The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trading Down

I'm gonna assume the Canucks drop out of the top 2 in the lotto. Nico and Nolan go 1-2. I like Mittelstadt and Vilardi but not enough to not entertain some offers. 

To Sens: Van 1st

to Van: Logan Brown + Sens 1st 20th OA (Klim Kostin)

To Avs: Van 1st

To Van: Tyson Jost + 2nd 32 OA (Jokiharju) + 2nd 2018 

To Nash: Van 1st

To Van: Fabbro + Nash 1st 16 OA (Suzuki)

To Philly: Van 1st

To Van: Rubstov + 1st 13OA (Pettersson)

To Carolina: Van 1st 

To Van: Gauthier + 1st 11OA (Foote)

To Minni: Van 1st

To Van: Greenway + 1st 25OA ( Yamamato) + 3rd

Just some ideas on players I would be targeting if I was JB holding pick 3-4 this year. Flame on!

I'm a fan of getting the best player possible.  

If you're making a trade, the team who gets the best player almost always wins the trade.  I think this is conventional wisdom around the league and is why we don't see people trading down at the draft very often.

As for the Canucks, they have a great need for a top 6 centre to replace Henrik Sedin.  I don't see them making a deal with their 1st unless they get an equivalent player in return who is older.  Reinhart from Buffalo for example.  But what team would give up such a player and set themselves back several years?

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If you're making a trade, the team who gets the best player almost always wins the trade.  I think this is conventional wisdom around the league and is why we don't see people trading down at the draft very often.

As for the Canucks, they have a great need for a top 6 centre to replace Henrik Sedin.  I don't see them making a deal with their 1st unless they get an equivalent player in return who is older.  Reinhart from Buffalo for example.  But what team would give up such a player and set themselves back several years?

In each of my proposed trades there is a high upside player involved that could very well surpass Vilardi/Mittelstadt at the NHL level. We could very well be getting paid to receive the best player in these deals. Neither Vilardi or Mittelstadt show elite NHL upside IMO players beneath them aren't far off the talent drop between 3rd/4th and 20th isn't overwhelming enough to sour me on the idea.

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

In each of my proposed trades there is a high upside player involved that could very well surpass Vilardi/Mittelstadt at the NHL level. We could very well be getting paid to receive the best player in these deals. Neither Vilardi or Mittelstadt show elite NHL upside IMO players beneath them aren't far off the talent drop between 3rd/4th and 20th isn't overwhelming enough to sour me on the idea.

Then why would each other team trade for our 1st?

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

Then why would each other team trade for our 1st?

Short answer: Hype!

Mostly because "prospects" JB has shown that he is adept at trading for teams prospects their GM's under value. Maybe Vilardi/Mittelstadt surpass Nico/Nolan at the NHL for that matter maybe Yamamoto turns into Johnny Hockey. The perceived value of a top 5 pick is often much higher before the pick is made than afterwards. Possibly another NHL GM is incredibly high on a player that drops to us.  

30 minutes ago, hammertime said:

For the Canucks, I think they have to get a centre.  The Canucks have plenty of good wingers on the way up.  You're assuming that the Canucks pick 1 or 2, are any of those guys better than Hischier or Patrick?

For a lower pick, in this draft you don't have any leverage because there's a drop off after 2

49 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Id think about the Avs and Philly deal, but i still probably pass. Unless im getting a Reinhart/Drouin/Domi type player, i wouldnt bite. Thats just me though. 

I don't think Arizona would be interested they are loaded on centres, they probably take a D or Tippet which will be available where they are picking already and Drouin/Reinhart would IMO demand a higher pick than 3-4 but hey maybe right? We paid one of the best goalies in the NHL for 10 OA in Drouins draft year. At which time Bo Horvat was only projected as a 3c due to his poor skating. Had he not miraculously turned that around we would be looking at that as a huge overpayment. So swing for the fences I guess! 

41 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Too bad all the scouts disagree with you. What your gut tells you is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm gonna assume the Canucks drop out of the top 2 in the lotto. Nico and Nolan go 1-2. I like Mittelstadt and Vilardi but not enough to not entertain some offers. 

Just some ideas on players I would be targeting if I was JB holding pick 3-4 this year. Flame on!

If we drop out of the top 2 i would do anyone of those trades! Good post.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Sorry, NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO:)

not a fan of Fabro or Jost.

3 minutes ago, ChampStatus said:

Why are you not a fan of Fabro or Jost?

I do agree all the trades are bull$&!# no way any of the teams make those trades with the Canucks.

From watching them, they both look soft and very one dimensional.  We need some guys with nasty edge and skill.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

From watching them, they both look soft and very one dimensional.  We need some guys with nasty edge and skill.  

From watching Fabro I would not call him Soft. Jost is a skill guy. I would not define him as soft. Its not the 70's we cant be the new west bruins. I agree that some nasty is good but you cant build a team around the buck nasty.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The legendary Sam Pollock in the 70's was originally attributed the "best player wins trade" quote, I believe.

Is it still as relevant in the cap-paradigm, new NHL? I'm a lazy typist, but would suggest it's a worthwhile question.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The legendary Sam Pollock in the 70's was originally attributed the "best player wins trade" quote, I believe.

Is it still as relevant in the cap-paradigm, new NHL? I'm a lazy typist, but would suggest it's a worthwhile question.

Yes and no. Lindros was the best player involved in his trade but it's hard to argue with cups the Nordiques/Avs won using the pieces they got by trading him.

I think there's a couple of ways of looking at it, which applies to any era, which team got the best player and which team did the most with what they got?

Archived