The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal from 1040) Was- Van

I heard this idea on TSN 1040 Bro Jake show this morning and this is just one of those fun proposals! I know many would be against it but curious if you would support it. It would never likely happen especially what WAS would want in return, but to get rid of a couple of our contracts would you trade:

To Was - Brandon Sutter (4 years remain, 4.375 mill cap hit)

Loui Erikkson (5 years remain, 6 mill cap hit)

To Van - Alexander Ovechkin ( 4 years remain, 9.538 mill cap hit)

I think their idea was comparing the salaries of the 2 VAN players and taking on WAS Ovechkins. Now if I am WAS clearly this deal is never happening. Ovie is still a superstar player and would demand huge assets in return. That would be fun to see him with the twins though!!!

Discuss!!!!

I'd do it yeah. Salary and term are comparable but as you said, Washington would never. Plus, Sutter and Ericsson would have to waive their clauses and Ovechkin has to not have Vancouver on his no trade list.

I hope 1040 didn't take it that seriously. If the morning show believes this is feasible, then that's all the more reason TSN lost the canucks broadcast rights

Yeah not surprised that idiot(Bro Jake) would suggest something like this.  Why stop there? 

Sedins for Malkin + Crosby

Bachman + 7th for Carey Price( $8.30 retained)

Offer Sheet McJesus in the mourning and then Offer Sheet Draistl in the afternoon

Megna + Chaput + Biega + 6th + 5th + 4th + 3rd + 2nd for Stamkos + Kucherov + Hedman + 35 days of sunshine

Our Pepsi vendors for Coke vendors

Change Jersey colors

#Boomheadshotdynamitebbqsauce

12 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd do it yeah. Salary and term are comparable but as you said, Washington would never. Plus, Sutter and Ericsson would have to waive their clauses and Ovechkin has to not have Vancouver on his no trade list.

I hope 1040 didn't take it that seriously. If the morning show believes this is feasible, then that's all the more reason TSN lost the canucks broadcast rights

No it was totally not a serious proposal. 

But I am drooling at the thought of the Great 8 with the twins. 

32 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

I heard the guys talking about this trade in the morning too.  Ya, they were just having fun with the idea, but didn't take it too seriously.  We don't need OV anyway in our rebuild.

9 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

I see no chemistry, what-so-ever, with the twins. Two totally different styles. 

Ovi, Horvat and Boeser, however...

I do see him as a great fit in the west. He plays the fast, edgy style that's coveted in the west, but I can't see any scenario where we snag him. He's 31 yrs old and would seems to be in decline. Maybe a reboot could bring him back to his former glory, but if I'm GM, I'm not paying for maybe's and a limited time fix. As a matter of fact, if I were interested in Ovi, it would be the Sedins I would be asking to waive NMC as the option going the other way and, maybe, one of our 2nd rounders this year, only because we have 2. In no way, shape, or form, do I give up high picks for him. 

But, as I said, I don't see a scenario that makes sence to either side. We're rebuilding and should have no interest in trading picks. They are going to want a huge package, involving picks, prospects and roster players. In short, a huge mess, I wouldn't want to get involved in. 

Would it be cool to see Ovi in a Vancouver uni? Absolutely. But I see teams like LA, San Jose, Colorado and, perhaps, Arizona having bigger interest in him.

I sure hope that wasn't indeed serious - there is zero chance Washington would ever accept that.  

In fact, why would you even suggest someone here might be against that?  That would be a lopsided deal on an epic level, and anybody who didn't support such a trade would quite simply be out to lunch.  These playoffs notwithstanding for injury reasons, Ovechkin would be an absolute difference maker to any team.

I'd do this in a heart beat... but why would the caps want two of the most over paid guys in the NHL? At least based on this years production. 

I'd even add to your package to get the deal done. 

Archived