The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friedman thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle

homersexual

Eberle had a bad season (by his standards) and a less than stellar playoffs but is still one of the top scoring wingers in the NHL over the last 5 seasons and is only 26 years old. The Oil may not be happy with Jordan right now but if he is moved they are going to expect to get paid, and as well they should. He probably just needs a fresh start somewhere and he'd be a good add for a competitive team looking for a final piece, kind of like the Kessel trade worked out for Pittsburgh. It would make little sense for a rebuilding team like Vancouver who already has one of the smallest lineups in the western conference to add a player like Eberle. 

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Rumouring 101: Tack Vancouver onto the list of possible destinations and watch your story grow legs.

Friedman knows how to play the game.

It reminds me of when Brower was suggesting on 1040 that he was considering Vancouver, when at the time he was already building a house in Calgary.

We're a favourite to use in the media for other people's deals. 

NO, NO, and more NO . . .   3 more years at 6 million a year.   HE IS NOT WORTH HALF THAT - not one goal in the PLAYOFFS and lots of chances.   What do you plan on paying Bo if this guy gets his contract.   UGH,   YUK . . .  Unless Nugent Hopkins comes with him then forget it.

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Honestly I just don't think anyone in this mgmt group is going to do that, as much as they should. But just for fun lets say they do I'd like to see:

Loui-Bo-Boeser

Jake-RNH-Granny

Sedin-Sedin-Goldy/Rodin

Jake has apparently played better on LW in Utica, and Nugget needs a big body like Jake on that line to make space for him and Granny to work magic. 

I know, i keep trying to trade Baer. I'm assuming he is part of a package with Tanev. 

I'd keep Jake in Utica one more year, maybe even keep Brock and Dahlen there this year and have a competitive team.  Draft Vilardi

Sven-Bo-Goldy

Loui-RNH-Rodin

Sedin-Sedin-Grany

Then in 2018, draft Dahlin, the sedin retire and opens up some more roster spots....Move rodin and possibly Granlund/Sven for picks at the deadline

Sven-Bo-Goldy

Dahlen-RNH-Boeser

Virtanen Vilardi-Loui

Juolevi Dahlin

Hutton Guddy/Stech

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd keep Jake in Utica one more year, maybe even keep Brock and Dahlen there this year and have a competitive team.  Draft Vilardi

Sven-Bo-Goldy

Loui-RNH-Rodin

Sedin-Sedin-Grany

Then in 2018, draft Dahlin, the sedin retire and opens up some more roster spots....Move rodin and possibly Granlund/Sven for picks at the deadline

Sven-Bo-Goldy

Dahlen-RNH-Boeser

Virtanen Vilardi-Loui

you gotta get Jake into that top 6 tho otherwise its too soft.... flip sven and jake and we have a deal :P

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

giphy.gif

That or  just Eriksson straight up ;)

I dunno.... I think Loui and Draisaitl could be a scary line for a few years. It could be like the old Dallas days with Richards and Loui. 

Title is misleading.

Where does Friedman say he thinks Vancouver is "interested."

He's speculates that Vancouver could be a landing spot.  Ie we have the cap space opening and he guesses that the Canucks might be willing to take Eberle's contract.  Most of these eastern talking heads aren't very acquainted with the team however - the roster, what we're actually looking to add, etc.  Small, expensive, not particularly fleet or gritty wingers aren't high on the list.

So what would the incentive be?   Is Edmonton prepared to pay to dump Eberle or are they under the illusion they're going to get some kind of return on the one year remaining on a player that the entire city has scapegoated for their playoff loss?

Proposals better not include a key roster piece going back - or lacking an asset that is incentive enough to free them from that contract next year.

U

2 hours ago, homersexual said:

Eriksson, listed as left winger

Granlund, listed as centre

Sure, lets throw Beiga as a right winger too if you really want to say 'they can play on the right side' since he played a few games as a forward.

Dorsett?? Eberle is a huge improvement over him.

Edit: How in the world could anyone forget about MEGNA!

That list is guys who can and have all played quite a bit of RW for us... I don't care what they're 'listed' as. It's not even remotely a stretch. Eberle would actually be a downgrade as a 4th line grinder role but yes, he's clearly a better top 6 forward (where we're pretty full on wings).

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Eriksson is the only winger close to eberles skill as a proven nhler and we have yet to see any value there anyway.

Granlund not with the twins is a tweener top six player 

I wouldn't trade them Boeser for Eberle. Probably not even Granlund. 'Tweener top 6'...So is Eberle.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

^^ why would we pick up a 6 mil cast off when we have this on the right side? EF must have been having a low blood sugar moment. 

The only thing that would remotely make sense (for us) would be to swap Eriksson for Eberle. We get younger and a shorter term (2 years left). They get a better 2 way player and Eriksson goes to a contender.

That doesn't help EDM with cap at all though, so it's HIGHLY unlikely.

RNH would make far more sense as a C, where we do actually need some depth (and 2 years younger), especially if we draft a D this year. Not sure I'd be willing to give up much to get him though.

44 minutes ago, combover said:

Eberle is currently better than everyone on that list. I not saying get him unless it's a total fleecing but depth is easy NHL top 6 skill is not. 

Highly debatable. Wouldn't trade Boeser or Granlund for Eberle right now considering their contracts.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Title is misleading.

Where does Friedman say he thinks Vancouver is "interested."

He's speculates that Vancouver could be a landing spot.  Ie we have the cap space opening and he guesses that the Canucks might be willing to take Eberle's contract.  Most of these eastern talking heads aren't very acquainted with the team however - the roster, what we're actually looking to add, etc.  Small, expensive, not particularly fleet or gritty wingers aren't high on the list.

So what would the incentive be?   Is Edmonton prepared to pay to dump Eberle or are they under the illusion they're going to get some kind of return on the one year remaining on a player that the entire city has scapegoated for their playoff loss?

Proposals better not include a key roster piece going back - or lacking an asset that is incentive enough to free them from that contract next year.

U

its 2 more seasons at 6 mil. Even more reason for us not to do it. 

47 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not the role for us, edmonton is currently using RNH in that role, Sutter is better suited for the role in Edmonton.  If RNH came here he'd immediately be top 6r bumping the twins down to #3 line.  Gaunce would become our top shutdown center or we'd have to look for a 4th line dzone player like beagle. 

Either way next year isn't really about winning so it wouldn't be a huge rush to find that player Gaudette is looking like he might become a perfect #3 C.  

Baertschi Horvat Goldy/Rodin

Eriksson RNH Boeser

Sedin sedin Granlund

It would be a very similar set up to the caps top 6.  backstrom/horvat is the #1 C on the PK and PP.  Although preferably I think we need more size and strength in the top 6, that's where the need for a player like Vilardi comes in.  I'm tired of watching perimeter hockey when games get tight. 

Problem is, with that soft of a top 9, we'd need a 'Sutter' to take on hard match ups, dzone starts etc...and you just traded him. Non-starter IMO.

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Boeser for Eberle is insane.

Beyond insane. Sometimes this place really makes me wonder about people....:blink:

Am I the only one who thinks picking up Eberle might be a good idea?

He is a skilled offensive player who is still young, and whose value is at an all-time low. His skill-set (playmaking winger) fits well on paper with Horvat and/or Sutter. He has no form of NTC. So, provided the price is cheap enough (and I mean CHEAP - like Gaunce straight-up), why not give him a fresh start?

If it works out, we may be able to flip him for a valuable asset in a year. If not, his contract isn't much of a concern, as we are not going to compete in that time.

I'm not a fan of Evander Kane, but I'd rather get him than Eberle.  Unfortunately Eberle spent to much time with the terrible version of the Oil and a lot of that terrible seems to have been absorbed into how he plays.

16 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

its 2 more seasons at 6 mil. Even more reason for us not to do it. 

Oh yes, that's correct - NHL#s has shifted the columns to next year.

Well, that simply escalates the price to move him significantly.

Best of luck with that Edmonton.

Archived