The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres name Jason Botterill general manager

Jason Botterill is the new general manager of the Buffalo Sabres.

The longtime executive joins the Sabres after 10 seasons in various roles with the Pittsburgh Penguins, helping the club win the Stanley Cup in 2009 and 2016.

He's the eighth GM in Sabres history, succeeding Tim Murray, who was fired along with head coach Dan Bylsma last month. Botterill, 40, becomes the NHL's second-youngest GM behind 27-year-old John Chayka of the Arizona Coyotes.

He most recently served as the Penguins' associate GM, which involved scouting, player development, contract negotiations, and salary cap management. He also occupied the GM role with Pittsburgh's AHL affiliate, guiding Wilkes-Barre/Scranton since 2009-10.

“Jason’s hockey knowledge, experience drafting and developing players, and his approach to management stood out to us during our interview process," Sabres owner Terry Pegula said in the announcement.

"Jason has built a solid reputation as a leader that connects strongly with players and staff around him. We are confident he will have a positive impact within our organization and will help us get to our ultimate goal.”

Botterill finished his playing career with the Sabres organization in 2004-05, appearing in 36 NHL games over two seasons from 2002 to 2004 and notching 37 goals with the AHL's Rochester Americans in 2002-03.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1298885

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't he an assistant GM of the Penguins? Is he allowed to be named as GM of another team before the Pens are finished? 

I hope so, if the Pens make it to the Cup Final again, it usually ends around June 15th, that would give Botteril <10 days to prepare for the draft with Buffalo.

Not like an A-GM have any effect on the Penguins' play on the ice right now.

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't he an assistant GM of the Penguins? Is he allowed to be named as GM of another team before the Pens are finished? 

The decision to hire Botterill was made several days ago.  Since it's a step up from his current position, the Penguins couldn't do anything about it.  They asked the Sabres to keep it quiet until their series with Washington was over so it wouldn't be a distraction.  The Sabres agreed.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

what do you think of the hire tho.... 

They went with a smart young guy (has a Masters Degree) who knows the game and was part of the reason why the Penguins are successful.  I think if he can get along with everybody then he has a chance to succeed. 

My biggest worry is that Pegula may decide to hire a president of hockey operations and a power struggle ensues.  I doubt that would happen though since the Pegulas learned their lesson with LaFontaine.

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That makes you a fangirl of the Canucks then?

HI5 is trying to become your archrival. I say you roll with it, your CDC cred should see a nice boost.

All the cool kids have rivals.

Archived