The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Will Not Sign D Tate Olson

Stelar

10 hours ago, ice orca said:

At least we don't have listen to some posters saying how Neil and Olsen were good picks.

Yeah, it's sure annoying seeing those silly Canucks fans express positive hopes for the team's prospects. Much better to poop all over them the way you do, right?

Canucks Army with a good piece on Olson: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/05/05/report-canucks-also-wont-sign-2015-draft-pick-tate-olson/

Notes how Olson's disappointing 2016-17 season saw his odds of NHL success (based on their pGPS model) drop from 30% to a mere 7% (similar to Neill's chances).

Assuming Benning saw something similar to what the models were predicting, it makes sense the Canucks moved away (rather than tie up more contract slots on ELCs with low success odds).

Article also mentions Vancouver possibly being in on two superior D prospects in Darren Raddysh and also pending NCAA free agent (and now 2017 Hobey Baker winner) Will Butcher. Both of whom (especially Raddysh) have much better odds of success based on the models. And both also having more favourable scouting profiles at this point.

16 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Aquilini trying to make up for money lost by firing Willie?

These kinds of comments highlight how incredibly stupid our fanbase is.

Aquilini is nowhere near as cheap as Melynk (Ottawa's owner) is. Heck, even Edmonton's owner is incredibly cheap. The new Rogers Center I'm pretty sure is paid for by taxpayers because he didn't want to pay out of pocket. I'm sure there's an article on that if you're looking for it.

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

These kinds of comments highlight how incredibly stupid our fanbase is.

Aquilini is nowhere near as cheap as Melynk (Ottawa's owner) is. Heck, even Edmonton's owner is incredibly cheap. The new Rogers Center I'm pretty sure is paid for by taxpayers because he didn't want to pay out of pocket. I'm sure there's an article on that if you're looking for it.

No, it highlights how little sense of humour you have. 

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks Army with a good piece on Olson: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/05/05/report-canucks-also-wont-sign-2015-draft-pick-tate-olson/

Notes how Olson's disappointing 2016-17 season saw his odds of NHL success (based on their pGPS model) drop from 30% to a mere 7% (similar to Neill's chances).

Assuming Benning saw something similar to what the models were predicting, it makes sense the Canucks moved away (rather than tie up more contract slots on ELCs with low success odds).

Article also mentions Vancouver possibly being in on two superior D prospects in Darren Raddysh and also pending NCAA free agent (and now 2017 Hobey Baker winner) Will Butcher. Both of whom (especially Raddysh) have much better odds of success based on the models. And both also having more favourable scouting profiles at this point.

Any word on a new ECHL farm team for the Canucks Sid?    I understand the Alaska Aces have folded.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Any word on a new ECHL farm team for the Canucks Sid?    I understand the Alaska Aces have folded.

I think there's still a bit of musical chairs going on with the affiliations.

Alaska and Elmira folded but the ECHL also added an expansion team (Worcester) and Jacksonville (formerly Evansville) has returned after being on hiatus. A few NHL teams have shifted affiliations already under the new landscape.

I'd expect Vancouver will find themselves with a chair somewhere once the music stops.

On 2017-05-05 at 7:08 PM, King Heffy said:

A pick that late is a long-shot anyway.   If Benning isn't happy with his development and thinks we're better off signing an undrafted UFA or 2, that's the right decision.  I like Benning's willingness to walk away from a mistake.

Great points. But I would also add that drafting someone 210th overall, or the second last pick in the draft, and then walking away from him two years later shouldn't really be considered a mistake. I mean he was two spots from not being drafted at all...

22 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Not really a big loss, and neither is Neill.... obviously we can't know at this point what they'll turn out to be in the future, but we're limited by contract spots and it just wouldn't be wise to sign them to play them both in the ECHL. The defense situation in Utica next season is going to be somewhat crowded and the signing of Chatfield pretty much guaranteed that one of Olson/Neill wasn't coming back.

That both of them are being let go perhaps says that management has an eye on another player like Raddysh. So if JB and staff evaluate that Chatfield and Raddysh are better than Olson and Neill, then it really is no loss. Brisebois will also be joining Utica, and Cederholm should be returning from Sweden. Subban. McEneny, and Sautner are already there, maybe Pedan too if say McEneny or Juolevi beat him out for an NHL spot. Then you'll need probably 2 UFA AHL vets to help stabilize and shelter the green kids coming in. We don't have space to develop that many defensemen at once.

Although I do find it laughable that Mackenze Stewart has an ELC. Probably one they wish they could undo, or terminate.

Cederholm = Mattias Ohlund 2.0?

19 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Great points. But I would also add that drafting someone 210th overall, or the second last pick in the draft, and then walking away from him two years later shouldn't really be considered a mistake. I mean he was two spots from not being drafted at all...

I entirely agree with you but good luck convincing the "sky is falling" crowd.  I do really like Benning's willingness to move guys he traded for (Bonino, McCann) and view this as another example where he's not trying to force a fit that's not there.

21 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

None of those players are top six forwards in the NHL, or top four dman. 

Maybe McEneny based off his play in the AHL, and that one game he played in the NHL with the Canucks last season. 

Pedan, jury's still out on what kind of dman he can become

LaBate, Zalewski, Grenier, Rendulic - those players are players that are bottom six - even middle six is stretching it for those guys. 

Garteig - seems like a backup role if he ever does make it to the NHL. 

Im not too familiar with Rendulic, but I really liked Labate's game when he was up with the big club. Solid meat and potatoes player that drops that gloves, and thats a pretty good skater on top of that. If he keeps his effort level up, could be a half decent 4th liner in the Dale Weise kind of mold

Archived