The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time For A New Identity?

On 2017-06-19 at 3:34 PM, Baggins said:

You're right, it is a matter of opinion. But calling it "the constipated whale" is rather childish and really only succeeds in lowering my opinion of you more so than any of our jerseys/logos. As I've said, it doesn't matter what we use at this point there will be those unhappy about it.

I'v seen a couple of constipated Johnnie Canucks in the bush and it's not pretty..a greasy stinky dude running amok with a hand full of branches because he was too dumb to bring a roll.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2017 at 7:47 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

imho the whale is the worst logo in professional sports - hands down. This suits me fine as I can rock the stick in rink and not fall victim to buying new merch when I go to the usual handful of games per season. For the record I speak for my small clique of friends/fans that were born before 1970 and have cheered for the 'Nux as long as we can remember. Constipated Free Willy both sucks and blows!

I agree and made the same point earlier.  Worst logo in the league.  If at least the logo was just an Orca, it would be better. Or just a C for Canuck.  But since an Orca has nothing to do with a Canuck, the "geniuses" in charge had find a way of turning a whale into a Canuck....and hence the current half orca, half "C".  How pathetic, cluttered and contrived.  I will never buy anything with that ridiculous logo on it.  

I am still not a big fan of our current jerseys.  The 'Vancouver' just seems silly and makes it look cluttered, and the orca itself is too big.  Stink in the rink for me, and stick the orca on the should if they really feel it is necessary to have it.

What needs to happen is either a switch to the Canucks "skate" colours as it appears no one in the league has that set of colours, or we completely switch to the Johnny Canucks logo with these same current colours. The Yellow/Orange/Red & Black skate colours are perfect. Pittsburgh went to their old yellow and black jerseys and they look great.

3 hours ago, TommiSantala25 said:

What needs to happen is either a switch to the Canucks "skate" colours as it appears no one in the league has that set of colours, or we completely switch to the Johnny Canucks logo with these same current colours. The Yellow/Orange/Red & Black skate colours are perfect. Pittsburgh went to their old yellow and black jerseys and they look great.

I love those colours, especially the home yellow from the 80's. It was so distinctive and it complemented the away black beautifully. Nashville did a great job in marketing their yellow/gold. The Preds showed how cool yellow looks as a primary when the uniform design is sharp and the team is successful. 

However, blue, green and white are the Canucks' original and true colours and they represent the Pacific Northwest. No one else has that colour scheme either. I do feel the Canucks can do what MLB's Mariners have done by integrating an old colour scheme as part of their identity by using it 4-5 times a season. The '94 black Skate jersey could be used with Johnny Canuck as a shoulder patch. Either JC or the classic Stick In Rink gets my vote as the full time primary logo.

I think the jersey design could stay the same and I'd be happy. What I think definitely needs to change is our color scheme. It's so passive and non-threatening.

If you look at the teams that have won cups since 1990, there have been 2 teams to do it with blue uniforms (NYR and Edmonton). Every other team has been primarily black or red. There's got to be something too that.

I'd go back to the black, gold, red and white colors. Keep the same design and logo if you want to link it to the Sedin years. Some old, some current, but new and more intimidating.

• 2 weeks later...

Stick in Rink she be our logo. As someone mentioned "we were born with it" should be the tag line. I hope Debonis and whoever else decides that, wakes up soon. It seemed like we were going in the direction of no nonsense "meat and potatoes" style 2 years ago with the JC tshirts. The Orca is too cartoon. 

It was sad to see The LV Knights poke fun at our Orca as well. 

39 minutes ago, Roadrunner12 said:

Stick in Rink she be our logo. As someone mentioned "we were born with it" should be the tag line. I hope Debonis and whoever else decides that, wakes up soon. It seemed like we were going in the direction of no nonsense "meat and potatoes" style 2 years ago with the JC tshirts. The Orca is too cartoon. 

It was sad to see The LV Knights poke fun at our Orca as well. 

Sadly the Canucks are the red haired stepchild of the league.  Nobody respects them.  The scorn started the minute they hit the ice in 1970 from the Eastern hockey old boys club.  Through their own futility over the years, antics of some of the so called fans, and very transparent culture of the "please like us" mentality a small portion of it is earned.  Until this team starts "kicking as$ and taking names" nothing will change. Frankly I don't see that happening anytime soon. Respect is earned not given.

On 2017-07-17 at 2:13 PM, Zedlee said:

I agree and made the same point earlier.  Worst logo in the league.  If at least the logo was just an Orca, it would be better. Or just a C for Canuck.  But since an Orca has nothing to do with a Canuck, the "geniuses" in charge had find a way of turning a whale into a Canuck....and hence the current half orca, half "C".  How pathetic, cluttered and contrived.  I will never buy anything with that ridiculous logo on it.  

I agree that the half a C and half a whale, is a dumb design. At least the way they did it. Kind of forcing an orca into a cracking blocky C.  Bottom heavy and the bottom does not relate to the top.

But the orca whale is for sure a Vancouver icon. Nothing wrong with that decision. And the Haida native art reference is also a plus.  I just think they could have just forgot about having to make the whale unnaturally breaking out of some weird C shaped egg, and just had a good designer do a stylized orca in the shape of a C.

I agree with the Haida/Orca symbolism. It just doesn't fit as a hockey symbol. Yes the C reps Canucks. Perhaps a V would've worked better. The C and the Orca really are confusing  to an unsavvy  fan. If it's going to be a C then don't blur it with a whale to reps Canucks. I was ready to jump ship when this logo first came up. The only thing that kept me a fan at that time (I was 12) was Pavel Bure. But I've always thought this logo was awful the day of its inception.  I only own a Bure Jersey with the whale everything else I have is S n R and JC and the Skate.  I will not buy anything with the whale.

22 hours ago, kilgore said:

I agree that the half a C and half a whale, is a dumb design. At least the way they did it. Kind of forcing an orca into a cracking blocky C.  Bottom heavy and the bottom does not relate to the top.

But the orca whale is for sure a Vancouver icon. Nothing wrong with that decision. And the Haida native art reference is also a plus.  I just think they could have just forgot about having to make the whale unnaturally breaking out of some weird C shaped egg, and just had a good designer do a stylized orca in the shape of a C.

The bottom is ice and the whale is breaking through it. As in breaking through the ice rink.

2 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Orca bay hasnt owned the canucks for a long time. I always hated the logo, represents our former ownership group not our team.. quicker its gone the better.

IMG_3152.JPG

orca bay still owns the team. the name was just changed to canucks sports and entertainment. 

I think we need to get basic. A stylized VC would work. Something in an original six type classic look. 

A big no to the hallowe'en colours. Matte Black with green would be ok as an alternate. 

Garish colours aren't intimidating either, especially the symbolic skate going downhill. It reminds me of the 80's era where the team was going nowhere. 

On 7/18/2017 at 9:26 AM, WiseOne said:

I am still not a big fan of our current jerseys.  The 'Vancouver' just seems silly and makes it look cluttered, and the orca itself is too big.  Stink in the rink for me, and stick the orca on the should if they really feel it is necessary to have it.

haha I know its a typo, ''stink in the rink'', but come in, it's pretty funny...  some years they do stink in the rink

Archived