The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan [1 year deal]

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Waaaay less money in the KHL...  should have been able to sign for Hutton type money here..  he'll be lucky to sign for what would amount to 1m US with AvtoYet.. In a league that is falling apart.. looks easier on the big surface ice,. But that's what can make it harder..

22 years old..  I've always told my nephew that getting married in your 20's is like leaving the party at 9pm..

Call it homesick, family obligations, or peer pressure..  he will get over it.

Well at least we agree on that part. Since I am in my 20's, can relate...won't be happening anytime soon with me that's for sure. 

23 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Well at least we agree on that part. Since I am in my 20's, can relate...won't be happening anytime soon with me that's for sure. 

Your 20's is about finding your strengths, what makes YOU tick.. setting goals you can conquer.

Your 30's is establishing those strengths into what you enjoy,. and maybe someone who is on the same page as you,. Making a plan.

Your 40's is where you start to enjoy all your hard work..

Your 50's is where you wish you could do it all over again, but differently ;) 

Just now, SilentSam said:

Your 20's is about finding your strengths, what makes YOU tick.. setting goals you can conquer.

Your 30's is establishing those strengths into what you enjoy,. and maybe someone who is on the same page as you,. Making a plan.

Your 40's is where you start to enjoy all your hard work..

Your 50's is where you wish you could do it all over again, but differently ;) 

I agree except for the enjoying the hard work part. You can still do that in 20's-30's. But then again, who am I to say...I'm in my 20's :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I agree except for the enjoying the hard work part. You can still do that in 20's-30's. But then again, who am I to say...I'm in my 20's :ph34r:

Hard work is a study in itself,.  If one pays attention to the order of their work,  and creates a system for them self,.  You can make "hard work" ,  easy. 

I like Pedan, but it's looking like he won't ever be more than a bottom pair D in the NHL, if that.

If you go by our depth chart:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Stecher

Biega

Then you figure in Subban and Juolevi, plus a potential #5 pick of a Dman, and you just can't see a clear path for Pedan to get any ice time under Green. He'd need Sbisa or Biega to be expansion drafted, and Tanev or Hutton to be traded, to even get the #7 spot.

13 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Unless the Canucks bring a NHL D via FA or trade, the 7th/8th D spots are a fight between Biega, Subban, McEneny and Pedan, and in that order IMHO.

Good for Pedan to get another contract.  Hopefully he has a good summer of training and a strong camp.

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gudbranson   Sub in McEneny (just my opinion)

Pedan Biega

Not much depth left?  You hope upon hope Juolevi or Brisbois is ready. And we can keep McEneny in the minors if he's not going to play.  Pedan I think makes a good 7th man and sticks regardless.

Also shows there is still good reason to draft another D. 

12 hours ago, theminister said:

TBH, I can imagine Pedan being a more attractive piece to LV after Gaunce but before Sbisa.

They will get their roster D from other teams, he has a low cap hit, younger, likely to pass through waivers, and if he makes their squad they can sell fights.

LV will be taking some guys from NHL teams for their system. Pedan fits well in that. Since the Canucks aren't exposing a major piece they'll look for depth from us.

Not to mention Sbisa will be UFA next summer.

Vegas may not be keen on picking up guys who may walk just 12 months later.  When there are going to be longer-term assets available.

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

lol you have too much faith in people. Dude was home sick, didn't want to play over seas, easier playing style, more money. 

Did he actually get more money?  

He would have had a two year $2 mill plus guaranteed deal in his pocket from the Canucks. Only a couple of players per team make good money. Then one or two more $500Kish. The rest are lucky to make the money Pedan ($300K) is guaranteed in the AHL. Way less than the base wage in the NHL. 

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

I think that getting called up the team in the past and then not playing seemed to set him back each time it happened. That is not a good sign about his maturity and attitude,  but I can understand the frustration he felt. Both Pedan and Tryamkin probably could not understand Willie's determination to...give big minutes to Sbisa.

what do you base this on?  do you really watch him or Utica that closely?  where do you get this glimpse into his mindset and 'setbacks'?

16 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He had a real up and down year in Utica last season, but now has a big opportunity to make the team with Tryamkin gone. He's one of those players that has all the tools to make it (mobile, big, great shot, physical) but is a little lacking in the hockey sense to put it all together. Hopefully he has a great summer training-wise and comes to camp ready to put last year behind him and force his way onto the team in a 6/7 role.

One thing he'll have to do is control his temper and not chase the hit at the NHL level, something Tryamkin was able to do very well. If he can manage that he could be a very effective component on a back end that's really lacking in physicality.

I watched 2 years ago when he was up and I liked his game.  He is an example of a player sneaking through the waiver wire.  

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not to mention Sbisa will be UFA next summer.

Vegas may not be keen on picking up guys who may walk just 12 months later.  When there are going to be longer-term assets available.

Top 4 D will be at a premium after the draft. Having a physical 2 way dman on an expiring contract come trade deadline would be "golden" :P

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

what do you base this on?  do you really watch him or Utica that closely?  where do you get this glimpse into his mindset and 'setbacks'?

No, I do not watch Utica closely. I occasionally watch some game action on the Internet, usually watch the game highlights, read most of the coverage, including very helpful CDC comments by @stonecoldstevebernier, @UticaHockey and others, and check out extended box score and league stats on a regular basis. So I am not certain of my assessment of Pedan's situation. That is why I used the word "seems". He did seem kind of unhappy when he did not play with the Canucks despite being called up and that was mentioned a few times in the coverage. And obviously things did not go well last year, including taking too many penalties (often described as bad penalties). And a guy with his talent and his previous performance should never have been a healthy scratch in Utica if he was playing anywhere near his level of ability. 

Obviously I do not know for sure what was going in Pedan's mind. That is why I used the word "seemed". No one on CDC is a mindreader, but CDC is a place for reasonable (and sometimes unreasonable) speculation. And it is pretty reasonable speculation that Pedan was disappointed when he would get called up to the Canucks and not get a  chance to play. It is also reasonable speculation that the reason for his problems in Utica last year were more due to the "mental game" than to any physical limitations. He should have been dominant in Utica last year -- at least as good as the year before. So I think it is likely that his disappointment with not getting a shot at the big team was part of problem. 

The other piece of the puzzle is Willie's handling of ice-time. Obviously Tryamkin did not like it. Very few players are going to call out a coach for not playing them (at least not if they want to play in the future) but if you listen carefully to interviews, I think quite a few Canucks did not really "get" Williie's ice time allocation decisions. And it is pretty clear that Benning and LInden were not exactly happy about a lot of those decisions.  And of course that was probably the biggest complaint about Willie on CDC, and with good reason. And journalists (like Bochford and Wagner) and bloggers were also critical, with analysis to support their criticism. Defenders of Willie might describe it as "patience" or "loyalty" but critics would describe it as "stubbornness" or "favoritism".  From overplaying Vey initially, through the last season and overplaying Megan, Sutter, Sbisa and others, it is easy to see why some players did not feel they were getting a fair shake.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

No, I do not watch Utica closely. I occasionally watch some game action on the Internet, usually watch the game highlights, read most of the coverage, including very helpful CDC comments by @stonecoldstevebernier, @UticaHockey and others, and check out extended box score and league stats on a regular basis. So I am not certain of my assessment of Pedan's situation. That is why I used the word "seems". He did seem kind of unhappy when he did not play with the Canucks despite being called up and that was mentioned a few times in the coverage. And obviously things did not go well last year, including taking too many penalties (often described as bad penalties). And a guy with his talent and his previous performance should never have been a healthy scratch in Utica if he was playing anywhere near his level of ability. 

Obviously I do not know for sure what was going in Pedan's mind. That is why I used the word "seemed". No one on CDC is a mindreader, but CDC is a place for reasonable (and sometimes unreasonable) speculation. And it is pretty reasonable speculation that Pedan was disappointed when he would get called up to the Canucks and not get a  chance to play. It is also reasonable speculation that the reason for his problems in Utica last year were more due to the "mental game" than to any physical limitations. He should have been dominant in Utica last year -- at least as good as the year before. So I think it is likely that his disappointment with not getting a shot at the big team was part of problem. 

The other piece of the puzzle is Willie's handling of ice-time. Obviously Tryamkin did not like it. Very few players are going to call out a coach for not playing them (at least not if they want to play in the future) but if you listen carefully to interviews, I think quite a few Canucks did not really "get" Williie's ice time allocation decisions. And it is pretty clear that Benning and LInden were not exactly happy about a lot of those decisions.  And of course that was probably the biggest complaint about Willie on CDC, and with good reason. And journalists (like Bochford and Wagner) and bloggers were also critical, with analysis to support their criticism. Defenders of Willie might describe it as "patience" or "loyalty" but critics would describe it as "stubbornness" or "favoritism".  From overplaying Vey initially, through the last season and overplaying Megan, Sutter, Sbisa and others, it is easy to see why some players did not feel they were getting a fair shake.

I'm not a fan of freely filling in narratives where it comes to a player's mndset or attitude - unless Pedan has said something to the effect of what you're claiming, you're not being fair to the player, you're not really representing them, and you're taking the liberty of speaking for them/their mindset.

There were lots of reasonable objections to WD decisions, but Tryamkin's ice time or the fact that Pedan did not crack the roster are not among them.  Tryamkin can call out his icetime all he wants - when you look at it realistically (not going to re-research this - posted elsewhere already)  I think there was something like 52 or 53 games where he played significant minutes  - and the aberations where he was in the 13 minute range typically came in back to backs.  For a huge guy that was notably gassed at times - and a rookie - there was literally nothing to complain about.   It's also not a mystery why Sbisa got the minutes he did - he has earned them.

Botchford isn't a 'journalist' - he's a modern attention seeking click-baiter = a huge difference.

Archived