The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WCF: (P1) Anaheim Ducks vs. (WC2) Nashville Predators | Predators win series 4-2

2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 3   

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Ducks in 4
    • Ducks in 5
    • Ducks in 6
    • Ducks in 7
    • Predators in 4
    • Predators in 5
    • Predators in 6
    • Predators in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

6 pm weekday LA traffic plus the Angels game next door means it's next to impossible to get anywhere by car around there. It will fill up over time.

There's a commuter train option from downtown Los Angeles that stops between the 2 venues, though. 

OT was bound to favour the more rested  preds.  The ducks had some good moments but early they looked like they were fighting passes.  I think the ice gets worse at Honda as the game goes on.  Silfverberg is fun to watch - all around skills.

23 minutes ago, McDavyCrockett said:

The Oiler fans at HF are embarrassingly petty and salty. Reveling in the Ducks defeat just because of hurt feelings from the fact that they beat us.

**** I hate my fan-base sometimes.

lol, &^@# the ducks. why wouldn't they be salty? kesler legit cheated and got away with it. 

49 minutes ago, McDavyCrockett said:

The Oiler fans at HF are embarrassingly petty and salty. Reveling in the Ducks defeat just because of hurt feelings from the fact that they beat us.

**** I hate my fan-base sometimes.

Why would you hate your fan base?  The league tried from start to finish to hand the series to Anaheim. In the coming years, no one, not even Bettman with Daly and their corrupt cronies will be able to stop that juggernaut.  This coming from a dyed in the wool Nux fan. 

The Preds should have been a Cup contending team 2-3 years ago with their defence with Weber, but now it looks like Ellis, Josi and obviously Subban are playing well in the playoffs too, not just the regular season. You put 3-4 40-50+ point defencemen on your blueline and you'll have success. Now they've got the firepower up front too and even that started thanks to a nice drafting of Jones.

I've got a feeling JB is taking notes and going to try and replicate the Predators by drafting a lot of defencemen in the next year or two and using them to acquire forwards. May not be the right way to go about it, but it's worked for Nashville. They've got all the pieces for the puzzle, whereas the Ducks still arguably lack a true elite top defenceman and there's no way Gibson wins this goalie duel.

In my books, a good core has always been:

A) 1 top center: Has to be good defensively, score 60+ points

B) 1 decent 2nd line center. Has to be better defensively, good on the PK

C) 1 Norris-trophy worthy defenceman.

D) 1 very decent top-4 defenceman

E) 1 skilled top-6 scoring winger

F) 1 either top-6 winger or top-4 defenceman

G) 1 red-hot goalie. Not necessarily Vezina-worthy but just has to turn it on in the playoffs

You could argue to E and F could be left out, but this recipe is tried and tested and follows just about every cup winning team. 

Blackhawks - Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Hossa, Niemi/Crawford

Kings - Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Mitchell, Brown, Gaborik, Quick

Penguins - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Maata, Kessel, Bonino, Martin

Predators - Johansen, Fisher, Subban, Forsberg (arguably Arvidsson too), Josi, Ellis, Rinne 

For me the big thing is that Norris-calibre defenceman and top-2 centers and goalie. For me, the Ducks are missing a few bits:

Ducks - Getzlaf, Kesler, ???, Lindholm, Perry, Vaatanen, ???

Gibson isn't good enough quite frankly, he hasn't been as hot as he needs to be, and Vaatanen, Fowler, Lindholm or Theodore are nowhere near Norris-trophy worthy. It could be argued that the Penguins defence isn't as good either without Letang but they've been quite bad this playoffs so far despite all the winning, and far from their best. I don't see them winning without a top defenceman this year. Karlsson could really be a difference maker in that series.

For me, the Predators have the perfect 7 core and should go all the way.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The Preds should have been a Cup contending team 2-3 years ago with their defence with Weber, but now it looks like Ellis, Josi and obviously Subban are playing well in the playoffs too, not just the regular season. You put 3-4 40-50+ point defencemen on your blueline and you'll have success. Now they've got the firepower up front too and even that started thanks to a nice drafting of Jones.

I've got a feeling JB is taking notes and going to try and replicate the Predators by drafting a lot of defencemen in the next year or two and using them to acquire forwards. May not be the right way to go about it, but it's worked for Nashville. They've got all the pieces for the puzzle, whereas the Ducks still arguably lack a true elite top defenceman and there's no way Gibson wins this goalie duel.

[...]

Nashville seems to have made only one notable trade where they moved a D to get a F - Jones for Johansen.   Who else do you have?

Looks more like they are showing that drafting for needs is not the way to go - Jones was BPA and they were able to trade him for the C1 they have been looking for ever since they became a franchise.  

The Oilers tired the Ducks out just enough to give the Preds the edge here. Under normal circumstances Aneheim would win this series IMO. The Preds have jelled at the right time but they are still a Cinderella wild card team. Would love to see a Nashville/Ottawa final, but they're both underdogs.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to WCF: (P1) Anaheim Ducks vs. (WC2) Nashville Predators | Predators lead series 1-0

Subban with the sweet dish to Neal to take Game 1. Nice fake by PK. Didn't catch the game but it looked like it was a tight battle. Hopefully Preds continue to take it to the Ducks! They've been the best 8th seed in a while since the Kings 2012 team like what @-Vintage Canuck- had mentioned but this D core is much more filthier and filled with offensive skill and defensive awareness with Subban, Josi, Ellis and you can add Ekholm to that list as well who's been a great playmaker for the Preds and their 1st line is top notch along with some nice depth pieces. Expecting a good fight back by the Ducks but Preds are looking unstoppable

Archived