The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Will Not Sign D Carl Neill

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty sure the 50 man limit remains intact for each contract season (July 1st through June 30th).

Like you said, slide eligible contracts may exceed the 50 man limit. But as far as having more than 50 contracts (slides excluded), there can't be more than 50 that are effective during a particular season.

But theoretically, if you had only one year deals, you could have 100 contracts signed at one time, so long as 50 were for the current season, and a different 50 were for the following season.

But as I understand it, there can be no more than 50 contracts effective during any one season (again, excluding slides). And as far as contracts go, the "season" runs July 1st through June 30th.

Teams can't have more than 90 players under control - counting all players under contract but also those who have been drafted but not yet signed (eg Gaudette).

I was wondering if Larsen and Tryamkin are still on the Canucks.  My understanding is that to void a contract before the end of it's term the player would have to go through unconditional waivers - or is that only for contracts who have term left beyond the season.  

CapFriendly shows 47 contracts spots used (Juolevi and Brisebois don't count - otherwise they are at 49) but they have removed Larsen and Tryamkin.  So if Tryamkin and Larsen still count they are at 49 contracts (51 with Juolevi and Brisebois) which leaves only one spot available - there seems to be some interest in Raddysh.

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So what's the deal with our ECHL team. Do we have an affiliate now? 

Was wondering that,.  and if this is a possible reaction to the news earlier this year that the Alaska Aces will be folding?

Without any disrespect to Utica or Alaska and their fans,.  It Would be nice to see and support a farm club closer to Vancouver.

I see the AHL has been shuffling and expanding to the western side of the continent more,.  Something that could be in the best interest of the ECHL too.

Sorry to see Alaska lose what is probably their only pro team in anything ?  

Real fans of this sport are part of the Cult,. They have a history there, that has had Hockey return from something like this before, hope it makes it back.

4 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

How does a 21 year old go back into the draft?

Canucks Army has a good explanation: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/05/05/report-canucks-wont-sign-2015-draft-pick-carl-neill/

For the purposes of the NHL draft, Neill is considered to be in his age-21 season (according to section 8.10 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement), despite the fact that he won’t turn 21 until July 6th. The Canucks have until June 1st to sign Neill to an Entry Level Contract, after which they will lose his negotiating rights. He will now go back into the draft and available for selection on June 23rd and 24th in Chicago. Similar to the spirit of waivers, he cannot be a free agent unless he was eligible to be selected during the last draft and went without being picked (section 8.9 (b)(i)) – he was not eligible in 2016 because he was on the Canucks’ reserve-list as an unsigned draft pick (section 8.6 (a)(i)).  If he is not selected in 2017, he will be free to sign with whatever team he choose, as he will be ineligible for subsequent draft (section 8.4 (a)(iv)) and will thus become a draft-related free agent (section 10.1 (d)).

• 10 months later...

Hey folks, just watched unb vs Concordia last night in the first game of  the usports championships.

Carl Neil plays for Concordia, they got rolled lest night by unb (yay!) however what I saw of Neil I’m alittle disappointed the Canucks let him go. Smooth skater,

made some great passes

Had a lazer of a shot. 

Made great choices with and with out the puck. 

He wasn’t very physical however that might be the knock on him. 

He took a nasty hit from one of our guys (might have been from behind)

he got right back up and played with a nice chip on his shoulder. 

Oh and he lead d men in points this season as a rook

5 minutes ago, JL44 said:

Hey folks, just watched unb vs Concordia last night in the first game of  the usports championships.

Carl Neil plays for Concordia, they got rolled lest night by unb (yay!) however what I saw of Neil I’m alittle disappointed the Canucks let him go. Smooth skater,

made some great passes

Had a lazer of a shot. 

I think that CN was a victim of the 50 man roster. Possibly, he might have been offered an AHL contract. The CHL university option was obviously too sensible to throw away.

I was surprised that he was not offered an ELC. Perhaps there's a gentleman's agreement in place !

I think that JB painted himself into a corner with some of his early ELCs. Once you get over 45 ( +/ - ) contracts, you start to limit your options.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that CN was a victim of the 50 man roster. Possibly, he might have been offered an AHL contract. The CHL university option was obviously too sensible to throw away.

I was surprised that he was not offered an ELC. Perhaps there's a gentleman's agreement in place !

I think that JB painted himself into a corner with some of his early ELCs. Once you get over 45 ( +/ - ) contracts, you start to limit your options.

I hope their is a gentleman’s aggrement inplace. 

He was only -1 in an 8-1 game. 

I know our rhd depth could be better and he would look good in the pipeline. 

Oh ya and there was a really strange play where all three forwards got kicked outta the face off, there was mass confusion on concordias behalf and Carl came in and won the offensive draw. Haha it was pretty funny. 

On 2017-05-05 at 5:53 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks don't sign Neill, that leaves Subban and Chatfield as the only RHD prospects in the organization.  Not the end of the world obviously, but RHD who can play always seem to be sought after.  Not saying that Neill could play - his numbers improved (I edited this - previously read his stat line wrong) but who knows.

I'm not familiar with Neill's game but I'm curious how he compares to a guy like Ashton Sautner.  They're obviously 2 years apart in age and Sautner has logged close to 100 AHL games but IIRC, Sautner was signed as an overager.  I wonder if this is one of those WHL vs QMJHL things.

For his sake, hopefully he'll get a camp invite.  Otherwise, as has been suggested already, perhaps he'll get an AHL contract with the Comets.  I presume he would need some seasoning in the ECHL at that stage.

Is he a righty?

On 2017-05-05 at 6:10 PM, ReggieBush said:

but...but... I just got a signed stick from him.:(

If left undrafted good chance he will be given an ECHL or AHL contract or PTO.

If he gets drafted that's ok. Jim is the masterscout. I cannot mock or challenge his expertise.

3 hours ago, JL44 said:

made some great passes

Had a lazer of a shot. 

That is good news for CN. His knock was his lack of physicality with his big body. But also he was not a great skater at all. If he has learned to skate better he could be a legitimate prospect again. His offensive game was always good.

Archived