The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Vancouver - Philly

Proposal: 

To Flyers: Chris Tanev & Jason Megna & 2017 5th round pick

To Vancouver: Wayne Simmonds 

We get a 28 year old RW. He is a 30 goal scorer currently playing on their 3rd line who wins fights and stands up for team mates. Someone who might be good with the Sedins. You can play him up and down the lineup for the next 5 years or so. He will be a good transitional piece to help define our team identity. He will give the young guys confidence. Replace a mega or someone else who has very little grit with a guy who has lots for a middleweight. Bottom line is he throws bombs and he puts the puck in the net. Dorsett's best days are over and this team will need a fighter or two up front who wins fights. 

But why would Philly do this? 

They are loaded with young d-men ready to play more minutes - plus Tanev isn't exactly a guy for the mentorship role. And Megna? 

I think that pick would have to be a 2nd for them to even consider it (and not worth it for the nucks).

No reason for Philly to do this.

Actually, no real reason for us to do this either. Simmonds, while not "old", is still 28, which means that by the time we were ready to be a contender again, he would be well into his 30's. It we are to move Tanev, it would make more sense to move him for a younger piece, be it a player, prospect, or pick.

As much as I like Simmonds, not the player that fits with this group moving forward. Tanner could fetch us a top end prospect+pick. Thats what we should be aiming for. One team that keeps springing to mind is Dallas.

Tanev-Baer-3rd2017

for

Nieme-Nichuskin-First2017-2nd2018

We get a really good prospect and 2 good picks. Plus a backup goalie for a year.

Dallas gets rid of cap in goalie, a solid top pairing D and a middle six forward.

Dallas signs bishop and buys out Lehtonen

One area of strength that Philly has is their young defense.  No way they deal from an area of weakness (scoring) for a guy they don't really need.

Alternative proposal might be us dealing Miller to them for a good young center prospect not named Konecny and a decent pick, plus we take cap if needed.  However, seeing that they can't afford to trade away offensive prospects (which Vancouver would highly covet) and they probably won't deal away an early round pick for a starting goalie (maybe they'd trade a 2nd plus a prospect?) it'd be tough to see a trade materialize between these two teams.    

48 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

As much as I like Simmonds, not the player that fits with this group moving forward. Tanner could fetch us a top end prospect+pick. Thats what we should be aiming for. One team that keeps springing to mind is Dallas.

Tanev-Baer-3rd2017

for

We get a really good prospect and 2 good picks. Plus a backup goalie for a year.

Dallas gets rid of cap in goalie, a solid top pairing D and a middle six forward.

so we trade Baer and a 3rd for Nichuskin and Tanev for a first and 2nd and a big cap dump in Niemi?

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Tanev-Baer-3rd2017

for

OMGZZzZzzzz NICHUSHKINNNNNNN. 

Soooooo we give up our best shot suppresion d man, our 18 goal scoring winger that is trending upwards and a third for a goalie who is coming off one of the worst seasons of his career. A winger that is very skilled, but bolted to the KHL, because he wasnt gifted a spot in the Nhl and a lottery ticket. No thanks ill pass. 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

One area of strength that Philly has is their young defense.  No way they deal from an area of weakness (scoring) for a guy they don't really need.

Alternative proposal might be us dealing Miller to them for a good young center prospect not named Konecny and a decent pick, plus we take cap if needed.  However, seeing that they can't afford to trade away offensive prospects (which Vancouver would highly covet) and they probably won't deal away an early round pick for a starting goalie (maybe they'd trade a 2nd plus a prospect?) it'd be tough to see a trade materialize between these two teams.    

Miller is a ufa we can't deal him

5 minutes ago, KKnight said:

OMGZZzZzzzz NICHUSHKINNNNNNN. 

Soooooo we give up our best shot suppresion d man, our 18 goal scoring winger that is trending upwards and a third for a goalie who is coming off one of the worst seasons of his career. A winger that is very skilled, but bolted to the KHL, because he wasnt gifted a spot in the Nhl and a lottery ticket. No thanks ill pass. 

Nichushkin left for the KHL because his development has not gone well especially playing limited minutes in the bottom 6. He needed to reboot his career and get away from Ruff. Dallas still had a spot in their lineup for him so he didn't leave because "he wasn't gifted a spot". Its tough to say what the future holds for him but I think he should spend next year in the KHL as well. He hasn't had a best of starts to his career is Russia but next year he will get more minutes and more responsibility playing for one of the top teams in the KHL.

I find it sad how much flak these kids take for going back to their country to salvage or get their careers right on track. If I was a Russian player who was struggling in the NHL and wasn't getting enough minutes with my team, why wouldn't I consider going to back to my home country which also houses the second best pro hockey league in the world.

Why would anyone want to ride the bus in the AHL while getting paid peanuts to play in a worse league?

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Nichushkin left for the KHL because his development has not gone well especially playing limited minutes in the bottom 6. He needed to reboot his career and get away from Ruff. Dallas still had a spot in their lineup for him so he didn't leave because "he wasn't gifted a spot". Its tough to say what the future holds for him but I think he should spend next year in the KHL as well. He hasn't had a best of starts to his career is Russia but next year he will get more minutes and more responsibility playing for one of the top teams in the KHL.

I find it sad how much flak these kids take for going back to their country to salvage or get their careers right on track. If I was a Russian player who was struggling in the NHL and wasn't getting enough minutes with my team, why wouldn't I consider going to back to my home country which also houses the second best pro hockey league in the world.

Why would anyone want to ride the bus in the AHL while getting paid peanuts to play in a worse league?

Or they could work their ass off and do whatever they could to get to the point they need to be. Not blame a coach or situation for you not being in a position to succeed. I dont know maybe im wrong. I just know if i was in their position, i wouldnt walk with my tail between my legs, because i felt i was being wronged. Id work my ass off until i got where i wanted to be. Come in with a good attitude, willing to learn. For god sakes the guy was on the first line his first year. He showed that he wasnt fully committed. its obvious he needed to learn how to be a pro to excel in this league. Nobody was denying his skill, just his commitment to the details of the game. 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No reason for Philly to do this.

Actually, no real reason for us to do this either. Simmonds, while not "old", is still 28, which means that by the time we were ready to be a contender again, he would be well into his 30's. It we are to move Tanev, it would make more sense to move him for a younger piece, be it a player, prospect, or pick.

ndoavr.jpg

:)

4 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Proposal: 

We get a 28 year old RW. He is a 30 goal scorer currently playing on their 3rd line who wins fights and stands up for team mates. Someone who might be good with the Sedins. You can play him up and down the lineup for the next 5 years or so. He will be a good transitional piece to help define our team identity. He will give the young guys confidence. Replace a mega or someone else who has very little grit with a guy who has lots for a middleweight. Bottom line is he throws bombs and he puts the puck in the net. Dorsett's best days are over and this team will need a fighter or two up front who wins fights. 

Pretty sure Simmonds plays on the top 2 lines, not the third.  Other users have mentioned that Philly has plenty of D prospects and don't need Tanev.  Also, how does a 28 year old Simmonds fit in with our plan of getting younger?  Our window is still at least 2-3 years away and Simmonds will be in the downside of his career then.

20 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Proposal: 

One question. Why would Canucks re sign Megna if they are just going to throw him in as a package player for a trade?

Also NTY for the trade.

On 2017-04-11 at 10:44 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Tanev-Baer-3rd2017

for

I said about the same thing in pursuing Dallas's pick. I think they want to win now. Although if they do get a high pick in the lottery they may just choose a centre to play behind Seguin.

1 hour ago, Calvin's Dog said:

I said about the same thing in pursuing Dallas's pick. I think they want to win now. Although if they do get a high pick in the lottery they may just choose a centre to play behind Seguin.

They are at the stage if they add a d and a goalie and ditch their goalies. They could be really good next year. Playoffs for sure if not cup competitive. If Canucks were to take one of their bad cap goalies, send a D like Tanev or Edler and get their first plus in return it would be perfect for us. Gives us the backup we need for next year as well.

Archived