The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects that could make big impacts next year

48 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think the predictions are highly optimistic, but I appreciate the enthusiasm.  I honestly haven't seen enough of most of these guys' play to make a lot of assessments of my own.  I have high hopes for Dahlen and Goldobin, but find it hard to believe that their chances of reaching their potential are as high as claimed in the OP, considering the fact that Dahlen was somewhere down around 4th in Ottawa's depth chart, and Goldobin wasn't even being played as a 21 year old by San Jose.  Even on our team which badly needed scoring he was a fringe NHL player and spent a quarter of his time in Utica.  Still, I see lots of potential in both players and wouldn't be surprised to see both succeed - though I am not as optimistic about the chance to reach potential.

I wasn't sure how Boeser was going to adapt to the NHL, but it looks like it hasn't at all been a problem for him.  I will up the prediction that he will play next year to 99%, and I think the chance to reach potential seems about right.

Joulevi hasn't at all impressed me, but I haven't seen him enough to form an educated opinion.  I like the OP's enthusiasm for him, and I truly hope he pans out as suggested.

As far as Virtanen, I think we are way off.  I think the chances are better than not that he doesn't actually meet his potential.  To be frank, I just don't think the kid is all that bright and his lack of hockey IQ is something that is hard (or impossible) to teach.  I believe he has the size and skill that will allow him to remain in the NHL, but probably as a 3rd liner at best.  I truly hope he proves me wrong, since he definitely has the physical tools to be a much better player.

I agree with most you stated, but the bolded statement is a bit misleading, the 1/4 games spent in Utica were after the Nucks season ended. He was sent down for a few games to help with the comets playoff push, and showed well scoring 4 goals total in the final 2 games. Unfortunately they lost the last must-win game of the season 5-2. Goldobin scored both goals.

Dude, I appreciate your optimistic outlook on these prospects and as a life-long Canucks fan I truly hope they all pan out as good or better than your predictions. 

But as a life-long hockey fan I'm more realistic.

You really need to read some background information on the odds of the average NHL prospect's chances of making even a 100 games let-alone be an 'impact player' as you're suggesting. 

Start reading here:

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/6/27/5845256/nhl-draft-2014-analysis-luck

http://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

Prospects

Started with: A troubled Kassian, Gaunce, Horvat, Subban, Hutton and Jensen 

Added since: Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Molino, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lockwood, Pedan, McEneny, Juolevi, Brisebois and Demko.

And even though Tryamkin and Zhukenov went to the KHL, they could be back.

I think it's okay if we're optimistic.

My ranking would be:

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Juolevi, Dahlen.

-Boeser will get 20+ goals playing on PP.

-I think if Goldobin plays with the Sedins, then he will get 20+ goals. Skilled player who can keep the puck and pass the puck. I know it makes the whole line a defensive liability but it will be fun to see what they can do offensively against opponent's 2nd pairing D.

-Virtanen will probably start in the AHL but there is also a good chance that he will have an impact as a third liner. 

-Juolevi has a good chance to make the team with Tryamkin's departure and since we will most likely lose a defenceman either via trade or expansion draft. But it's just hard for me to imagine a 19 year old defenceman having a big impact in his first season.

-Dahlen probably won't make the team. First, he needs to adjust to the NHL ice, which may or may not go so smoothly. Second, he has to adjust to the physicality of the NA style. Probably best place to start is AHL for him.

Last year we saw a transition happen. Burrows and Hanson left. Bo Horvat proved that he is a solid top 6 Centre, a leader and future team captain, Troy Stetcher and Tyramkin showed that they can be top 4 NHL caliber defencman. Unfortunately Tyramkin went home.  Granlund and Beartchi had break out seasons. Brock Boesser showed us in his brief time playing that he is a top 6 winger. Erikkson was a mistake we know that now. The highly intellectual Sedins have one season left on contract and then I think they will retire. For their last season as team veterans and team captains new coach Travis Green will lean on them heavily to eat up minutes, teach the young players what it means to be a pro, a to an extent teach Green what the NHL is about.  Last season was hard to watch at times but it is a process that needed to happen as we move into the next generation of Vancouver Canucks! 

Next season I hope Vancouver can develop a new first line that the more players get PP opportunity. 

All that said I feel we need to have another transitional year. I expect the team will look similar to this. 

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Beartchi Horvat Boesser 

Gaunce Sutter Eriksson

Bouchier Chaput Dorsett 

Shore 

Edler Stetcher 

Sbisa Gudbranson

Juolevi Biega 

I think Green is going to make Virtanen earn his spot on the roster and that will not happen right away. I feel thats going to be better for Jake in the long run. He will know his hard work is what got him the spot and he will feel like a contributing piece of the team. 

Juolevi had a great season in London and is ready for the jump to the NHL. Since Tyramkin left we now have a spot for Juolevi. But this means we will need to protect Sbisa. If possible I really hope Benning can trade Erikkson.  Maybe Erikkson, Tanev, and the 33 to Dallas for the 3rd round pick? 

I am hopping next season Juolevi shows us he deserves a spot in the NHL like Stetcher did last season. I am hopping we continue to see Boesser improve as a legit first line winger. Also half way through the season I hope to see Virtanen make the jump to the NHL and beat out Gaunce or Bouchier for a spot. If we can get those three prospects to have successful NHL seasons that will be good. Also looking for continued improvement from Beartchi and Granlund. In Utica I am hopping Goldobin and Dahlen go and play on the Comets together and add size and chemistry with our other prospects. Also looking forward to big things from Gaudette, Lockwood, McEwan, Brisebois and Mckenzie. 

We will likely finish near the bottom again next season and land another quality draft pick. It will be the 2018/2019 season that the new generation of the Canucks starts to come together. #gocanucksgo

Good post, but I'd be careful putting too much expectation on our prospects.

That was exactly what happened to Virtanen, and when it didn't materialise straight away, there started to be big disappointments.

Hope they all pan out, but won't put too high expectations on them.

1 hour ago, khay said:

My ranking would be:

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Juolevi, Dahlen.

-Boeser will get 20+ goals playing on PP.

-I think if Goldobin plays with the Sedins, then he will get 20+ goals. Skilled player who can keep the puck and pass the puck. I know it makes the whole line a defensive liability but it will be fun to see what they can do offensively against opponent's 2nd pairing D.

-Virtanen will probably start in the AHL but there is also a good chance that he will have an impact as a third liner. 

-Juolevi has a good chance to make the team with Tryamkin's departure and since we will most likely lose a defenceman either via trade or expansion draft. But it's just hard for me to imagine a 19 year old defenceman having a big impact in his first season.

-Dahlen probably won't make the team. First, he needs to adjust to the NHL ice, which may or may not go so smoothly. Second, he has to adjust to the physicality of the NA style. Probably best place to start is AHL for him.

Our leading scorers barely reached 20 goals, Boeser and Goldobin have never played a full 82 game schedule in the NHL. Granlund will likely be with the Sedins so where does Goldobin fit? Boeser and Baer probably with Bo so that leaves Goldobin on the outside looking in, i don't imagine 6x5 on the 4th line giving way to him.

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I agree with most you stated, but the bolded statement is a bit misleading, the 1/4 games spent in Utica were after the Nucks season ended. He was sent down for a few games to help with the comets playoff push, and showed well scoring 4 goals total in the final 2 games. Unfortunately they lost the last must-win game of the season 5-2. Goldobin scored both goals.

oops - my mistake then.  I didn't realize, and 100% concede that point.  I thought I had remembered him being sent down because WD was unimpressed with his play, but I must have completely mis-remembered that scenario.

Still - while I like what I've seen from him at times, I don't think we've seen nearly enough to determine if he is likely to reach his potential or not.  This coming season will be very telling.

There's good reason for optimism. With our increasing pool of prospects, we're finally able to see the high-end possibilities of what could be from a best case scenario perspective. There are just so many individual factors at play right now as we look to the future.

One significant thing stood out during Green's press conference was when he mentioned that he recognizes some guys in their development actually need to go up and down between Utica and the big club.

When he said that, I immediately thought that's going to open the door for several young guys. I don't think "making the team" will be so absolute. Sounds to me like it'll be more fluid. Especially with more guys "knocking on the door." That also lays the groundwork for whoever we draft at #5.

I think we'll see Dahlen and Juolevi early but they'll need more time. I can see Virtanen and Goldobin going up and down to let others in the door. On D, it's likely Subban and Pedan will come and go. Basically, we'll likely see a bit everyone throughout the season.

Boeser is a lock to "make" the team all season. 4G, 1A in 9 games. That screams "ready."

The numbers in this thread are utterly delusional and have absolutely no basis in reality.  For instance, let's just take a look at Dahlen:

POTENTIAL: TOP 6 SNIPER

CHANCE OF REACHING POTENIAL: 90%

We can look up his actual chances, not just his insane, wishful-thinking-chances.

Dahlen only has a 10.5% chance of becoming a top-6 player, not 90%!  The numbers are off by nearly an order-of-magnitude!

And, Virtanen having an 85% chance of becoming a top-6 NHL star power-forward?!?  How utterly ridiculous!  He's looking no better than a career-ECHL or AHL'er right now.  95% chance for Goldobin becoming one of the best players in the NHL???  Where did these numbers come from?  Pulled right out of someone's ass?...

Optimistic  is good

I have hopes for our young prospects - I do believe some will crack the line up - some will spend time in Utica or where ever and some will fall by the wayside

I am hoping the ones falling by the wayside are few and far between or we can trade them for something

Bring on the draft - bring on training camp - looking forward to seeing what we ice next fall

Not as optimistic. I think it will be a rather quiet year as the Twins do their swan song. As Green suggested there will be increased movement between Utica and Vancouver which should give prospects a taste. I do believe Green will revert to a active 4 line roll. IMHO Baer and Granlund have to come back with another strong year to firmly establish their NHL bonafides. I am actually more excited about Granlund than Baer.

I do not see Joulevi in the NHL next year. Dahlen, Godoblin and even Boeser are all question marks. These players might take some time and no problem with that. The biggest concern in my mind is the d-core. I am confident in Gudbranson. What will JB do at the ED and does he have a deal pending to avoid losing a top 4 quality d-man? If he moves Edler or Tanev what comes back? I am OK if it is draft picks for 2018 but he might surprise and bring back a NHL ready prospect.  

Good read. Enjoyed the optimism. Your predictions are completely out to lunch though. If we get 2/3rds of what you're predicitng out of these guys, we should be EXTREMELY happy. But it's nice to see some youth in the pipeline. Looking forward to the draft!

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Good read. Enjoyed the optimism. Your predictions are completely out to lunch though. If we get 2/3rds of what you're predicitng out of these guys, we should be EXTREMELY happy. But it's nice to see some youth in the pipeline. Looking forward to the draft!

You may be being optimistic. I'm thinking that at the end of next season we will be happy to see 25% of the op's predictions come true. Definitely looking forward to the draft.

This post is offtopic and may be of little interest to some.

I find this thread interesting, not so much for the content itself as what it says about the fans posting.

The original poster and several others are very optimistic.  Most of the players have an excellent chance of reaching their potential.  It will be an exciting year.  I suggest those posters represent the fans that want to cheer for their team night in and night out and want to always believe in their team.  They are fans year in and year out, always wanting their team to win and always wanting to be given reason for immediate excitement.

Some others look at the predictions/chances of reaching potential as being unrealistically high (a view I subscribe to.)  Some are quite pessimistic.  Some are more like agnostics-they don't expect much for the next couple of years but are prepared to wait and see on the prospects.

For myself, I have no expectations for the 2017-18 Vancouver Canucks so am far more interested in what prospects are making an impact a few seasons from now than whether they make an impact in 2017-18.  I don't see it being very important for most of them to make an impact in the NHL in 2017-18.  For instance, if we saw the following next season I'd be satisfied.

Goldobin-played a reasonable part of the season, at least, in Vancouver, with some moderate degree of developmental success

Virtanen-a successful season in Utica with some time with the Canucks in which he didn't look out of place-just enough for him to sign a fairly cheap bridge contract (with hopes that he breaks out another season or two later)

Demko-progress in Utica, hopefully within a couple of further years of being an NHL goalie

Juolevi-puts on muscle and his game develops accordingly, with him playing somewhere, anywhere-showing signs of being able to be a 1st pair d-man 2 or 3 more years down the road (I'd be happy if the Canucks can afford to let him play another season in junior, letting his elc slide, but think it likely they'll play him in the NHL next season.)

Boeser-again, while he may well be good enough to play and do well in the NHL next season, I wouldn't be unhappy at all if he led the Utica Comets in scoring and showed us what he will be capable of in the future.  I really do hope he will be an impact player in the NHL-when the Canucks are good enough to be a playoff team again.

Dahlen-I have hopes for him for the future.  I really don't care much whether he breaks out right away, though, but would be happy if he shows signs of breaking out in the future.  If he were to star in Utica next season I'd be fine with that.

New draft pick-I don't expect the 2017-1st rounder to make the Canucks in 2017-18 and am fine with that.

Obviously, I am happier than some with slow-cooking prospects while others really want to see them have an effect either way.

I understand the point of view of the do or die fans wanting excitement next season.  Obviously I also understand the point of view of those that have a less optimistic view and want to build for the future more than see excitement next season. 

The interesting thing about this to me is the idea of both groups, here for different purposes (one group for excitement and positive reinforcement, the other more for discussion and debate about direction of the team-and yes, only mentioning two groups and two purposes is an oversimplification) try to coexist on one forum.   Obviously, with Canuck fans coming from such disparate viewpoints and being here looking for such different things, there will be tensions and problems with one group wondering what the #*_#! another group can be thinking and why they are ruining the forum with their unrealistic or disloyal opinions.

Cheers to those of all viewpoints.

Archived