The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rant about smoking drivers who pollute

Slegr

Almost every time I see a smoking driver ahead of me, they end up tossing their cigarette butt out the window.

Why is that?

It's littering, yet society seems to let it go. You don't see people who finish their coffee just toss the cup out the window. 

Smokers seem to get a free pass with littering. Cigarette butts all over the street are disgusting, not to mention a fire hazard.

Screw you all you smoking drivers who pollute. I hope someone tosses your cig butt back into your car the next time you toss it.

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Interesting.  It says:

"Nanaimo RCMP say if you see someone disposing of a lit cigarette, call them on their non-emergency line at 250-754-2345 and provide the following information: plate number of the vehicle, vehicle description and the description of the driver. Also, what direction the vehicle was travelling and its last known location."

I'm risking being a distracted driver to record it the next time I see it happen, then calling police. Vigilante justice.

Just now, Slegr said:

Interesting.  It says:

"Nanaimo RCMP say if you see someone disposing of a lit cigarette, call them on their non-emergency line at 250-754-2345 and provide the following information: plate number of the vehicle, vehicle description and the description of the driver. Also, what direction the vehicle was travelling and its last known location."

I'm risking being a distracted driver to record it the next time I see it happen, then calling police. Vigilante justice.

Is this person really the issue?

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Interesting.  It says:

Vigilante justice would be if you pulled the driver out of the car and beat the crap out of them. Calling the authorities to deal with it is pretty much the opposite of vigilante justice.

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Interesting.  It says:

I'd love to be proven wrong,  but let's face it, they're not going to do anything to these filthy polluters even if you do provide all that information. 

I mean if they're not doing anything to known drug dealers,  gangsters,  molesters,  ect....they're not going to do anything to smokers.

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'd love to be proven wrong,  but let's face it, they're not going to do anything to these filthy polluters even if you do provide all that information. 

I mean if they're not doing anything to known drug dealers,  gangsters,  molesters,  ect....they're not going to do anything to smokers.

in the higher forest fire areas in the province people are very aware of the cig butt thing and its taken very seriously by the police , the  min of forestry, the public. you,ll be ratted out quite quickly.. and charged.

I wonder why it is that smoking drivers throw the cig butt out. Is it because they use their built-in ashtrays as coin collectors? Or do cars even still have built in ashtrays? Is it they just can't be bothered to clean out an ashtray? 

Any driving smokers who admit to polluting, please feel free to weigh in.

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

in the higher forest fire areas in the province people are very aware of the cig butt thing and its taken very seriously by the police , the  min of forestry, the public. you,ll be ratted out quite quickly.. and charged.

Assumed the OP was referring to the average filthy smoker driving down the street in an urban area - could be wrong though.   

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Or do cars even still have built in ashtrays?

The last vehicle I bought new had a 'smoking package' as a separate stand-alone option.   It included the ashtray and lighter - if you didn't opt for it you got an extra cubby storage with 2 USB charging ports instead. I got the chargers.

Years ago some guy threw a cd out his sunroof.

i did stop and grab it.  Next stop light, back through the sun roof it went.  The expression was priceless.

maybe collect a bag of butts and save them for the next person who tosses there dart remnants out their window.

14 hours ago, Fanuck said:

So what do you eat?

e: why is it a problem of substance and not pathology?

I don't smoke. My wife does. That's her choice. She always has the respect to go outside to do it away from me and not stink up the house. She gets pretty pissed off, as do I, when we see people throw their lit butts out a car window.  It's a sensitive issue here in the Okanagan because of the fire potential.  Every summer we see it happen over and over. Most of the time it's people with Alberta plates.    PS - Buddy of mine rides a bike. Had a young lady throw her butt out the window out on the highway between Vernon and Oyama as he was riding behind her and hits him in the face. Again,  Alberta plates. 

Archived