The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Don't "Panik" there's reason for optimism

So Richard Panik earned himself a decent contract extension today for a 22 goal performance last season. And this should give Canucks fans some actual sense of hope that you can get very solid players into the system. Of course he's supporting cast, but with a bit of luck we can land a future 1C at the draft and populate the lines around him with Panik-type players. 

Look at his stats:

26 years old 

52nd overall pick

highest point total before last season was 17pts

2016/17 season 22 goals 22 assists

Compared with:

Baer - 24 years old, 18 goals

Granlund - 23 years old 19 goals

and then the future potential of Jake, Boeser, Goldy and Dahlen. 

I'll probably get dumped on by the haters, but I think its good to point out we do have guys with similar and more potential. We actually don't have to go looking for much more of this level of player. 

So what you say? Well this should factor into deals for actual 1C potential players, so e.g., if NJ is actually willing to part with 1OA we should go all in with Tanev + + + because given the amount of potential supporting cast players we do have, now's the time to go all in with NJ on that top pick if at all possible. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So Richard Panik earned himself a decent contract extension today for a 22 goal performance last season. And this should give Canucks fans some actual sense of hope that you can get very solid players into the system. Of course he's supporting cast, but with a bit of luck we can land a future 1C at the draft and populate the lines around him with Panik-type players. 

Look at his stats:

26 years old 

52nd overall pick

Compared with:

I'll probably get dumped on by the haters, but I think its good to point out we do have guys with similar and more potential. We actually don't have to go looking for much more of this level of player. 

So what you say? Well this should factor into deals for actual 1C potential players, so e.g., if NJ is actually willing to part with 1OA we should go all in with Tanev + + + because given the amount of potential supporting cast players we do have, now's the time to go all in with NJ on that top pick if at all possible. 

IMG_7039.JPG

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

You don't think Hischier is a good fit?

No where worth the price you're offering for him. That's something I would do for a McDavid or a Matthews, but not Hischier. 

Just now, Pears said:

No where worth the price you're offering for him. That's something I would do for a McDavid or a Matthews, but not Hischier. 

really? say Tanev, torts 2nd, SJS 4th and Subban? I'd do that, you don't get these chances often. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

I thought getting a C1 was one of NJDs biggest need because they don't have one for now.  

Shero said that he expects Hall to mentor their 1st overall.

it sounds like from the media blab is NJs pick is in play

the other way we could go is to take back one of DAL crappy goaltenders + one of our prospects and the SJS 4th for the 3OA and get Vilardi or Mittlestadt. 

17 minutes ago, mll said:

I thought getting a C1 was one of NJDs biggest need because they don't have one for now.  

Shero said that he expects Hall to mentor their 1st overall.

Hard to say if they'll be 1Cs but Zacha and McLeod down the middle is pretty good.

1 minute ago, theminister said:

Hard to say if they'll be 1Cs but Zacha and McLeod down the middle is pretty good.

If they see Patrick as too risky and Hischier's development as a little longer than they'd like, then Hall + these guys could be what they're looking at. Or trading 1OA to Colorado for Duchene but then they have to really believe Patrick and Hischier will be better than Duchene and thats not easy to predict. 

Hmm, just thought of "what if we were in NJ's spot? What would we do?"

No way NJ gives up their 1st overall. If I was a Devils fan and the GM traded away the 1st overall for a D-man and a lower pick I'd be pissed. Not going to happen unless a GM really overpays for that #1.

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

to VAN: 1st overall

to NJ: Tanev and 5th overall

Why not? NJ would have a very good RHD and probably be able to draft Vilardi or Mittelstadt

No thanks, not worth it. Glass & Mittlestadt could be as good as nolan patrick in a few years. You are giving tanev away for free! 

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why not? NJ would have a very good RHD and probably be able to draft Vilardi or Mittelstadt

I was thinking we could pull it off with Tanev, our 33rd and a prospect or Baer and keep our 5th too 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Look at his stats:

26 years old 

52nd overall pick

Compared with:

So if Jersey is willing to trade

You should trade Tanev +++ meaning our 5th plus another pick/prospect/player just to move up 4 spots to draft a guy who might not be the best player in the draft by all accounts.

That's great.  because this team has the depth to do that and all.

Tanev + 5th OA ++ whatever else vs

5th OA

Tanevs stand alone trade value (1st + prospect)

and keeping the ++

I'll stay where we are and offer Dallas our 2nds for their 3rd OA and both their terrible goalie contracts thanks.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would you do that trade:

Tanev + Juolevi for Puljujarvi ( similar value like Nolan Patrick , doesn't have elite skills like mcdavid or matthews)

For me It seems like the same as we would trade 1st overall for Tanev & 5th overall

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

You should trade Tanev +++ meaning our 5th plus another pick/prospect/player just to move up 4 spots to draft a guy who might not be the best player in the draft by all accounts.

5th OA

and keeping the ++

I'll stay where we are and offer Dallas our 2nds for their 3rd OA and both their terrible goalie contracts thanks.

should have been clearer - by + + + i meant more like our 33rd + prospect + prospect or a F like Baer and we'd keep our 5th, so we'd be picking 1st and 5th 

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

5th OA

and keeping the ++

I like the idea of taking on Lehtonen or Niemi considering we need a back up next year, but idk if that's enough and I don't want to move our 2nds this year. What about our 63rd overall and something else for one of their goalies and their first from Anaheim?

Archived