The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Capitals trade Ovechkin?

HKSR

Should the Caps trade OV?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So with the Caps likely to be knocked out of the playoffs AGAIN... is it time that the Caps look at trading the face of their franchise? 

As of today, it looks like OV has been relegated to the 3rd line in practice!  OUCH!

Moving OV could bring the Caps a TON of assets.  However, the challenge remains whether or not a team could afford his cap hit.

Just throwing an idea out there, how about a team like Winnipeg?

To WASH: 

Dustin Byfuglien

Nicolaj Ehlers

Logan Stanley

1st Round Pick

To WPG:

Alex Ovechkin

Having a 1-2 punch on the wings of Ovechkin and Laine??  SCARY....!  How the heck do you stop them when they're on separate lines and separate PP units? lol

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

So with the Caps likely to be knocked out of the playoffs AGAIN... is it time that the Caps look at trading the face of their franchise? 

As of today, it looks like OV has been relegated to the 3rd line in practice!  OUCH!

Moving OV could bring the Caps a TON of assets.  However, the challenge remains whether or not a team could afford his cap hit.

To WASH: 

Dustin Byfuglien

Nicolaj Ehlers

Logan Stanley

1st Round Pick

To WPG:

Alex Ovechkin

Having a 1-2 punch on the wings of Ovechkin and Laine??  SCARY....!  How the heck do you stop them when they're on separate lines and separate PP units? lol

Same way many teams have stop Crosby/Malkin in the past.  Their depth is going to be so weak they might score 5 goals but will let in 6 every night.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Same way many teams have stop Crosby/Malkin in the past.  Their depth is going to be so weak they might score 5 goals but will let in 6 every night.

Crosby/Malkin?  Like how the other 29 teams couldn't stop them last year in their Cup win?  Or this year when they're likely to win again if Crosby is healthy?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering OV's age, contract, and lack of playoff success, maybe he's got not such high value?  

MAYBE... but he's still OV.  He's 1 year removed from 3 straight 50+ goal seasons and if placed in the right situation, could be a huge threat.  The lack of playoff success can't be pinned on him completely.  He still has 89 playoff points in 94 games. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

To WASH: 

Dustin Byfuglien

Nicolaj Ehlers

Logan Stanley

1st Round Pick

To WPG:

Alex Ovechkin

:lol: 

Unbelievable.

Prior to the draft last year, there was "chatter" in Washington from fans saying that the Capitals should trade Ovechkin to the Jets for the 2nd overall and draft Laine. It was discussed on TSN1290 in Winnipeg and people were laughing at it.

This is the same here. As a Jets fan, I wouldn't trade Ehlers alone straight up for Ovechkin. Not because Ovechkin is bad, though. I love Ovechkin. That said, that doesn't even solve the need the Jets are facing, which is LHD and another goaltender to help shoulder the weight for Hellebuyck.

In fact, the discussion in Winnipeg is whether they should part with Ehlers for Hanifin. Carolina is stacked with great, young defensemen and need help up front. Unfortunately it appears as though Chevy trading Ehlers isn't likely, as he said just last week that Ehlers is going to be a Jet for a long, long time. Now, this could be postering. Who knows?

What I do know is that your package is such an overpayment by the Jets, it's silly. They are creating more holes and problems with that trade. It literally doesn't solve anything for them.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Crosby/Malkin?  Like how the other 29 teams couldn't stop them last year in their Cup win?  Or this year when they're likely to win again if Crosby is healthy?

What about the Penguins from 2010 to 2015, where they got ousted in the 1st round 3-4 times and only made the conference final once during that span?

That trade is insane for one, there is no way that the Jets ever do this. 

Why wouldn't the Caps consider moving Ovi? He and his team are on the verge of blowing it again. If they do then why not kick the tires to see what's out there as options? 

9 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

What about the Penguins from 2010 to 2015, where they got ousted in the 1st round 3-4 times and only made the conference final once during that span?

So they're supposed to win it every year I guess?  With potentially 3 cups in the 9 years we're talking about (he also didn't play in 2011 due to his concussion, so it was really 8 years), I think you and I know that stopping Crosby and Malkin consistently is not a treat for any team.

PS - the Jets trade is just an example ... I just think OV's name alone is worth a ton for any team (read as "Owners" here).  OV being moved to even a team like Arizona would likely sell out their arena on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

So they're supposed to win it every year I guess?  With potentially 3 cups in the 9 years we're talking about, I think you and I know that stopping Crosby and Malkin consistently is not a treat for any team.

Up until last year it was 1 in 7.  Technically they were in their prime as well, Ovechkin is slowing down

Also, Crosby/Malkin ­­­> Laine/Ovechkin

Neway the past two years showed that Pittsburgh learned from their previous years when they had no depth.  Now with guys like Kessel, Bonino and bringing young guys like Guentzel they are a much deeper team.  By making this trade, Winnipeg would be depleting and already thin line-up, especially on defense. and will waste the few good years OV has left. 

21 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Up until last year it was 1 in 7.  Technically they were in their prime as well, Ovechkin is slowing down

Also, Crosby/Malkin ­­­> Laine/Ovechkin

Neway the past two years showed that Pittsburgh learned from their previous years when they had no depth.  Now with guys like Kessel, Bonino and bringing young guys like Guentzel they are a much deeper team.  By making this trade, Winnipeg would be depleting and already thin line-up, especially on defense. and will waste the few good years OV has left. 

Not sure the logic in why you just skipped last year and made a conclusion of 1 in 7 rather than 2 in 8 (2 in 7 if you take out 2011 since Crosby wasn't playing)... lol, but okay.....

I don't think we're giving Winnipeg a lot of credit for their depth... that trade would just be an OV and Ehlers swap at the front.  How did that really hurt their depth up front?

On defence, yes, losing Buff could be a hit... but Trouba is ready to break out with 33pts in 60gms, and they still have Enstrom, Morrisey, and Myers.  Not to mention picking at #13 could potentially land them one of Foote, Makar, Hague, Valimaki, or even Liljegren if he slips that far. 

Ovie means too much to that market to trade. They will give it another kick at the can, as the should, next year. If next year is unsuccessful then I think this conversation starts getting had. Ovie will carry just as much value (if not more if he has a bounce back year) next year. I say they wait.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

To WASH: 

Dustin Byfuglien

Nicolaj Ehlers

Logan Stanley

1st Round Pick

To WPG:

Alex Ovechkin

This trade would send Winnipeg Jets backwards. Why would they trade their top defenseman and one of their top young players for an aging superstar that doesn't show up when it counts? I don't think scoring is an issue for the Jets, rather they need a strong goaltender.

I get that it is an idea, but it needs to make sense...

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

To WASH: 

Dustin Byfuglien

Nicolaj Ehlers

Logan Stanley

1st Round Pick

To WPG:

Alex Ovechkin

Series ain't over......Caps in 7. Caps for the cup. 

Archived