Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald. Do we really need him?


brokensticks

Recommended Posts

Archibald led the Comets in scoring this year with 23 goals and 47 points. He is a 25 year old, 6'3'', 215 lb.,  tough left winger who is more than willing to stand up for his team mates in an organization that is lacking in this type of player.

Travis Green had him on their top line and was not hesitant in using him in all situations.  You have to think that other teams have noticed his play this year.

Lets hope the Canucks and Green are willing to give him a chance this year to make the team.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Archibald led the Comets in scoring this year with 23 goals and 47 points. He is a 25 year old, 6'3'', 215 lb.,  tough left winger who is more than willing to stand up for his team mates in an organization that is lacking in this type of player.

Travis Green had him on their top line and was not hesitant in using him in all situations.  You have to think that other teams have noticed his play this year.

Lets hope the Canucks and Green are willing to give him a chance this year to make the team.

 

 

Can he skate?. Speed? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Can he skate?. Speed? 

The AHL is a good league - guys who can't keep up don't score 23 goals.

In reply to Rrypiens comments, some guys take longer to develop (Zach Kassian??). He has't done much in the past but his results this year make him worth a look. You can't ignore a guy with his size and ability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I've said this before. In his multiple pre-season stints and call ups he has shown ZERO of what made him successful in the AHL level. I.e. hitting, grinding, fighting, energy style. 

If Green can't get that out of him....no one can. This is Archibald's time. 

 

monster%20minor%20league%20hockey%20hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

The AHL is a good league - guys who can't keep up don't score 23 goals.

In reply to Rrypiens comments, some guys take longer to develop (Zach Kassian??). He has't done much in the past but his results this year make him worth a look. You can't ignore a guy with his size and ability.

Not true. Remember Mark Mancari? Dude was a PPG player and was probably the slowest player I have ever seen play an NHL game. Tom Sestito was Connor McDavid compared to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I've said this before. In his multiple pre-season stints and call ups he has shown ZERO of what made him successful in the AHL level. I.e. hitting, grinding, fighting, energy style. 

^ Agreed.

 

He might find new life under a coach who already trusts him, but it's a bit of a long shot at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just feel that there have been a few from Utica that have not been given the fair opportunity they deserve under Desjardins helm.

Case in point - Pedan-  Benning calls down to Green in Utica, and says send up your best D man that's NHL ready..

Green sends up Pedan.

Desjardins uses him twice out of a dozen or more games he travels with the Canucks,. Once as a forward. The other game showing a physical element and edge we have not seen in ages against a strong Kings Team.

Pedan goes under utilized by Desjardins,. and I believe the quote from him was that Pedan was not NHL ready.

Some spokes were broken in our system that I hope will be fixed or repaired.

I am happy Green is up with us, and I hope Archibald and others get that fair shot, and a chance to put some games together, to show their worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archie's grown into a great player at the AHL level but I don't know if he'd be as effective in the NHL. He's got decent straight line speed but plays more of a power game than a speed game, and I think playing a tier up where the players are faster and stronger would be a challenge. Its harder to lay the body and knock people around when you can't catch up to them as easily. Archibald's also started to shy away from the physical game - Green was using him on the first line, first PP, PK, late in games, pretty much everywhere. It made him too valuable to be off of the ice for five minutes or more and his game has changed because of it. He'd have to play a significantly different role to succeed in the NHL and find some of that nastiness again.

 

That said, he's certainly a better all-around player than he was when he got his cup of coffee a few years ago. If the Canucks wanted him as an option to call up once in a while on the fourth line I could see that happening; he's more suited to it than guys like Megna or Chaput. Considering that he's coming off of a career year where he played in all kinds of situations under Green, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get offered a two-way deal to prevent him from going to another organization - same with Curtis Valk, but that depends on contract space too. I don't see him becoming a regular though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brokensticks said:

The AHL is a good league - guys who can't keep up don't score 23 goals.

In reply to Rrypiens comments, some guys take longer to develop (Zach Kassian??). He has't done much in the past but his results this year make him worth a look. You can't ignore a guy with his size and ability.

coughLindenVeycough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

WIllie made recommendations on guys like Larsen, Vey, Dorsett and Etem.

 

I'll take a new approach to what players to bring in. If he likes Archibald, I'll be happy if management signs him.

 Etem, sigh forgot about him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I've said this before. In his multiple pre-season stints and call ups he has shown ZERO of what made him successful in the AHL level. I.e. hitting, grinding, fighting, energy style. 

Yeah but that is a rather dated opinion, even comparing his AHL stats to then and now. He led the team in scoring I believe and that was a far cry from when he last was called up. He deserves another chance and the great part about Green coaching is hes probably going to get one. I think we will like what we see, it would make me forget about not having Kane on this team if he was able to transfer some of his success from the A into the big show, but he has to keep his hitting edge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Yeah but that is a rather dated opinion, even comparing his AHL stats to then and now. He led the team in scoring I believe and that was a far cry from when he last was called up. He deserves another chance and the great part about Green coaching is hes probably going to get one. I think we will like what we see, it would make me forget about not having Kane on this team if he was able to transfer some of his success from the A into the big show, but he has to keep his hitting edge.

This issue was never his point production. It was his willingness to use his size and engage in the rough stuff. He isn't going to be called up to be a scorer but to provide the spark and energy desperately needed with this team. Only time will tell I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archibald is a stable presence in the AHL and frankly that's where he should be. He is a good AHL mentor. You only give him an NHL contract if another team is looking to give him one too to play on their AHL roster.

 

The AHLer who deserves a contract and a shot with the Canucks, though, is Curtis Valk. He's 23, scores, feisty, and has been in the system for years. Deserves an entry deal and probably gets one with Zalewski, Grenier, and Rendulic coming off the books amongst others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Yeah but that is a rather dated opinion, even comparing his AHL stats to then and now. He led the team in scoring I believe and that was a far cry from when he last was called up. He deserves another chance and the great part about Green coaching is hes probably going to get one. I think we will like what we see, it would make me forget about not having Kane on this team if he was able to transfer some of his success from the A into the big show, but he has to keep his hitting edge.

That'd take management (aka, not Green) signing him to a contract. With only so many spaces I doubt he gets the chance, although he could get one part way through the year if he really impresses, or even after training camp if he gets a PTO opportunity.

 

There's still no question that no matter how good he is in the AHL, he has trouble with the transition to the faster and bigger NHL. Does he fill enough of a need to take the chance to offer him a deal based on a career year in the AHL alone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...