The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time For A New Identity?

First off, I’m a long time reader on this forum but a first time poster so go easy on me. I’m excited to start this off and get CDC’s opinion on this:

Is it time for a new Canucks identity?

With the Sedin’s contracts coming to an end and the Canucks management finally accepting the rebuild I wonder if they should look at a possible new identity for the team.  I look at the recent success of the Oilers, Leafs and Penguins (and keep in mind I am slightly superstitious when it comes to hockey) and how they have undergone recent jersey changes as a kind of step forward in a new direction. And now with the Devils getting a completely new jersey set for next year (coincidence?) I think it might be a good idea for a change.

I personally would like to see even a slight change of going to the current alternate jersey full time with a new white away edition. Nothing crazy, but it marks a step in a new direction for this franchise as I think the current jersey set (as we’ve had a lot of success with) marks a time that coincides with the Sedin era if you will. A jersey change can’t change the product on the ice but it can give way to a new era of Canucks hockey and another step to the future (core) of this team.

What are your thoughts?

Just now, DSVII said:

I'd remove the "vancouver" lettering as its crowded.  But I do love the orca. 

Yeah, I find the "Vancouver" a bit unnecessary, but I don't hate it.

The Orca absolutely bleeds "West Coast" though. Especially with the Native-esque design. Love it.

Just as long as the old black, yellow and read atrocity ISN'T brought back. The black road jersey wasn't that bad, but the yellow home jersey? Just shoot me

Team identity. Anything that resembles a winner, I'm for. We could do worse than having Horvat's style be the "team identity".

By "identity" I thought you were referring to our lack of balls, not the jersey.

Yes we need a new identity. A much tougher, more aggressive, harder to play against, less passive, stick up for your teammates kind of identity. Just remove "Vancouver" from the jersey and it would be even more awesome.

The word is there will be no alternative jerseys of any kind for any team next season as the league transitions to their new supplier -Adidas. 

In any case,  we have more important things to focus on as a franchise than jerseys imo. 

Archived