The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] DAL-VAN... The 3rd Overall Pick

Dallas is a team that should have been in the playoffs this year. They have a few holes in their lineup and if they can fill those holes they could do some real damage. Benn and Seguin are in their prime and they also have Spezza who can provide good secondary offense for a few more years. They have some offensive defensemen in Klingberg and upcoming Finnish defenseman Honka, but they need someone who can take the heavy minutes away from them. They also need a quality starting goaltender, as their tandem of Lehtonen and Niemi are overpaid sieves playing behind their defense. A third overall pick is years away in making an impact on this current Dallas team and I think this proposal is enough to entice them to trade it.

To Dallas

D Chris Tanev

G Jakob Markstrom

CLB 2nd (52nd overall pick)

To Vancouver

G Kahri Lehtonen

DAL 1st (3rd overall pick)

*Assuming Columbus gives us their 2nd round pick and Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier are not available at 3rd

The Canucks give up a lot but have the 3rd and 5th overall picks at the draft and can turn the franchise around with two top prospects. Draft a potential offensive #1D and a big offensive centre? Or draft two big offensive centres and have one of them play on the wing? Or select a highly skilled offensive centre and a big offensive forward? The combinations are endless and will fill two big positions at the top of the depth chart for the Canucks.

For example:

With the 3rd overall pick the Canucks select D Miro Heiskanen

With the 5th overall pick the Canucks select C Gabe Vilardi

Thoughts?

Even if Dallas is in a win mow mode, Tanev and Markstrom doesn't put them over the top as legit contenders for the Cup. They are better off keeping their first round pick (highest since 1996), because their prospects pool isn't all that great.

I think Canucks give up to much. Lehtonen is negative value. Tanev and 2nd is too much. Stars also need a current number one goalie. Markstrom hasn't proved that yet so i don't see them taking a risk on him. They are better off going for a proven goalie

Honestly I'm not sure I even want the 3rd overall at what the cost it would take. I don't have any interest in heiskanen (or a d at 3-5) so I I'd rather keep our pick and take a high risk/reward type. I think if we want to move tanev we should do it for a mid/late round first +. 

That's not enough for Tanev IMO and Dallas doesn't have what we would want (and what they would be willing to give up). I think Tampa and Toronto are the perfect trade partners for a Tanev deal. 

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

That's not enough for Tanev IMO and Dallas doesn't have what we would want (and what they would be willing to give up). I think Tampa and Toronto are the perfect trade partners for a Tanev deal. 

I dunno I'd want the 3rd overall

I'd be happy with Tanev for 3rd OA + Lehtenen
would add some to make it happen...

Maybe even trade down from 3rd to 7-10th for an additional 2nd rounder if possible

Draft Glass or Mittlestat with the 5th and Makar / Liljegren with the 7-10th round pick

find some 2-3 Benning gems in the 2nd round. Commence with the 2-3 year rebuild as we wait for these guys.

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Dallas would have to give us an extra 3rd or 4th round pick but something like this could work because both Philly and Dallas don't really need prospects right now they need roster players.

I doubt philly will trade their pick. Patrick or Hischier will just slide right into their roster and likely be contributing players on the team.

Markstrom, we can't trade him... He's our goalie of the meantime whilst we wait for Demko... Plus no way will I want to pay Miller + Lehtenen at 10+ million lol

1 minute ago, goblix said:

I doubt philly will trade their pick. Patrick or Hischier will just slide right into their roster and likely be contributing players on the team.

Markstrom, we can't trade him... He's our goalie of the meantime whilst we wait for Demko... Plus no way will I want to pay Miller + Lehtenen at 10+ million lol

Yeah but PHI would benefit more right now if they traded their pick because Hischier/Patrick would just play 3rd line behind Couturier and Giroux and probs put up 30/40pts.  They could get a top 4 D man plus more if they traded their pick.  However I do agree we should keep Markstrom.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah but PHI would benefit more right now if they traded their pick because Hischier/Patrick would just play 3rd line behind Couturier and Giroux and probs put up 30/40pts.  They could get a top 4 D man plus more if they traded their pick.  However I do agree we should keep Markstrom.

Yeah, they have quite a good defense already. Gostisbehere, Provorov, MacDonald, Gudas. They could probably use Tanev but I mean what team doesn't need a top minute transition beast that makes 4.2m-ish in cap.

That'd be the perfect spot for Hischier and Patrick anyways. A 3rd line that the can contribute towards with some nice veteran wingers.

52 minutes ago, goblix said:

Yeah, they have quite a good defense already. Gostisbehere, Provorov, MacDonald, Gudas. They could probably use Tanev but I mean what team doesn't need a top minute transition beast that makes 4.2m-ish in cap.

That'd be the perfect spot for Hischier and Patrick anyways. A 3rd line that the can contribute towards with some nice veteran wingers.

MacDonald is a buyout candidate. 

Gudas is a bottom-pairing guy. 

They have nothing on the right-side. Tanev is perfect for Philly. 

Maybe Tanev for 2nd OV and MacDonald would be a solid move for Hextall and Co. Philly was a pretty good team this year and I could see them making the playoffs with Tanev on their team. 

Even taking a cap dump back I dont think Tanev would get the philly or dallas picks without adding considerably more (Philly would probably want Boeser as well). I dont think Dallas does the deal with Vancouver anyway due to the bad blood between the franchise owners (as silly as it is in business).

10 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

MacDonald is a buyout candidate. 

Gudas is a bottom-pairing guy. 

They have nothing on the right-side. Tanev is perfect for Philly. 

Maybe Tanev for 2nd OV and MacDonald would be a solid move for Hextall and Co. Philly was a pretty good team this year and I could see them making the playoffs with Tanev on their team. 

Hmm gudas had 23 pts and a +8 bottom pairing or not seems pretty decent.

But you are right. Provorov and gostisbehere are LHD so they desperately need a rhd.

not sure if Macdonald is that bad to be negative value though. Definitely not Lehtenon bad

either way if we could make a trade that centered around tanev for the 2OA whilst not giving our 5th or big named roster players like horvat and boeser then I'm down with picking Patrick / hischier + Liljegren / Makar

I think Dallas' defense was fine. There top 3 forwards, however, were defensive nightmares and their goaltending was dreadful. They may have interest in Marky but, I think their team will, mostly, rely on Benn, Spezza and Seguin becoming more reliable in the d zone. Sharp was also a big liability, in all zones. I don't see him as a big loss for them, moving forward. Unfortunately, other pieces they may be interested in, we need ourselves. 

I don't see a realistic deal here.

But, then again, I've seen stranger things happen.

3 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Even taking a cap dump back I dont think Tanev would get the philly or dallas picks without adding considerably more (Philly would probably want Boeser as well). I dont think Dallas does the deal with Vancouver anyway due to the bad blood between the franchise owners (as silly as it is in business).

Tanev + Boeser for 2nd overall?! Are you kidding? JB hangs up immediately

Could see separate deals happening.  Short of Miller coming back or us signing Bishop I highly doubt the team would want to trade Marky, as he's probably the closest there is in terms of starter-quality goal-tending (Pavelec and Elliott are probably the best starter candidates, while Grubauer and Budaj aren't likely suited for the #1 role).  The Stars might also try to gun for Bishop as he's both got experience and stats reflective of starter status.

I'd be okay with the team dealing Tanev to Dallas for the 1st rounder, Lehtonen (retaining some salary) and a decent center or right-side D-man prospect (not Honka; Dickinson?). Then would think it's more likely that they just go after Bishop.

The Philly suggestion would likely work, agreed that their right-side D-men group is incredibly shallow.  It's just that the Flyers' prospect depth is pretty suspect outside of their young D-men (Ghost, Provorov, their physical guys) and highly doubt the first two (or Travis Konecny) would be available, so Vancouver might not be very interested in their assets.  That said, the 2nd overall for Tanev+ would probably work IMO.  

1 hour ago, scheif16 said:

Tanev + Boeser for 2nd overall?! Are you kidding? JB hangs up immediately

Oh of course he would as would I, but that would also be the case if JB called called Hextall and offered him Tanev straight up for the 2nd overall. 

47 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Oh of course he would as would I, but that would also be the case if JB called called Hextall and offered him Tanev straight up for the 2nd overall. 

If many teams are interested in Tanev ( Tampa, Toronto, Winnipeg,..???), there could be a bidding but if there is no interest in  tanev then its true what you said.

l would say we should make a deal either with Tampa or Toronto. We don't need the 2017 2nd overall when we get the 2018 1st overall ;) (hopefully!)

20 minutes ago, scheif16 said:

If many teams are interested in Tanev ( Tampa, Toronto, Winnipeg,..???), there could be a bidding but if there is no interest in  tanev then its true what you said.

l would say we should make a deal either with Tampa or Toronto. We don't need the 2017 2nd overall when we get the 2018 1st overall ;) (hopefully!)

Agree with you on the Tampa or Toronto. Would love to get Kapanen somehow out of TO personally 

Archived