The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - Pike's Place Market Murder [MAFIA WIN!] - New Game Sign up in Progress

T-rex930

33 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

I still feel like I was violated after that last game. Feels bad.

Anyone else kinda like it when there's no sheriff and the town has nothing but themselves to rely on?

Do you mean that you feel that MR mind fracked you?  

I think that the game of mafia, inherently favours a Mafia win. The last game felt like it favoured a Town win as built. It didn't work out that way of course. The loss of the Sheriff in round one was a real blow to the Town, and more importantly (MR's play being paramount) gave the Mafia a chance. In all the games I've played or hosted, I think that that was only the second time the Sheriff went out in the first round. The Town needs a Sheriff. I don't like PM's being allowed other than the Mafia Teams, but I wouldn't mind that the Sheriff is allowed to PM their investigation though and from that point start a Town PM. Only the Sheriff would be permitted to invite.

The Town relying on themselves? Hard enough to win as a TP as it is.

10 minutes ago, JAY JAY said:

Do you mean that you feel that MR mind fracked you?  

I think that the game of mafia, inherently favours a Mafia win. The last game felt like it favoured a Town win as built. It didn't work out that way of course. The loss of the Sheriff in round one was a real blow to the Town, and more importantly (MR's play being paramount) gave the Mafia a chance. In all the games I've played or hosted, I think that that was only the second time the Sheriff went out in the first round. The Town needs a Sheriff. I don't like PM's being allowed other than the Mafia Teams, but I wouldn't mind that the Sheriff is allowed to PM their investigation though and from that point start a Town PM. Only the Sheriff would be permitted to invite.

Games are always supposed to be balanced so it's close to a 50/50 chance of either town or scum winning. When I say no Sheriff, that would include altering the game setup to ensure it's appropriately balanced.

I think over the past while on CDC the mafia have had a decided edge but this is in large part due to players not posting enough which heavily favours the mafia. 

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

Games are always supposed to be balanced so it's close to a 50/50 chance of either town or scum winning. When I say no Sheriff, that would include altering the game setup to ensure it's appropriately balanced.

I think over the past while on CDC the mafia have had a decided edge but this is in large part due to players not posting enough which heavily favours the mafia. 

I never meant that the games were unbalanced or that the GM deliberately influenced the outcome.

I will not ever use that 'newbie thing' again, That was for reaction, not something that I actually believed.

I agree, the Town seems to play against itself. Half the challenge in getting a TP victory I suppose.

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

My conspiracy is Beluga Whale is a dolphin, he is too nice to be a whale.

Your theory is false, I believe, based on this:

1. You haven't played enough games.

You should review games that go back a year or more. You'll change your tune!

Dolphin? You suck-up. (Just Joking) @Beluga Whale and @J-23

31 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I had asked earlier, when the Sheriff investigates, what information is he told?

Does he pick a person, then he is told either Mafia or TP?

Sorry forgot to reply. When a Sheriff investigates a player it will typically return with mafia or town however in this game T-Rex was revealing town, mafia and special.

2 hours ago, JAY JAY said:

I think that the game of mafia, inherently favours a Mafia win. The last game felt like it favoured a Town win as built. It didn't work out that way of course. ... The Town needs a Sheriff. I don't like PM's being allowed other than the Mafia Teams, but I wouldn't mind that the Sheriff is allowed to PM their investigation though and from that point start a Town PM. Only the Sheriff would be permitted to invite.

2 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

CDC Mafia in nearly 200 games is nearly 50/50 TP and Mafia wins. I haven't tracked games for half a year, but I imagine the ratio is still similar.

I think it boils down to what BW mentioned: activity. A game with too much inactivity favours the Mafia. A game with lots of activity from nearly all players favours the Town. Special roles (especially the SK) add an element of luck to it - if they die early or late, it affects the balance. But there's nothing you can do about that if you want to include Specials.

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

I had asked earlier, when the Sheriff investigates, what information is he told?

Does he pick a person, then he is told either Mafia or TP?

34 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Sorry forgot to reply. When a Sheriff investigates a player it will typically return with mafia or town however in this game T-Rex was revealing town, mafia and special.

Traditionally it was 'Mafia' or 'Not Mafia'. The SK fit into the latter category, and was thus given a chance to slip by unnoticed. But it has been so long since I was Sheriff. We're talking literally years. :lol:

15 minutes ago, T-rex930 said:

Looking like we're still really short on people!

Who are you calling short!

Do I really have to use one of those emoticons!, I don't even know what half of them mean.

But just in case, that was a joke.

Thanks for hosting, T-rex

Sign up for Mafia: Portland Food Truck Wars (Please Copy and Paste the list below and add your own FULL CDC Username).

1. Alain Vigneault
  2. Darth Melvin
  3. Zfetch
  4. Beluga Whale
  5. diesel_13
  6. Armbar
  7. Blue Jay 22
  8. Stamkos
  9. J-23
  10. Master Radishes
  11. Time Lord
12 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

CDC Mafia in nearly 200 games is nearly 50/50 TP and Mafia wins. I haven't tracked games for half a year, but I imagine the ratio is still similar.

I think it boils down to what BW mentioned: activity. A game with too much inactivity favours the Mafia. A game with lots of activity from nearly all players favours the Town. Special roles (especially the SK) add an element of luck to it - if they die early or late, it affects the balance. But there's nothing you can do about that if you want to include Specials.

Wow. I'm a little surprised by that. I guess it was an impression of mine due to too many TP losses.

I guess my nature is to want to be Town instead of Mafia. Thus, I influence my own impressions.

On 2017-04-25 at 10:19 PM, Master Radishes said:

Traditionally it was 'Mafia' or 'Not Mafia'. The SK fit into the latter category, and was thus given a chance to slip by unnoticed. But it has been so long since I was Sheriff. We're talking literally years. :lol:

Text moved to 'Mafia General Discussion' thread.

Archived