The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tanner Pearson 4 years, 3.75

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Would a 5yr x 6m or 6yr x 5m deal mean we are doomed? I don't see JB splashing an 8yr x 5m deal.

I'd gladly take 6 year 5 million... If Jimbo pulls that or 8 years 5 million I'd be shocked. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

There are other things to consider as well. For example, Horvat is two years younger and has played as many games and has more points than Pearson. Horvat's best season is already better than Pearson's. Bo plays more PK minutes, lesser PP time and more ice time overall. Horvat is a center and Pearson is a winger, therefore Bo has to take faceoffs and be more responsible defensively as well. Pearson's only edge is probably his physical game.

Honestly if Bo gets a long term contract for 6m, it'll be a steal, but it seems like a lot of people will cry about it anyway. Pearson's contract seems pretty standard for what he provides. If he continues to trend up, then his contract will be a bargain in the 3rd and 4th years.

You make some great points and I agree Bo is worth more. Long term contract at 6 mill is surely not deserved, at least not yet. If he wants 6 he has to sign a short bridge deal... 

If Jimbo can do 5+ years at anything under 5 mill, that'll be fair. 

7 hours ago, apollo said:

I'd gladly take 6 year 5 million... If Jimbo pulls that or 8 years 5 million I'd be shocked. 

You make some great points and I agree Bo is worth more. Long term contract at 6 mill is surely not deserved, at least not yet. If he wants 6 he has to sign a short bridge deal... 

He can do a short bridge and continue to improve and he will be looking at 7-8 million long term if he does all that he provides and gets his points up to 70-80. If we sign him long term now at 6, he gets overpaid for about a couple of years but then he becomes a bargain.

Of course I'd take him for 5 million a year, but I'm thinking if he does a bridge contract, it'll already be at 4-5 million. If it's long term, he has to be asking for more, especially if it's long enough to buy into UFA years which is only 4 more years away I believe.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He can do a short bridge and continue to improve and he will be looking at 7-8 million long term if he does all that he provides and gets his points up to 70-80. If we sign him long term now at 6, he gets overpaid for about a couple of years but then he becomes a bargain.

Of course I'd take him for 5 million a year, but I'm thinking if he does a bridge contract, it'll already be at 4-5 million. If it's long term, he has to be asking for more, especially if it's long enough to buy into UFA years which is only 4 more years away I believe.

Ok what if he doesn't get 70-80 points though? 

I rather take that risk TBH. 

9 hours ago, apollo said:

Ok what if he doesn't get 70-80 points though? 

I rather take that risk TBH. 

You don't have to put faith into him, he can sign a 4 year deal and walk. There's an added cost to buy UFA years. Even at 60-70 points a year plus everything else he provides, 6 million a season is not going to be much especially if the cap continues to rise. If Benning can get him to sign for more than 4 years at 5 million a season, I think people will need to stop saying that he cannot negotiate contracts. 

On 5/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, apollo said:

You haven't been watching if you think Bo's contract will start with a 5. Hell he'd be more likely to get a contract starting at 7 then 5. 6m minimum at 5 years minimum for Bo. Bank it.

8 hours ago, Mattrek said:

You haven't been watching if you think Bo's contract will start with a 5. Hell he'd be more likely to get a contract starting at 7 then 5. 6m minimum at 5 years minimum for Bo. Bank it.

I've watched almost every single game he's played since coming into the league. 

Sean Monahan is a good example of a player clearly better than him by a notch. He got 7 x 6.375... If Bo gets 7, he should really be thanking his agents and Jimbo's disabilities when it comes to #'s. 

7 x 5.5 for Bo should be the max

On 2017-05-12 at 1:41 AM, Mattrek said:

One 50 point season earns him a 7mil contract? I love Bo but at best he should be in the 5-6mil range. 

I'm thinking around 4.5m for a 2 or 3 year bridge deal for Horvat. If he wants term I'd say 6m is the highest Jim should go, no more.

I also think Bo is a character kid who won't demand the moon in negotiations. I think they'll come to a deal thats fair for both sides.

Archived