The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] New Draft Lottery Format?

So the NHL wants to prevent teams from tanking and doing what Edmonton did multiple times.

But in some cases teams are just bad in general and they tank because they just aren't good enough to win.

Edmonton had some terrible teams. Should they have gotten 4 first overall picks? No, but they deserved at least 2.

Anyways, here is a new format that could work.

Hold a lottery for teams 1-5.  Not sure how the odds would stack up but it could be figured out.

Hold a lottery for teams 6-10 and 11-15.

That way a bottom 5 team will in worst case scenario get a top 5 pick and we don't have a team like PHI getting Nico/Nolan when they clearly don't need it at this point.

Now the issue with this is that for example,

A team who is 6th-last could try to lose on purpose to get into the 1-5 lottery.  It would make a huge difference because instead of possibly getting the 10th pick they now could possibly get the 1st.

So this is one idea, any other ideas/suggestions?

20 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yeah, I've got one - lock all the non-playoff GMs up in a cage with that weasel Bettman and his lackie Daly.

The first GM who can scalp that weasel gets first overall.  The GM that gets Daly's scalp gets second overall; all others retain their relative positional status on the draft order.

I like it. Though I have questions about how feasible this idea would be in year #2.

I am not sure what the viable "solution" to the draft lottery is, but we as Canucks fans feel cheated on a system that was cause by the Oilers. 

We have that feeling for 2 consecutive years now and it sucks. 

Especially after being one number away from winning it all. 

Its all about making money and selling tickets.  

So yes the format is broken because a team like the Flyers (who have a winning record) should not have gotten a top 3 pick.  They didnt need help selling tickets.  Even though they missed the playoffs, more often than not, if you payed to watch a game they would win.  

I have no problem with them winning the draft and moving up 5 spots, but not all the way up to top 3.  Thats rediculous and i think this has to be addressed and changed.  Colorado and vancouver are not going to sell tickets. They needed the help way more than Philadelphia. 

Piss poor marketing strategy.  Boo Bettman. 

How about a system like this - worst 4 in a group; they get chances of 40%, 30%. 20% and 10%. Sure, a team that is a point or two away from 4th could conceivably get the first overall, but weighted so much, the chances are slim. Then, the next group of 4 gets the same chances for 5th-8th. That leaves 7 teams (so far, it gets easier when there will be 32 teams); those 7 are in a group together, getting 31-26-20-15-10-5-3% chances. With this, no team can do a Philadelphia and move up that far, they can do no better than the lowest in their group.

It doesn't exactly guarantee the top pick for the worst team, but...just as we are ticked about missing out on Patrick/Hischier, what do you think the Avs fan are thinking?

Last thought...if the top money making league in North America, ie the NFL, doesn't have a draft lottery, but its pretty damn successful, why should the NHL? Bettman? If so...hey buddy, ya need to take a look at the league making the big bucks 

Bettman this.. Its rigged that..

In the end of the day We did not win the lottery.

What else are we expecting here.

We are going to get a great player at #5

If we would have won the lottery no one would be complaining here...

Yes I was just as disappointed we dropped to 5...

But I was also disappointed we traded Cory Schneider.

Lets just wait and see who we get and see what he turns into before we burn down the city and the league for not letting Vancouver win the draft lottery.....

Yes it's bogus system. Like why the hell should philly get the 2nd overall pick? There's other teams the could really use that player.

im fine with njd getting a top 3 pick and iffy on the stars 

personally the top 3 should only be up for grabs for the bottom 10 teams in the league. Still a lottery but less actual good teams goin for it. 

I have 3 different ideas but worth taking a look.  

Option A

I would increase the odd for bottom 5 teams if we are going to keep top 3 draft, 90/10 to be split. 

31- 25%

30- 20%

29- 17.5%

28- 15%

27- 12.5%

All of the bottom 5 teams get the share of better odds of staying in top 5 pick 90% of time than 50-60% of pushing out of top 3 or top 5.

It also place a greater emphasis and more weightily on the bottom 5 that needs them and also to prevent tanking all the time but will drop 3 spots on 10% chance while rest of the teams that did not finish bottom 5 get 10% chance of the odds to be split up accordingly at less than 2% each.  This will also reduce the odd rest of them landing at top 3 at 10%, meaning, one out of 10 years, they land in top 3.  It also pointless to tank because they might not be able to get #1 pick 75% and the highest odd of being pushed back with 3 spots while rest of 4 spots might have some lower chance of pushing out of the top 5.  

Option B

No more lottery draft and go by the league standing in order but with one stipulation: no #1 pick on back to back years or 2 top picks once every 5 years and If they happens to finish bottom of the league back to back years, they will get only 1 top overall pick.

It goes like this:

year 1, finished last, 1st overall pick

year 2, finished last, 2nd overall pick, and whoever finished 2nd last goes 1st overall pick that year.

year 3, finished last, 1st overall pick.

year 4, Just missed the playoffs by a point, will be drafted accordingly in the standing or if they finished last, and whoever finished 2nd last goes 1st overall that year.

year 5, finished last, 2nd overall pick, and whoever finished 2nd last goes 1st overall pick that year.  It does not matter as long as they meet 2 out of 5 years quota before reset to zero.

Or,

year 1, finished last, 1st overall pick

year 2, finished last, 2nd overall pick, and whoever finished 2nd last goes 1st overall pick that year.

year 3, Just missed the playoffs by a point, will be drafted accordingly in the standing

Year 4, made the playoffs, will be drafted accordingly in the standing.

Year 5, finished last, 1st overall pick

Year 6, finished last, 2nd overall pick, and whoever finished 2nd last goes 1st overall pick that year.

In year 6, they don't get the first overall despite the reset in year 6 because it forbids them from getting first overall in back to back years and year 7 will be a reset for a new 5 year cycle if they still finished last.

Option C

Hold a lottery for teams finishing last in each conference regardless of the points between two teams because of difference on schedule matrix or whoever finished last in each division get lottery chance amongst 4 teams from 4 different division and rest of them goes by the order of the standings with 25% chance of landing #1 pick for all divisional basement dweller.  This option is more of a simplified lottery with just 2 or 4 teams involved that finished last place in their conference or division.

Archived