The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - OTT

The Senators have had a pretty good year. They are looking like a team on the cusp of being a serious contender. Ideally, they would probably like to make at least one serious Cup run before Karlsson's contract expires and they have to throw the bank at him. It's pretty obvious that he is the backbone of the team and everything moves through him. They live and die by Karlsson. I think there is a way to squeeze even more out of him for their team:

To OTT;

Tanev

Granlund

To VAN:

1st 2018 (top-5 protected)

Chlapik

Hammond

Reasons for the Senators:

By acquiring Tanev, the Sens open up a lot more ice time for Karlsson 5 on 5 and reduce their reliance on him defensively. Tanev could step in and immediately eat up a large chunk of Karlsson's defensive minutes. Tanev could be deployed heavily on defensive zone faceoffs and on the penalty kill, therefore reducing the amount of time Karlsson has to do those things. This in turn free's up Karlsson for more time 5 on 5 instead of penalty killing as well as more offensive zone starts. Another benefit would be they could keep Karlsson fresher for the Playoffs by reducing his minutes for some points in the season. This also reduces the chances of him getting injured, as he won't be out defensively as much blocking shots. I'm not saying he can run free and not play defense, I'm saying that Tanev could play more defensive oriented minutes so Karlsson can play more to his strengths and less overall. The Senators also get some cheap scoring and a pretty effective player for next season. Granlund gives them options in their bottom 6. 

(Ottawa has the pick top-5 protected just in case they are destroyed by injuries next year or something similar.)

Hoffman - Turris - Stone

Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan

MacArthur - Smith - Burrows

Neill - Pageau - White

Phaneuf - Karlsson

Borowiecki - Tanev

Wideman - Ceci

* This is assuming they lose Methot to expansion. If they don't, then their defense is even stronger.

Reasons for the Canucks:

The Canucks acquire an asset in what could possibly be the most important draft for them in the modern era. That extra 1st is an asset that can be used to trade up into the top-5 if they don't land there themselves. The pick will likely be in the latter part of the first round, but it is still an important asset for a rebuilding team. Chlapik is on the same team as Brisebois and Neill, so the Canucks likely got a good look at him. He is a 6'1, 196lbs left-handed center from the Czech Republic who had 91 points in 57 games this past season. He also had 19 points in 12 Playoff games. He is not fast, but plays a smart game. He was taken in the 2nd round (48th overall) in the 2015 Draft. I'll link to some scouting reports below. Hammond can step in as a serviceable backup for a couple of year until Demko is ready for the show. The Hamburglar would likely enjoy a chance at some NHL playing time as well. 

http://www.dobberprospects.com/filip-chlapik/

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Filip-Chlapik

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/scouting-reports-qmjhl-filip-chlapik-nico-hischier-mathieu-joseph-pierre-olivier-joseph-nicolas-roy/

* In this last report, it is stated that Chlapik only recently began to apply himself off the ice. Could be a change in character that works into a steal for us. 

What do you guys think?

I was thinking something like this as well but with Edler in the mix

Sens: Edler and Cramarossa

Nucks: 2017 1st and Chlapik or Nick Paul

This depends on Methot getting claimed by Vegas.  I bet Edler would waive his NTC to play along side with Karlsson.  

Cramarossa is hometown kid and may be a good fit for bottom six since MacArthur may be out long term and Neil is getting up there in age.

They would get 2 roster ready players. 

Anyway this is another option

To Van:

2017 1st + Logan Brown

To OTT:

Tanev + Granlund+ (if necessary SJ 4th)

I really like Granlund but we don't know if he can develop into a top 6 forward, at the moment I think he has a great trade value.

We could pick Mittelstadt/Glass/Vilardi and Hague/Foote or we trade down for a wing like Tippett/Petterson/Tolvanen

Dahlen Logan Brown Boeser

Bäertschi Horvat *Tippett

Goldobin Gaudette Virtanen

17 hours ago, Odjick_fan said:

I was thinking something like this as well but with Edler in the mix

Sens: Edler and Cramarossa

Nucks: 2017 1st and Chlapik or Nick Paul

This depends on Methot getting claimed by Vegas.  I bet Edler would waive his NTC to play along side with Karlsson.  

Cramarossa is hometown kid and may be a good fit for bottom six since MacArthur may be out long term and Neil is getting up there in age.

They would get 2 roster ready players. 

Anyway this is another option

I didn't know Cramarossa was from Ottawa. If they want him, they can have him for an extra pick I guess. I went with Tanev first because he has more value and I think it would have a bigger impact on Karlsson. If they are interested in Edler for less then that works as well. He could very well waive his NTC to be with Karlsson as well as reunite with Burrows again too.

Not a bad option, I just went with Tanev because I wanted the 2018 1st. 

Archived