The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Graphs ranks GMs

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

We're still missing a top C and an elite puck moving PPQB.  

Those unfortunately could be the toughest pieces to get  (eg., D with offensive skills almost always carry a premium - that's why a number of them tend to get way overpaid in free agency).

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Those unfortunately could be the toughest pieces to get  (eg., D with offensive skills almost always carry a premium - that's why a number of them tend to get way overpaid in free agency).

For sure - also why it's going to take awhile for us to find some via the draft.

Either lucky late rounders that also blossom late or we need to get even luckier with the lottery.... or maybe a Tanev+ deal?  Not something that just falls into your lap, even after 3 years.

43 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

For sure - also why it's going to take awhile for us to find some via the draft.

Either lucky late rounders that also blossom late or we need to get even luckier with the lottery.... or maybe a Tanev+ deal?  Not something that just falls into your lap, even after 3 years.

My memory might be a little off but wasn't Linden himself originally a winger but shifted to center because of our then lack of depth there?  Maybe we'll get lucky again?

20 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

My memory might be a little off but wasn't Linden himself originally a winger but shifted to center because of our then lack of depth there?  Maybe we'll get lucky again?

Not sure about Linden, but the more quality we get the better the odds I guess.   Granlund is a natural Center as well - so we can keep an eye on his progression along with our 1OA this year and Gaudette.  

Better than nothing!

23 hours ago, Toews said:

Jarmo Kekalainen was a failure according to many fans till his team took a jump in the standings. That's what it will take for Benning to silence his critics. He will have to draft, develop. and construct a winning team.

Here is Benning's GM record thus far:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=131807505&postcount=1

Instead of thread just bashing the source I thought we can actually have a discussion about how good Benning really is compared to his peers. Where would you rank him compared to other GMs?

At best I have him in the middle of the pack. He will have to hit a home run or three for this team to contend for the Cup. 

On 5/4/2017 at 10:11 PM, Aircool said:

Jim Benning was specified as the worst GM, but not only that, one of the 3 worst drafters... Now I criticize him all the time, but there is no way I can agree with that. The only real miss you could say he's had would be Virtanen... Regardless of how he pans out, that was a bad pick given the success of so many players drafted below him, but I don't necessarily buy that that was his pick anyways. I could TOTALLY see ownership wanting that pick, given the backstory.

If you are the GM of a team, you cannot always blame the ownership for your failures. You sign on to do the job, if you do not have the autonomy to do your job correctly, you are still a bad GM. The good GMs wouldn't stand for ownership meddling. That is where his overuse of the word character blows back in his face. Character people quit jobs if they are not given the resources to succeed.

JB for sure is one of the worst drafters in the NHL. He wasted a 1st round draft to pick McCann whom he himself thinks is too under-sized to play such that he has to trade McCann away a year later. He again wasted a 6th pick on Virtanen who, according to JB, has an attitude problem that Virtanen has to be dumped to the AHL for 1 year. Why would any  GM draft players he believes won't be successful in the NHL? JB was supposed to be a former scout, to my surprise.

My comments with regards to the Gillis era prospects had to do with this management group not bringing them up to be observed by Benning in a NHL game situation. Many other AHLer's were traded for that might not have been as good the home grown and developed prospects, Etem for example or Vey both got more than just a cup of coffee on the big team.

Post's from the late Gillis era were quite stoked on Cassels but he hasn't seen the light of day in the NHL, Archibald is big, fast, truculent and the leading scorer in Utica, how did he look this year? I must admit they did seem to be excited about Rodin. Jensen, once away from the Canucks and Green's tutelage just put up over 35 goals in the AHL, how many players has Green developed? It seems all the ballyhooed prospects have not been developed by the new head coach in the development league, even their own draft picks, maybe management should have looked into that instead of just trading picks/players for other team's castoffs?

If anyone wants to see Benning in action when at Boston, just look it up on youtb*e, they had a series of behind the scene's in Bruin's management. No scouting in those.

Archived