The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects that could make big impacts next year

#1 OLLI JUOLEVI

Ollie Juolevi is a very talented young player, and people tend to underestimate him here on CDC. His style tends to get overlooked by many fans because he doesn't score as much as some other defenceman that were drafted after him, But what they don't see is the way he plays the game. Juolevi has elite vision and is very calm and patient with the puck. He rarely ever makes mistakes, he defends very well, plays a lot of minutes, and also puts up top notch numbers. The sky is the limit for this kid and he may just be a top 4 defenceman for us before you know it. The calmness in which he plays the game with is what's going to help him in the NHL. Also, just imagine him making some of these passes to Boeser, Dahlin, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Granlund in the future. Talk about potential to becoming a great team. The type of impact an elite playing defender such as Juolevi has on a team is huge, just think of Ehroff in 2011. Except Juolevi has the potential to be a way better player than Ehroff ever was. That should be very encouraging to us Canuck fans.

People seem to still be drooling over MT, thinking we took the wrong Knight while letting the better one fall to our nemesis in Calgary. Funny  thing about that is we have the same type of player with the same potential in Virtanen that everyone is hating on for no apparent reason. He is also a hometown kid so it makes it that much more ironic to me. Juolevi and possibly Virtanen will help you all forget about over-rated MT very soon.

(next year prediction: 7G 33A)

CHANCE OF MAKING NHL ROSTER NEXT YEAR: 90%

POTENTIAL: ELITE TWO WAY DEFENDER

PROBABILITY OF REACHING POTENTIAL; 85%

#2 BROCK BOESER

Brock Boeser is a very good sniper and he has proven it at every level he ever played in. Last year he started out really good but a wrist injury slowed him down but now that its healed the league better watch out. in his 1st 9 game stint in the NHL he scored 4G, which if averaged over 82 games would be a 36G season for the rookie. I'm not saying hes going to score 40+ goals next year but 30 is defiantly possible, but a 20-25G season will be amazing and he will do it unless an injury prevents him. I honestly see 1 or 2 50G seasons in his future, but that's just me, could become a consistant 30-40G scorer which would be great.

(next year prediction: 27G 24A)

CHANCE OF MAKING NHL NEXT YEAR: 95%

POTENTIAL: ELITE SNIPER

CHANCE OF REACHING POTENTIAL: 80%

#3 NIKOLAY GOLDOBIN

A very fast highly skilled player can do it all offensively. He can pass like a playmaker and snipe like a sniper, he even dangles like a dangler. He worked well with the Sedins last year and I feel he will be with them until they retire, they seem like a perfect fit with them. We got a steal trading Hansen for this kid and he is ready to breakout anytime now. I'm expecting a big year from him playing with the Sedins, and I'm sure the Sedins feel the same way.

(next year prediction: 20G 37A)

CHANCE OF MAKING NHL NEXT YEAR:95%

POTENTIAL: TOP 6 WINGER

CHANCE OF REACHING POTENTIAL: 95%

#4 JONATHAN DAHLEN

Like Goldobin, Dahlen is a very fast skilled offensive forwards. Where they differ is Goldobin is more of a playmaker than a sniper, but Dahlen is a better sniper than playmaker, which can work well if the 2 were lined up together in the future.Personally I think he has the skill to make the team and make an impact but he will most likey be told to go to Utica and devlop more of a defensive game before making the jump, which I completely agree with. he is 1 of the 2 underdogs that could really make a surprise in camp.

(next season prediction: Utica or Sweden will improve)

CHANCE OF MAKING NHL NEXT YEAR: 60%

POTENTIAL: TOP 6 SNIPER

CHANCE OF REACHING POTENIAL: 90%

#5 JAKE VIRTANEN

Very fast & strong power forward with great sniping abilities. Probably the most under-rated Canuck prospect due to not being able to secure a roster spot when given a shot as a 19 year old. Did he play bad? well he made mistakes but he didn't look lost to me. The thing about power forwards is they take longer to break into a men's league. Reason for this is they're used to hitting teenagers with next to no strength. Its a lot harder to knock a bunch f men over that's been doing NHL training for years. So Virtanen was sent down for 2 reasons. Work on his defence and get stronger. He done very well under coach Travis Green and even started picking it up offensively the 2nd half of the season. Fans unfairly criticize him because he never scored the points they wanted him to. Instead he did what management wanted and worked on his defence and strength. I hope he makes the team this year but there is a chance he's not quite strong enough, but when he does, you better believe he will make a big impact on the team.

(next year prediction: 45GP 12G 7A)

CHANCE OF MAKING NHL NEXT SEASON: 75%

POTENTIAL: TOP 6 SCORING PWF

CHANCE OF REACHING POTENTIAL: 85%

POTENTIAL 1ST RND PICKS

#1 GABE VILARDI

#2 CASEY MITTLESTADT

#3 CODY GLASS

#4 MIRO HEISKANEN

#5 CALE MAKAR

#6 TIMOTHY LILJEGREN

So there is some good news we can hold with us to help us get through this long summer. Just remember that were not as far from contention as you think, once our young guys learn the pro game the sky is the limit :)

IN THE MEAN TIME LETS CHEER ON BURROWS AND BIEKSA!!!

Boeser is at the top of my list.  It was a small sample size at the end of the year, but he seemed like a potential Calder candidate.

Also... 85% chance of Jake Virtanen becoming a top-six scoring NHL power forward?  You and I need to start making sports bets with each other.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Boeser is at the top of my list.  It was a small sample size at the end of the year, but he seemed like a potential Calder candidate.

Also... 85% chance of Jake Virtanen becoming a top-six scoring NHL power forward?  You and I need to start making sports bets with each other.

Wasn't really meant to be a ranking.

and yes 85% chance. I see him becoming a 1st line winger with bo and boeser and at worst a 2nd liner. middle 6 forward would be his floor imo.. feel free to let us know what you think our prospects potential is and chance of them reaching them

On 2017-05-04 at 2:10 AM, Hortankin said:

Wasn't really meant to be a ranking.

and yes 85% chance. I see him becoming a 1st line winger with bo and boeser and at worst a 2nd liner. middle 6 forward would be his floor imo.. feel free to let us know what you think our prospects potential is and chance of them reaching them

I think Jim Benning would gladly take a 50% chance at this point that Virtanen will pan out to be a top-6 scoring NHL power forward.  His floor isn't middle-six forward.  His floor is pretty much what happened to Nicklas Jensen.  There's no guarantee at all that he'll even be an effective NHL 4th liner.

I think you are seriously, seriously overstimating Juolevi's potential scoring if he makes the team next year.  I'd say let's shoot for 25 points and take it from there.  Our best forwards barely crack 40 points.  This team doesn't score.

I think Boeser will pan out.  Your predicted goals and points seem like reasonable numbers if things go well.  Let's hope his early success wasn't a Jason King kind of deal.

Goldobin?  I dunno.  I'm not expecting all that much, honestly.  Maybe a somewhat floaty 45-point guy in a couple years if he pans out.  Mayyyybe 55 points on a line with the Sedins but the worst plus/minus in the NHL.

Dahlen...  I have somewhat high hopes for him, but probably not as soon as next year.

Hopefully they all surpass my expectations, but I've seen a lot of players come and go over the years, and they don't all live up to their initial promise or potential.  If Goldobin were a 90-100% lock to be an NHL scoring star, it would have taken more than Hansen (career high of 39 points) to get him.

I have a feeling it's going to be Mittelstadt or Liljegren on draft day....

I'm not sure I'd consider Goldobin the most likely of those prospects to reach his potential - I think Juolevi and Boeser are more mature and complete players, and I'd probably consider that to be the case with Dahlen as well - not a criticism of Goldobin, just more of a boom / top-6-or-bust type player.

Boeser has the most ready tools to play full time right now. Juolevi, Dahlen could reach potential if the org are patient with them. Goldobin as News just said is a boom/top6 guy but his offensive skills are crazy good and hopefully coach Green can bring out a complete game in him. The OP's point projections are a little over the top..this team has had a tough time scoring goals in a league where it is tough to score at the best of times.

2 hours ago, ice orca said:

Lol i think all of us forgot Demko.

I didn't just realistically would rather him spend 1 more full season in Utica with a good team to see how he does. He has the skill to possibly make it next year but I'd rather be patient.

Utica is going to make some noise next year, bank on it

1 minute ago, -Stammer- said:

if Goldobin gets 20 goals next year I would be ecstatic

A full season playing with the Sedins will help that. Goldobin is going to have a big year off of a Sedin bounce back. I'd say anywhere between 16-23G is very doable for him.

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think Jim Benning would gladly take a 50% chance at this point that Virtanen will pan out to be a top-6 scoring NHL power forward.  His floor isn't middle-six forward.  His floor is pretty much what happened to Nicklas Jensen.  There's no guarantee at all that he'll even be an effective NHL 4th liner.

I think you are seriously, seriously overstimating Juolevi's potential scoring if he makes the team next year.  I'd say let's shoot for 25 points and take it from there.  Our best forwards barely crack 40 points.  This team doesn't score.

I think Boeser will pan out.  Your predicted goals and points seem like reasonable numbers if things go well.  Let's hope his early success wasn't a Jason King kind of deal.

Goldobin?  I dunno.  I'm not expecting all that much, honestly.  Maybe a somewhat floaty 45-point guy in a couple years if he pans out.

Dahlen...  I have somewhat high hopes for him.

For starter, new coach. While TRAVIS does like his 2 way game he also understands importance of puck possession and play tempo. He had a bad team last year and the team still seemed to control the play most times.

2. We have a better PP heading into next year. 

PP1

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Hutton Stecher

PP2 

Sedin Sedin Goldobin/Eriksson

Juolevi Granlund

Juolevi will get half those 33A on the PP alone next year. If all goes well

I think the predictions are highly optimistic, but I appreciate the enthusiasm.  I honestly haven't seen enough of most of these guys' play to make a lot of assessments of my own.  I have high hopes for Dahlen and Goldobin, but find it hard to believe that their chances of reaching their potential are as high as claimed in the OP, considering the fact that Dahlen was somewhere down around 4th in Ottawa's depth chart, and Goldobin wasn't even being played as a 21 year old by San Jose.  Even on our team which badly needed scoring he was a fringe NHL player and spent a quarter of his time in Utica.  Still, I see lots of potential in both players and wouldn't be surprised to see both succeed - though I am not as optimistic about the chance to reach potential.

I wasn't sure how Boeser was going to adapt to the NHL, but it looks like it hasn't at all been a problem for him.  I will up the prediction that he will play next year to 99%, and I think the chance to reach potential seems about right.

Joulevi hasn't at all impressed me, but I haven't seen him enough to form an educated opinion.  I like the OP's enthusiasm for him, and I truly hope he pans out as suggested.

As far as Virtanen, I think we are way off.  I think the chances are better than not that he doesn't actually meet his potential.  To be frank, I just don't think the kid is all that bright and his lack of hockey IQ is something that is hard (or impossible) to teach.  I believe he has the size and skill that will allow him to remain in the NHL, but probably as a 3rd liner at best.  I truly hope he proves me wrong, since he definitely has the physical tools to be a much better player.

Good post Hortankin, there is a lot to be excited about. It's nice to be optimistic.

I have a feeling Mittelstadt will go 3rd overall (DAL), he seems to be getting a lot of hype right now. I also have a feeling the Canucks will get Vilardi. Not upset over this, but then we'll wonder why JB didn't take Glass when he had the chance.

NJ - Hischier

PHI - Patrick

DAL - Mittelstadt

COL - Heiskanen

VAN - Vilardi

LV - Glass

Some nice prospects here.

Juolevi - One more year in London, to build up strength/size.

Boeser - Makes the Canucks (22 goals, 45 points)

Goldobin - Makes the Canucks (17 goals, 40 points)

Dahlen - A year in Utica

Virtanen - Makes the Canucks (10 goals, 25 points)

Archived