The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - CAR

I've been thinking about the possibility of this trade for a while now, and recently I saw that the Canucks had scouts at one of the last Canes games of the year.  Benning is on record about making a possible deal with one of their dmen to get a young scorer. 

To VAN: Jeff Skinner 

To CAR: Chris Tanev

CAR needs s veteran Dman with good fancy stats to help them with the defensive part of their seemingly quick turnaround, and they're gonna have some serious RFAs to sign pretty soon. Letting go of Skinner before his next big deal allows then to protect some younger, cheaper players in the expansion draft, which they've got a lot of. 

VAN gets a legitimate LW sniper. His health issues with concussions are a bit worrisome, but Tanev is partially damaged goods too. And Skinner is only 24, with already three 30 goal seasons (& five 20 goal seasons) under his belt 

The deal is sort of in the same mould as the Hall for Larssen deal, straight up and filling both team's needs. 

Thoughts? 

Firstly, the Hurricanes do not need Tanev. They have Pesce on their first pairing, playing the right side, and Faulk on the second. 

Secondly, I'm a huge Tanev supporter, but I doubt that he gets you Skinner after the year he just had. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Add the Torts second?

Still not enough.

Just think, the only guys with more goals than him this season are named Matthews, Marchand, Tarasenko, Crosby and Kucherov.......Skinner is a top notch player now.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Still not enough.

Just think, the only guys with more goals than him this season are named Matthews, Marchand, Tarasenko, Crosby and Kucherov.......Skinner is a top notch player now.

Didn't Taylor Hall have a bushel of goals too, and he went for Larsson.  

4 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

EDM needed Defence and were desperate. 

I've said this before, I'll say it again. If we're trading Tanev then TB, TOR, FLA, NYI, EDM and PIT are good trading partners. 

Carolina is stacked on defence, they don't need Tanev at all. 

1. Carolina doesn't need Tanev

2. Carolina does need Skinner

3. Tanev is not going to get us anything near what Larsson got New Jersey. That trade is a one off that actually helped Edmonton more than people think. Tanev is injury prone and one dimensional. No physical play, no grit, no offensive contribution means they aren't getting a 25 year old 37 goal scorer for him.

5 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Carolina straight up has the best young d-core in the league. Hands down. I don't think this is the team to approach to sell Tanev to. 

Hands up.  Not so fast.  Columbus' young d-core belongs in any conversation about best young D cores.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Hands up.  Not so fast.  Columbus' young d-core belongs in any conversation about best young D cores.

I'd say your right that their in the conversation but I would still choose Carolina's. Slavin, Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce, Murphy I would say are all potential top 2 d-men. Also Anaheims core although slightly older than CBJ and Car is nothing ignore. 

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

I'd say your right that their in the conversation but I would still choose Carolina's. Slavin, Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce, Murphy I would say are all potential top 2 d-men. Also Anaheims core although slightly older than CBJ and Car is nothing ignore. 

Yes, Anaheim's belongs in the conversation as well.

But for me, Werenski, Jones, Murray, Savard - I don't think I'd take any other young top 4 over that.

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

I respect it. 

I think Ron Francis could quietly be the best GM in the NHL - or at least in the running.

Not just the D group he's assembled, but his (their) drafting of forwards as well has been pretty outstanding.

Archived