The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UK PM Theresa May Calls Surprise Election for June 8

DonLever

From Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/theresa-may-calls-uk-snap-election-for-june-8/article34731997/

British Prime Minister Theresa May has called a snap election for June 8, saying she needs a solid mandate to negotiate the country’s exit from the European Union.

Opposition parties have blocked the government’s Brexit agenda and she wants strong backing heading into the negotiations with the EU that will last at least two years, she said Tuesday, adding that an election is “necessary to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond.”

Under Britain’s fixed-term law, an election cannot be held until 2020 unless Parliament votes by a two-thirds majority to hold an early vote. The Labour Party and Liberal Democrats have indicated that they would support an early vote. Ms. May said she will introduce a motion in Parliament on Wednesday calling for an early election.

Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron welcomed the election call as a chance to change the direction of the country.

“If you want to avoid a disastrous hard Brexit. If you want to keep Britain in the single market. If you want a Britain that is open, tolerant and united, this is your chance.”

The election call is a sharp reversal for Ms. May, who has consistently said since the Brexit referendum last June that she would not call a snap election.

“I’m not going to be calling a snap election,” she told the BBC last September. “I’ve been very clear that I think we need that period of time, that stability to be able to deal with the issues that the country is facing and have that election in 2020.”

However, her Conservative party, which has a slim majority of 16 seats, has been riding high in opinion polls, with some putting the Tories 20 points ahead of Labour. And the Conservatives recently won a by-election in a riding in northern England that had been a Labour stronghold.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has also faced a series of leadership challenges in the last year and has a divided caucus.

Polls put support for the Tories at around 42 per cent versus 27 per cent for Labour.

Ms. May acknowledged Tuesday that she had changed her mind, but she said that “the only way to guarantee certainty and stability for the year ahead is to hold this election.”

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is one part of the parlimentary system that sucks. You can call for an election when it suits you, not a set date. 

Governments can set fixed election dates. I believe B.C has fixed election dates don't they?

Although they can turn around and break the rules and it doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Governments can set fixed election dates. I believe B.C has fixed election dates don't they?

Although they can turn around and break the rules and it doesn't matter.

No, they have a certain deadline to call an election. They can decide when it happens to their advantage. (Which is what May is doing). 

Up until 2002 we were the same. It took the Constitution (Fixed Election Dates) Amendment Act (SBC 2001 c.36).

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No, they have a certain deadline to call an election. They can decide when it happens to their advantage. (Which is what May is doing). 

Up until 2002 we were the same. It took the Constitution (Fixed Election Dates) Amendment Act (SBC 2001 c.36).

That's B.C?

I believe Harper set fixed election dates and then called an election.

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/lc/bcgaz2/v45n23_330-2002

Hence why we have an election this year. You're thinking of the Canada Elections Act. 

Every province is different just like Ottawa is different from the Provinces. I'm pointing out the Harper gov did something good and then stomped on the good.

I thought B.C had fixed election dates, here in Alberta We don't.

41 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

It's funny that "now is not the time" for a referendum, but snap elections are more than acceptable.

Her party is way in the lead. Canadian and British politics- change the rules when it suits your benefits..

Would like your feedback, Is Scotland more labour or conservative? Does Labour support another referendum?

Finally, is it true Wales is looking at separation?

Some people think May wants a re-election to extend her mandate so that she can she doesn't have to worry about a looming 2020 election should she screw up the EU negotiations (I am still skeptical of May, she could still leave a lot of the UK's sovereignty on the table.

On 19/04/2017 at 0:56 AM, Ryan Strome said:

Her party is way in the lead. Canadian and British politics- change the rules when it suits your benefits..

Would like your feedback, Is Scotland more labour or conservative? Does Labour support another referendum?

Finally, is it true Wales is looking at separation?

Traditionally Labour, but the party was nearly wiped out up here after the previous referendum. The SNP hold 56 of the 59 seats available. And no, they don't support a referendum.

The Tories are despised in Scotland but I suspect that they may receive marginally more votes from anti-independence Scots.

I can't see Wales separating. There simply isn't any significant support for it. Why they voted to leave the EU is beyond me though, given the amount of funding and grants it receives from Europe on a yearly basis.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 2:14 PM, Mustapha said:

Some people think May wants a re-election to extend her mandate so that she can she doesn't have to worry about a looming 2020 election should she screw up the EU negotiations (I am still skeptical of May, she could still leave a lot of the UK's sovereignty on the table.

I think that assessment is pretty much bang on.

Brexit promises to be very contentious and I think May will be coming in for more than her share of criticism. I believe it would definitely have a negative effect on her getting re-elected. In fact, I predict her popularity will steadily decline as the deadline nears.

Archived