The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Yakupov?

9 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I'd take Yak. Low risk, high reward scenario. Didn't he say when he was about to be drafted that he wanted to go to Vancouver? 

Wow the 2012 draft was really underwhelming. Yakupov is 4th in points for players selected in 2012. Only 2 players from that draft have more points then McDavid (Galchenyuk and Forsberg) and Galchenyuk's played 200 more games. 

It has been stated Bure was his favorite player. Maybe getting him to where the Russian Rocket was great might inspire him. 1-1.5 for 1 yr with bonuses based on goals reached.

The canucks should take a flyer on as many boom or bust guys like yak as possible. If he can even get to be top 6 or mid 6 offensive forward it's a win. And all it would cost is$? Sign me up. I see a couple of people say he has Russia bound all over him. Who cares it would be a one year deal at worst. 

On 5/12/2017 at 4:34 AM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I'd take Yak. Low risk, high reward scenario. Didn't he say when he was about to be drafted that he wanted to go to Vancouver? 

Wow the 2012 draft was really underwhelming. Yakupov is 4th in points for players selected in 2012. Only 2 players from that draft have more points then McDavid (Galchenyuk and Forsberg) and Galchenyuk's played 200 more games. 

Third round, 78th overall was Shayne Gostisbehere.   Can argue that he may be the best player to emerge out of that draft.   Canucks took Gaunce in first round - would you rather have Gaunce or GhostBear?

Is Yakupov "likely" to discover his scoring touch and attain even a portion of his original potential?.... no.

Do we have better options at our fingertips?  ..... no.

Is he going to cost us anything significant?  .... no

Some people posting here are not answering all the questions together which is the big picture.  If he wants to come here because he thinks he has a better chance on one of the worst teams in the league, you absolutely say yes.  He costs you nothing as you sign him for a $1 million 1 year deal and waive him if he doesn't outperform his competition.  At worst you push your other players fighting for a roster spot.  At best he finds some chemistry on a speedy line with Goldobin on the other wing.

It would definitely be an interesting experiment to have the Sedins split up (this should really happen this year for a reasonable stretch of games), and put Hank between a couple of speedster young wingers.  His experience helps them, and their legs help overcome some of his liabilities.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sutter-Eriksson

Goldobin-Sedin-Yakupov

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

Boucher-Virtanen

Worth a try.... not all of our newer young guys (Boucher, Cramarossa, Goldobin, Dahlen) are going to pan out, so having a couple extra seems a worthwhile risk especially since we have zero depth in case of any injuries.

Having said all that, my money is still on Vegas for Yakupov.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:34 AM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

say hello to the draft of 2017.  history repeats itself

always liked yakupov and thought it would be fun to see him in a canuck uniform.

I think Vegas will get him though. Signed a top russian from the khl rumoured in on another. Surely Mcphee takes a flyer on a former #1 overall in Yakupov.

Yakupov and Goldobin on a line would be sweet. Even Yak with the twins could work

Archived