The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Vancouver Sports Bar angers Canucks fans

cuporbust

Vancouver sports bar Oilers support   

193 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Industrious1 said:

This is someone that obviously doesn't understand the traditional interplay between these two cities and their hockey teams.  You may appeal short-term to some Oilers fans in the city but i'm going to assume that their bread and butter is Canucks fans and this is going to rub quite a few of them the wrong way (which is already evident apparently).

Honestly, they can do whatever they want and if this gets them some dollars during this dry spell then that is their prerogative...but it may hurt them in the long run.

Yep. Especially when there are tons of other places to watch the nucks. Doesnt take much for hardcore fans to walk into the next place instead. 

It's a Sports Bar.   It's for a Canadian Team,  would like to see them do the same for the Sens...  no biggy.  

Just great to see Canadian teams in the playoffs... otherwise I wouldn't be watching anything until the cup final.

Definite head scratcher move. Don't understand how you don't see this coming. I get Van is dead in the water right now but come on. Alberta teams are the closest thing we have to "rivals". Whatever, doesn't rub me the wrong way. Do whatever you want with your business. Give a deal to people with NYR Messier jerseys too. :) 

personally i dont care as a nux fan.

but i know these types of businesses really count on playoff time for revenue and so when the nux arent in the playoffs, it really hurts business...so from that standpoint, i am glad they are trying things to get the business in.

i hate to see businesses fail, not good for anyone.

Well, if more Canucks "fans" went to this pub during these playoffs then there might not be a need for this type of event. How much business is your fave watering hole going to be doing while the Canucks re-build/tool and are out of the playoffs for the next few years? Are you going there to watch playoff games which involve other cities' teams? I suspect not.

Leave it alone, it's small stuff.

regards,  G.

33 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

not a big deal but wtf would you offer this to a hated rivals fans? why not Ottawa fans instead where an ex Canuck is playing? :picard:

Well, Kassian.... :P

regards,  G.

31 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So Ottawa wasn't even considered?

Maybe they figured to do this for the Sens (as well), but Ottawa won their series before the pub could offer it? :)

regards,  G.

9 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

It actually accomplished a lot, I have to tip my hat to them. People are talking about their establishment in a way they never were before.

If your the owners and you happen to be reading this, nice job!

Lol. I dont think that applies in this case.....then again , maybe it will end up being good for them seeing as they offered nux fans the same deal, plus a gift certificate now.  Lol. People definitley know about the specials now. Lol

Just now, cuporbust said:

Lol. I dont think that applies in this case.   

Oh sure it does, was there a topic on there Pub in these forums yesterday or the day before? No, it accomplished something believe me.

Wait wtf WAS the name of the pub I seriously have to scroll up. Maybe your right haha

Just now, Shirotashi said:

Oh sure it does, was there a topic on there Pub in these forums yesterday or the day before? No, it accomplished something believe me.

Wait wtf WAS the name of the pub I seriously have to scroll up. Maybe your right haha

Ya i just added to my post. U may be right. 

52 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So Ottawa wasn't even considered?

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It's a Sports Bar.   It's for a Canadian Team,  would like to see them do the same for the Sens...  no biggy.  

Just great to see Canadian teams in the playoffs... otherwise I wouldn't be watching anything until the cup final.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

The Black Frog, which is owned and operated by ex-Edmontonians, has been an Oilers bar since it opened in 2005. That was the season of Edmonton’s improbable — and ultimately heartbreaking — march to the 2006 Stanley Cup Final.

“That Stanley Cup run kept this place going that first year,” said Sherbank, who hails from Sherwood Park, Alberta.

The Oilers fell to the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 7 of the 2006 series and then went on to miss the playoffs 10 seasons in row, before finally — thanks to young superstar Connor McDavid — qualifying this year.

“The Black Frog has almost been like a safe haven for Oilers fans. When you are in here, it doesn’t feel like you are in Vancouver. It feels like you are backing watching the Oilers in Edmonton,” Sherbank said. “We get Canucks fans come in here and it’s like they’ve entered enemy territory in their 

hometown. But usually they handle it pretty well … they recognize we’ve been through 10 years of suffering and misery". 

I don't like it, feels disrespectful in a strange way. I agree that supporting the Sens would've been much nicer, but I understand they're more interested in capitalizing on the Oilers success. Lot of Oilers fans here and near and that means lots of customers. I won't be one of them.   

54 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

This is someone that obviously doesn't understand the traditional interplay between these two cities and their hockey teams.  You may appeal short-term to some Oilers fans in the city but i'm going to assume that their bread and butter is Canucks fans and this is going to rub quite a few of them the wrong way (which is already evident apparently).

Honestly, they can do whatever they want and if this gets them some dollars during this dry spell then that is their prerogative...but it may hurt them in the long run.

Vancouver is a crappy sports town.  It's a faux-Canucks town as well.  

This is a bandwagon town.  

Archived