The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks could trade up according to Darren Dreger

ynwa

37 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

True enough.   However that's why I'm all for taking the hit this year in order to solidify next year's draft position. 

Find some team possibly landing in the top 10 of the draft in '18 and give them a package of Tanev/prospect/pick for their first. 

This gives us both increased lottery odds and/or the option of trading up when the NHL screws us in the lottery. 

I would trade Tanev this year, his Limited Ntc doesnt kick in until July i believe. Giving us possibly more teams to negotiate with. I would be aiming for a Drouin/Reinhart, but i dont think that would happen. So i would settle for a fast young /gritty 3rd line lw with upside, a young defenceman, mid first round pick and a 3rd or 4th. I would then try and move up and grab 1st or 2nd overall and get our center this year. Next year is going to be another top 10 pick and next years draft is LOADED with top dmen and not a lot of solid centers, other than Veleno/Tkachuk and that player from the Steelheads im forgetting atm. 

Anyways that would be my strategy. But im content picking where we are right now. 

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I find Tanev's value difficult to determine.  

Larsson, whose game is "similar" in that he doesn't produce much offense and is more of a defensive stalwart, was traded for Hall, a former 1st overall pick and a legitimate 1st line scoring forward (who was also 1 year older than Larsson).  Larsson is a bit bigger than Tanev and is 3 years younger.  

I'm not sure if I would say that Larsson is more durable than Tanev, but he has essentially played 2 full seasons over the past couple of years whereas Tanev has not played more 69 games in a season since he made the Canucks.  Larsson arguably also has more offensive potential - I don't think anyone is worried about Tanev shooting from the point.

At the same time, Tanev is a legitimate top 4 defenseman, which are costly.  I think a combination of Tanev being a RHS together with his age, injury history and somewhat one dimensional play (not entirely true, but results on the offensive end of the ice have been limited) would put his value anywhere between a mid-to-late 1st+.

Teams looking for D are going to be looking at the free agent crop as well.  Shattenkirk is not renowned for his D but he is a highly prized FA.  Alzner is more a defensive defenseman but has a good track record and I presume would also be a prized FA.  Tanev's main advantage against these guys is that his salary is already determined and is very reasonable.

If Tanev is in fact traded, I'm expecting a mid-1st+ unless a team with a top 10 pick REALLY values him.  Would be shocked if a team with a top 5 pick flips their pick for Tanev alone, but I guess that's possible.  Again, it depends if a team happens to REALLY like Tanev.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

For the 1 or 2 OA pick? Absolutely.

Third pick however is quite interesting. For starters, there's very little spread in value between picks 3-10'ish. It really isn't worth terribly more than our 5th or ARZ's 7th for example. The only real additional value is if a team has a specific player there with a specific skill set they prefer. The players themselves are all quite comparable value.

Dallas also has a massive goalie conundrum (cap dump Lehtonen, and lookie... we need a short term, veteran backup), they need a solid top 4D who can play D (Tanev) and a quickly narrowing contention window as incentive.

There's a deal to be had there IMO.

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Would it really take too much? The top 2 are not generational talents, and there are question marks everywhere (other than maybe Heiskanen):

• Nolan - injuries
  • Nico - size; faded near the end of the season; didn't dominate the last international tournament
  • Mittelstadt - level of competition
  • Vilardi - slow skater
  • Glass - skating; got cut from Team Canada
  • Liljegren - poor numbers and bad decision-making this year; size
  • Makar - size; level of competition
  • Petterson - too skinny
  • Rasmussen - overall skill level
  • Tippett - doesn't pass enough

There is question  marks with every one. But my point was it would be a step up from 3-4. I personally think moving up to 3rd would be doable but going beyond would cost a bit too much for my liking. 

6 hours ago, firestorm238 said:

Not sure why people would be adding on to Tanev for first OA.  Tanev is worth more than first OA this year. 

1st OA = Ballpark it as a 60-70% chance at 1st or 2nd line centre. 
Tanev = guaranteed elite (from a fancy stats perspective) shot suppression D

Given the current market for D, they're of equal value at the very least.  Frankly, I'm not sold enough on Patrick or Hischier either way to make this move.  If the plan is to trade Tanev I think there will be better packages available.

Lol no chance 

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

We've been spoiled with back to back generational talents

This is true - but the irony is that the most typical claim of this draft is that it's "not a deep draft" - which I find a bit silly to claim let alone as far back as some people were claiming it.  People will project a year or two ahead of time that a draft will be deep or shallow - I think it's nonsense to pretend to predict the development and emergence of literally thousands of potential draftees - 15,16,17 year olds - years in advance.

It usually boils down to the impression they get of a few players at the top of the draft - who don't define the depth of a draft.

2 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Boeser plus our second for first overall. 

The only player we got bar Horvat, who looks like being the real deal, and you want to give him up for 1OA in a draft like this?

1 hour ago, teepain said:

The canucks should absolutely draft a forward with #5 . 2nd rounders are where the secret #1 defensemens are . We longtime canuck fans know this

What good defensemen have the Canucks ever drafted in the 2nd round?  Is there one?  Jiri Slegr?

On the other hand, the best defensman to ever wear a Canucks jersey was a first rounder - Ohlund.

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Tanev is not elite,

He has no offensive game and therefore cannot play the type of minuetes required of a top Dman

Add that to his lack of durability which is another essential characteristic and you'll get a more realistic view of his value.........oh and besides....

ARE YOU NUTS?! How much can someone overvalue the players on a horrible team like ours? BIG change comes with BIG moves for BIG talent, you want to hang on to the Tanev's of this world and NOTHING will ever change around here

It's pay to play people, if you are too squeamish for the buy in, you don't play poker at the big boy table............god, Canadian's drive me nuts sometimes, Canadian's never want to RISK anything, they always think what they have is soooo valuable everyone is trying to rip them off, so they stick their heads in the sand and wait for an act of god, CHANGE comes when you DO something.....It's funny that it took an American GM to pull this team back from the brink of relocation in the 90's, and he did it with the biggest riskiest deal in Canucks history,

I would think the fans of this team would learn from the past and stop clinging to the Bryan Allen's and Josh Holden's of the world.

Honestly, if we have an opportunity to draft one or two this year, then we throw everything not named Horvat or Boesser at it. Do do any less would be insane

P.S with the draft lottery the way it is now, we may not get a shot at a top pick .........ever, if the opportunity s there we need to grow a set and grab it (The opportunity, not the set.....what the hell lets grab both)

Just for accuracy, a Canadian by the name of Pat Quinn brought this team back from the brink.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What good defensemen have the Canucks ever drafted in the 2nd round?  Is there one?  Jiri Slegr?

On the other hand, the best defensman to ever wear a Canucks jersey was a first rounder - Ohlund.

Nope. Best Canuck d-man ever, Pat Quinn. :P:P

I can't see New Jersey moving unless there is a player that they like better than Patrick/Hischier that they know will be there at a later pick spot. I think they pick because they need a scorer badly. 

Philly, I'd say they are a lot more likely given they have some good, young players in the system and on their roster. As for what I'd be asking for from Vancouver if I was the Flyers, I'd be looking for 5, Virtanen and a 2nd Rd pick. 

I think the a Philly and Vegas deal is something to watch. Maybe Vegas gives them No. 6 a 3rd Rd pick and a promise of who they'll take in the expansion draft for the No. 2 pick. 

4 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

I can't see New Jersey moving unless there is a player that they like better than Patrick/Hischier that they know will be there at a later pick spot. I think they pick because they need a scorer badly. 

Philly, I'd say they are a lot more likely given they have some good, young players in the system and on their roster. As for what I'd be asking for from Vancouver if I was the Flyers, I'd be looking for 5, Virtanen and a 2nd Rd pick. 

I think the a Philly and Vegas deal is something to watch. Maybe Vegas gives them No. 6 a 3rd Rd pick and a promise of who they'll take in the expansion draft for the No. 2 pick. 

Yeah, I don't see much hope (or need) moving in to the top 2. 3rd spot is ripe for the plucking though IMO.

Archived