The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article - Video replay is ruining professional sports

either way people will be unhappy. When they didn't have video review on GI, etc. There was uproar at wrong calls and there still is with review. I think that there should be video review still because it usually makes the right call, and the more good calls the better I guess

26 minutes ago, Hockey Stache said:

I'm not sure officiating has progressed so much over the years to warrant the league is now bush league. Officiating wasn't much better before all the replays and networks having cameras at every angle to nitpick every single play. Like SabreFan says, 18 years ago the Sabres got screwed by a Hull skate. What about the refereeing back in the '70's, 80's or even before then? Sure there were issues with missed calls and errors but it was accepted to an extent. Unfortunately, now we have much better technology that allows for immediate and minute reviews. I am a purist and wish that all sports would cut out all the tinkering and coaches challenges and reviews. I'm not saying don't use the technology we have available but keep it for whether or not the puck goes in the net, the ball goes across the line, if the ball is in fair territory or in foul territory, etc.

It also seems to me that video review gets wrong just as many times as it gets it right. Just ask the Oilers about Kesler's hand on Talbot's pad the other night.

I get what you're saying, but sometimes it's equally important how the puck went into the net. If it goes in off a highstick, if there was goalie interference, if the play was offside, etc. I think the reviews should just be left to Toronto though instead of the officials on a tiny iPad.

53 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

I get what you're saying, but sometimes it's equally important how the puck went into the net. If it goes in off a highstick, if there was goalie interference, if the play was offside, etc. I think the reviews should just be left to Toronto though instead of the officials on a tiny iPad.

I get your argument as well but how far does it have to go then? As they are already reviewing what "affected" the play to rule the whether it is a goal or not then nothing should be subjective to referees. They should just be skaters on the ice to drop the pucks and stop players from fighting. The rest of the game should be officiated with technology and use review on everything. Penalty calls, off side, icing, whether or not high-sticking is 2 or 4 minutes, game misconducts, etc. Take it all away from the referees and nothing will be subjective and all calls should be right because technology tells us it is. Once you start down this road it will eventually be a slippery slope that leads to sporting events managed by computers. Sounds like monotonous no fun to me.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It's not ruining the sport, it's revealing how incompetent NHL officials actually are.

I hope the NHL is looking to address better referee training in the future, because it's making the NHL look bush league right now.

Referees don't have the luxury of super slow mo high definition replays when making real time decisions with the naked eye.

The length of time it takes for the offside calls to be determined is definitely excruciating.  I'm old school so I lean towards mistakes are the way it goes.  one of the reasons I enjoy hockey is the speed of the game and that includes on ice calls and continuity of play.  There are other sports I simply don't  watch because of the delay between plays.

i also doesn't like the way the goalie interference rulings are headed.  There is a lack of scorIng nowadays, imo, and breathing on a  goalie who is almost out of his crease anyway should not rule out a goal.  The example I'll use recently is one of Corey perrys goals where at the most, his skate made contact with talbots at the line of the crease and yet the length of video review and the ensuing broadcasting panel drama was a joke.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

To be fair, the speed at which the game it is played now doesn't make it any easier.  Things like checking to see if the puck actually went across the line are one thing because it can be missed, but allowing someone to speed-bag an opponent's face without a penalty is inexcusable.  If they get into checking for things like penalties then it's going to interrupt and slow the game down even more.

They still get simple cases of goalie interference wrong though. That's either incompetence, or a case of the rule book having too many grey areas. Either way they need to make improvements to maintain the integrity of the game.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Referees don't have the luxury of super slow mo high definition replays when making real time decisions with the naked eye.

We're talking about replays though, in which they still get it wrong.

So yes they do have the luxury now.

2 hours ago, Hockey Stache said:

I get your argument as well but how far does it have to go then? As they are already reviewing what "affected" the play to rule the whether it is a goal or not then nothing should be subjective to referees. They should just be skaters on the ice to drop the pucks and stop players from fighting. The rest of the game should be officiated with technology and use review on everything. Penalty calls, off side, icing, whether or not high-sticking is 2 or 4 minutes, game misconducts, etc. Take it all away from the referees and nothing will be subjective and all calls should be right because technology tells us it is. Once you start down this road it will eventually be a slippery slope that leads to sporting events managed by computers. Sounds like monotonous no fun to me.

That's why it's important to find a balance between what can be reviewed, and what cannot. I agree completely removing the role of the referee would make the game very mundane, so I think the video review should just be there to assist with making sure the right call is made. For the most part refs get calls right, but it's that 1% of calls they miss that get so much scrutiny, and they shouldn't be the reason a game is won or loss. 

If anything I think they need to increase the reliance on video replay. I don't give a $&!# about a bs call being "part of the game" its not, its the game being taken away from the players and placed at the whims of the officials. My dad watches a ton of cricket and their use of video replays is amazing. They even predict the trajectory of the ball when looking at a leg before wicket call (the ball was going to hit the wickets but the batter put their leg in the way).

The only issue I would have with using video replays for every call is if it slowed down the game.

Definitely have a bias opinion on the matter, part of me believes it's making the games fair for everyone, but part of me believes it's making people to make decisions in slow motion rather then real time which forces wrong outcomes.

Will add though my imo on the Kesler interference with Talbot or not. Personally as much as I hate Kesler and know he's cheap and will try and cheat to win, no doubt he interfered with Talbot and got his hand glove in his pad to prevent him from trying to move a bit, but at the same time Nurse pushed him into Talbot in the first place which gave Kesler the opportunity to do his antics. If Nurse never pushed Kesler into Talbot and Kesler tries something like that there would of been no goal, but it's unfortunate but Nurse started it by pushing Kesler into Talbot in the first place, they both were in the wrong, but I believe the goal stood because of Nurse pushing Kesler in there in the first place.

I think video review is a necessary evil. Nobody likes to have the game they are watching held up for minutes on end. But the alternative not only risks fan support, but the possibility of corruption ie. the NBA ref scandal.

Technology can only get faster, with higher resolutions etc... So that refs should be able to determine reviewed plays quicker and with greater clarity in the future. And please, can Gary provide on-ice officials with something more than a small iPad? They do know that you can get a 15 " or bigger iPad or other tablet now don't they?

In the future, I could foresee technology advancing to use nano tech to implant tiny sensors at the front and back of skates, and sensors installed at blue lines and goal creases, as well as of course the puck itself. So that the process would be as simple as just checking the program. Hey, they wouldn't have to even splurge on a bigger iPad for that!

And the argument that the video replay folks in TO still get it wrong (tell that to Willie), is not an argument IMO. Because human error will always be an issue, but if we can reduce that human error by using technology then why not?  I'd much rather be delayed by a few minutes in a game to get the call right (in most cases) than find out after the game that a goal should not have counted against my team. Because its not just that an opponent is given a gift of a goal, its the momentum shift in a game like hockey that can occur when a team might feel "tonight is not our night". It shouldn't effect how a team plays, but it does. They are human.

On 2017-05-08 at 3:39 PM, DeNiro said:

It's not ruining the sport, it's revealing how incompetent NHL officials actually are.

I hope the NHL is looking to address better referee training in the future, because it's making the NHL look bush league right now.

It doesn't matter how much training goes into it. Human error will always be there. You do have to take into account how vision works (see the quote in my sig). We're all subject to optical illusion, or the brain simply misinterpreting what the eye is seeing. It's very common when things happen quickly.

I be happy with only reviewing whether the puck crossed the goal line or not. For the rest, well just play the game and accept the human error element. It really is getting to be too much reviewed.

On 2017-5-8 at 4:39 PM, DeNiro said:

So having to slow things down to a frame by frame speed makes the officiating incompetent? Maybe if the refs were given bionic eye transplants we wouldnt have these issues.

Archived