The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Karl Alzner

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Tre Mac said:

No UFA's for the love of #$%^ plz!

Hi Treasure Mac

I am asking you this because of your stance on UFA'S

I don't  object to it...but I think your the guy to ask...

Here it goes....

An over payment for 2 years at $6.5 million per

Rationale.........

Alzner  is a top 4 defenceman that will be in strong demand in his second year of his contract at the TDL

This could bring us a great return for a little overpayment........

Let's look at this as an overpayment of 3 million over the contract if you think it is worth somewhere near an actual value of 5 million per season

Which he gets paid because of the short term with no NMC and the mobility of it

Compare it to taking on a cash dump like Callahan of 5.8 million x 3 = 17.4 million and no real use for him or most

To me Alzner is an easy risk, as his value is there and is only short term, while our prospects age and gain experience 

Alzner at the 2019 TDL has a remaining value which we move for a good pick or prospect for somewhere between

Just south of between 2.2 million to 1.1 million 50% retained to a wanting club.....

I see that as a win - win for us, as it allows us to move Tanev and protect the kids, while gaining a future return

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Treasure Mac

I am asking you this because of your stance on UFA'S

I don't  object to it...but I think your the guy to ask...

Here it goes....

An over payment for 2 years at $6.5 million per

Rationale.........

Alzner  is a top 4 defenceman that will be in strong demand in his second year of his contract at the TDL

This could bring us a great return for a little overpayment........

Let's look at this as an overpayment of 3 million over the contract if you think it is worth somewhere near an actual value of 5 million per season

Which he gets paid because of the short term with no NMC and the mobility of it

Compare it to taking on a cash dump like Callahan of 5.8 million x 3 = 17.4 million and no real use for him or most

To me Alzner is an easy risk, as his value is there and is only short term, while our prospects age and gain experience 

Alzner at the 2019 TDL has a remaining value which we move for a good pick or prospect for somewhere between

Just south of between 2.2 million to 1.1 million 50% retained to a wanting club.....

I see that as a win - win for us, as it allows us to move Tanev and protect the kids, while gaining a future return

Valid points (and clever on your part).  I could see Alzner wanting a limited NTC so that he can be traded to an appropriate contender.  The big question is whether he would be willing to come to our basement team or choose to take a little less $ and a longer term to join a contender.

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Valid points (and clever on your part).  I could see Alzner wanting a limited NTC so that he can be traded to an appropriate contender.  The big question is whether he would be willing to come to our basement team or choose to take a little less $ and a longer term to join a contender.

That is the question really.....that is why I really reached on the salary......I wonder if JB would entertain that type of deal. I wonder if Alzner would entertain that type of Deal?  Lol

On 5/14/2017 at 9:19 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Oh I don't disagree with that but hometown ties can also be factors. If he wanted to be home with a hometown discount at about 4 years at say 5M with no NTC or NMC it would be worth it to sign him short term. Trade Tanev, Edler or Sbisa. Or two of.

Alzner-Stetcher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tanev

Pedan

Hey, it would be nice I don't think a discount is in order just having him would be good enough

Archived