The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Devious Vegas

So I was thinking back to when there was a false report of Benning thinking of exposing Biega as a forward. It was believed this might be possible because there is no differentiation between defenders and offensive players in the CBA or whatever that thing is. So it got me wondering if Vegas could use that lapse to its advantage. Couldn't Vegas technically take a forward from another team and say "He's going to play Defence for us because we think he'll succeed there" and in that way take a forward but use a defender slot? I know this is wild and odd idea and I think the league would put a stop to this, but technically going by the rule book, could this not happen?

Correct me if Im wrong I just find this interesting.

Vegas will be picking 30 players to fill a 23 player roster. They'll have a surplus at every position. They don't need to look for ways around the rules. There's a min number of players they have to pick at each position but they can fill the remaining slots however they choose

I believe Biega is able to be exposed as either a Forward or Defenseman because he has played enough games at both positions for the Canucks. Not for some arbitrary non-specificity in the CBA. I don't know where you got this from. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is the first I'm hearing of what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Considering the league has already stated that it will come down hard on any teams it thinks is trying to play ha-ha in regards to the expansion draft, I can't imagine they would look too favorably on Vegas pulling something like that.

When did they say that? Source?

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Ok cool, but it doesn't say anything about what I mentioned. My regard is that the NHLs rule book doesn't differentiate players so how can you enforce whats not in your own rule book. I understand that nothing like this will probably happen but the NHL office should get their act together and read their own book

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ok cool, but it doesn't say anything about what I mentioned. My regard is that the NHLs rule book doesn't differentiate players so how can you enforce whats not in your own rule book. I understand that nothing like this will probably happen but the NHL office should get their act together and read their own book

Well they do talk about how the language written in the rules allows the player to stay UFA until after the expansion draft where they can decide to resign with their current team. This is deemed as a circumvention. Thus you'd have to imagine that they'd put a hammer on other circumventing rules.

Anyways these guys live and breathe hockey, would you as Benning, for example, wan't to sit at a table with Bettman and McPhee explaining to them that Sbisa is a forward?

Archived