still hold the record with the most players to score 20 goals in a single season, with eleven (11) of his boys hitting the mark in the 1977-78 season.

Was just gonna post this. Boston had 2d (Orr & Park) & 9 fwds turn the trick. Remember hearing Cherry harpin about the feat a few times.

I can see Bo, Brock, and Granlund getting 20 goals next season. Maybe, one of the Sedins, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of Bo, Brock or Granlund score 30 next season, but I don't want to put the expectations high. 

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have another longshot option for you.

Patraick/Hischier/Vilardi (If we get one of the top three picks)

I'm hoping whoever we get spends a year in the minors to develop but that entirely depends on who we get.  I think we need at least one more year near the bottom of the league and a shot at a high pick in next years stronger draft.

3 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

I'm hoping whoever we get spends a year in the minors to develop but that entirely depends on who we get.  I think we need at least one more year near the bottom of the league and a shot at a high pick in next years stronger draft.

I'd rather land a top center in this draft, move Sutter, and get whichever center we land in this draft (assuming they're ready and look good in camp) into the lineup with some somewhat sheltered minutes. Sutter is a good player, but I really don't think he's what we need right now. I don't really like the idea of Goldy, Granlund, or Boucher playing significant minutes with someone who isn't traditionally much of a puck distributor. 

Also, it seems to me as though extremely high end young players are needing less and less time to marinate before making the jump. Honestly, I think it's become overstated, especially in this market, where we're still not really used to picking near the top of the list. 

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes, this year the pucks haven't been going in... but next year...  things are definitely looking up.

Look at the list of players who could easily hit 20 goals:

Horvat  (has a lock on a 20+ goal season next year)

Baertschi  (going to get better with Horvat and Boeser)

Boeser  (4 goals in 8 games as a Rookie!)
Sutter  (playing with a bum wrist all year)

Daniel  (this year was not typical... can do much better with a stronger defense breaking the Sedins out of the zone)

Granlund  (at age 23, still improving, can beat 19 goals easily)

Eriksson  (this year was not typical, 20 goals easily within reach)

Boucher  (5 goals in 26 games this year, also only 23)

Goldobin  (a longshot, but really just scratching the surface of his potential now)

Rodin  (another longshot... but still possible)

------

I think Canuck's offensive potential is much greater than people realize...  by the way, I didn't include Jonathan Dahlen.  B)

More like these 5 players have the most realistic shot rather than the rest of those guys you mentioned.. you are way too optimistic 

6 hours ago, Zhukini said:

The Presidents Trophy winning Capitals have FIVE 20 players with more than 20 goals. The most offensive tean in the league  in the Penguins have 5. 

But yes Buzzfeed. The 29th place Canucks will have 10. 

Wow, slam!

Both Pitts and caps have 5 - 20 goal scorers, but what you don't mention is that Pitts has 2 with over 40 and at least 3 others close to 20 goals. Washington has 2 with over 30  and again about 3 others close to 20. So approx 8/9 potential 20 goal players on both those teams.

Yes, buzzsaw is overly optimistic but at least 5/6 of our guys mentioned will/could hit 20 goals. That will still not make us a juggernaut, so why even make the comparison?

Goals total doesn't necessarily mean a cup winner either, New Jersey says hello (a couple of times).

didn't Mike Gillis have some sort of magical formula of needing 'x' number of 20 goal scorers to produce a championship team? dare to dream....

bo - yup

granlund - yup

brock - yup

dank - close

baer - close

sutter - doubt it

boucher - doubt it

loui - doubt it

goldy - one day, not next year

rodin - will he even be here?

one of the limitations would be pp time. and if brock is in and if we draft a sniper who's ready,  guys like boucher rodin and goldy end up further down the line up or out altogether.. like what would the line up look like? and how does Willie end up dealing with so much youth? and where's megna in all this?

I like the optimism tho.. 4 or 5 20 plus-ers makes for a hard team to play against. playoffs here we come..

Boeser needs an Oates (play making centerman)...just like Hull and Oates.

Sutter and Horvat are not play makers...that leaves Henrik and Granlund...

Bottom line, they need a play making centerman to play with Boeser

Eight ten goal scorers is likely, six fifteen goal scorers, three twenty goal scorers two twenty-five goal scorers and one thirty goal scorer.  An improvement for sure.

Not too long ago a similar thread claiming eight twenty goal scorers this year was possible and it wasn't impossible.

Scoring by committee looks like the new Canucks mantra either way and usually that is the best way.  A game breaker may have arrived in Boesser.  Goldobin is an unknown but could work out.  

Now if we could lose the last game of the year and lock down 2nd....We should add another twenty goal scorer to the mix and help boost some of these other guys numbers too.

Archived