The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Will Not Sign D Carl Neill

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Couldn't we sign him, and then trade him for a pick?  Why just do nothing, and get nothing?

If no one is willing to trade for him we would be stuck with another contract, but yeah he was a 5th round pick and is 20, but had a strong season so theoretically we should be able to get a return on him.

Seemed to show some promise, but there are quite a few D-men ahead of him on the depth chart, it would be hard for him to ever get a look.

I'd rather save the contracts for some college and CHL free agent signings. 

Considering how shallow our prospect pool is, this puzzles me.  Over a point per game Dman in junior despite being an overager.

Benning said last year's prospects tourney that Carl needed to work on skating and his own zone work.  Must've not liked what they saw this past season.

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe it's to allow Utica to offer him a contract instead?

If he gets passed over in the draft then we could sign him to an AHL-only contract, but we have a fair number of defencemen slated for Utica so no guarantee he gets in there even.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering how shallow our prospect pool is, this puzzles me.  Over a point per game Dman in junior despite being an overager.

Benning said last year's prospects tourney that Carl needed to work on skating and his own zone work.  Must've not liked what they saw this past season.

Juolevi, Subban, McEneny, Pedan, Brisebois, and possibly even Raddysh (if they sign him) would be ahead of Neill.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Juolevi, Subban, McEneny, Pedan, Brisebois, and possibly even Raddysh (if they sign him) would be ahead of Neill.

Yeah but Tryamkin and probably Sbisa out of picture gives Juolevi a legit shot at making Canucks roster.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

even Raddysh (if they sign him) would be ahead of Neill.

Kinda hoping this Neill decision signals a move toward inking Raddysh. If it came down to one or the other, I'd definitely take Raddysh over Neill.

That said, I'd prefer Neill to a few of the guys we have given contracts to.

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah but Tryamkin and probably Sbisa out of picture gives Juolevi a legit shot at making Canucks roster.

There's also the possibility we take a D-man in the first round, which would make it even harder for Neill.

Aren't Tryamkin and Larsen still on the roster until 30 June?  I noticed that CapFriendly have removed both of them.

If they are then there is only one more contract spot available re the 50 contract limit.

9 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I haven't watched him play, but he seemed to improve points wise every year and put up a solid playoff performance with 11 points in 13 games, so there must be more to this story...

As an overager those are actually pretty average point totals.

D-men with over a point per game can be signed quite easily through free agency. My guess is his skating has still not reached the level they were hoping.

This one is a 50/50 to me. I'm okay with the choice, but I'd wouldn't mind signing him either. As DeNiro has pointed out, we have a pretty deep core on defense; Neill would be very hard pressed to make an NHL career here unless he dramatically surprised.

Archived