The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rant about smoking drivers who pollute

Slegr

Nice...

http://glbn.ca/CZOb1d

Vancouverites can now be fined $500 for improperly discarding cigarettes

A number of new changes to the City of Vancouver’s fire bylaw could cost offenders a pretty penny.

From now on, Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services says a fine of $500 can be levied against anyone who discards burning material that creates a hazardous situation.

Anyone tossing cigarettes or other burning material onto grass, vegetation or debris can be fined by a fire prevention officer or police officer.

Capt. Jonathan Gormick, public information officer with Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services, told Global News no such fines have been levied before.

“We have always had a massive increase in the number of vegetation brush fires through the month of July, August and September, specifically in 2015 when we had that extremely dry season.”

Gormick says previously the only fine that could be imposed was for littering, but it did not reflect the degree of hazard that was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

“With this new increased fine and with the ability for both fire prevention officers and police officers to issue it, we are hoping it encourages people to discard cigarettes in an ash tray or one of the numerous smoking material receptacles throughout the City of Vancouver,” he said.

In addition, fines of $750 per day can now be levied against property owners who leave unoccupied buildings in an unsecured state to help combat an ongoing increase in vacant-home fires and vandalism.

Gormick says there were close to 40 fires in vacant or unoccupied properties in Vancouver in 2016.

Finally, anyone found to have maliciously activated a fire alarm system, or falsely and maliciously reported a fire could now be subject to a $500 fine.

On 10/05/2017 at 8:33 PM, Toews said:

Vigilante justice would be if you pulled the driver out of the car and beat the crap out of them. Calling the authorities to deal with it is pretty much the opposite of vigilante justice.

When I was about 12 I was walking home from school and car passed by me and flicked a cigarette out of the window and it hit me in the face. I picked up the cigarette and kept walking, about half a block away I see the car pulls into a driveway and the guy goes into the house. As I walk past I see the window is down so I casually tossed the cigarette into the car. I did notice that it was absolutely filled to the brim with garbage but I didn't think much of it and thought the driver would return to a hole in his fabric or something along those lines. I go home (about a block away) and about a half hour later I hear a bunch of sirens so I go out and walk towards them and I arrive at the scene just as the fire-fighters had finished extinguishing the now charred black interior of buddy's car. I turned around and went home and never told anyone about it until just now.

12 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

When I was about 12 I was walking home from school and car passed by me and flicked a cigarette out of the window and it hit me in the face. I picked up the cigarette and kept walking, about half a block away I see the car pulls into a driveway and the guy goes into the house. As I walk past I see the window is down so I casually tossed the cigarette into the car. I did notice that it was absolutely filled to the brim with garbage but I didn't think much of it and thought the driver would return to a hole in his fabric or something along those lines. I go home (about a block away) and about a half hour later I hear a bunch of sirens so I go out and walk towards them and I arrive at the scene just as the fire-fighters had finished extinguishing the now charred black interior of buddy's car. I turned around and went home and never told anyone about it until just now.

That's a pretty great story. I can't believe you haven't told anyone. I would have definitely blabbed about it to my friends pretty much the moment it happened lol.

Just now, Toews said:

That's a pretty great story. I can't believe you haven't told anyone. I would have definitely blabbed about it to my friends pretty much the moment it happened lol.

I was really scared I was gonna get caught TBH. For a few days I had all kinds of thoughts like they were gonna fingerprint the cigarette and there would be police knocking at my door. I was super paranoid for like a week but then I pretty much forgot about it until reading this thread. 

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎13 at 5:14 PM, Two one one said:

But I didn't start the topic.

Do we really need to be utilising emergency resources on people who smoke?

If people did not litter with their still dangerous butts, there would be no need for emergency resources.

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

No, there is actually not that many electric vehicles out there.

Cool story bro. You must be living out in Atlin or thereabouts. Watch out for forest fires from tossed cig butts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 0:16 PM, Aladeen said:

I was really scared I was gonna get caught TBH. For a few days I had all kinds of thoughts like they were gonna fingerprint the cigarette and there would be police knocking at my door. I was super paranoid for like a week but then I pretty much forgot about it until reading this thread. 

Hilarious, unless the guy reads this thread, he's gonna think the fire was his fault (cherry blew back into the car upon disposal).

I smoke but I don't throw my butts out the window. Living in the Shuswap (like the Okanagan), fire threat is always high in the summer. I would rather not see my area burn to the ground due to some careless act by someone who doesn't give a $#!t. I don't mind people attacking the ignorant smokers, but don't rope all of us into that category. Some of us do give a $#!t.

On a side note, rant to campers that do not extinguish their campfires. Smokers or not lol

Saw a video once from Florida where cops were in a boat on the water checking to make sure recreational shrimpers were using their measuring things to make sure they only took adult shrimp. Every boat they approached where a guy on board was smoking they would get ready to write a littering ticket and sure enough while they were there the guy would, without thinking, toss his cigarette butt into the water. Big ticket plus they made him go get it back. The guy said it happened every single time.

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Offensive Threat said:

Saw a video once from Florida where cops were in a boat on the water checking to make sure recreational shrimpers were using their measuring things to make sure they only took adult shrimp. Every boat they approached where a guy on board was smoking they would get ready to write a littering ticket and sure enough while they were there the guy would, without thinking, toss his cigarette butt into the water. Big ticket plus they made him go get it back. The guy said it happened every single time.

Disgusting. I was walking behind a smoker yesterday, and tried to get ahead of her so I wouldn't be sucking in the secondhand fumes, and then she litters half the cigarette on the ground. Weird, leaving half of it unsmoked on the sidewalk. I almost said something, but she looked a tad on the nut side.

Archived