The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friedman thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle

homersexual

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I sued to like him alot. His stock has fallen after Edmontons rebuild rebuild. I wouldn't mind him but he'd have to come cheap.

2nd and gaunce. 

Don't you mean after Edmontons rebuild rebuild rebuild rebuild? :lol:

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Canucks are down (or up) by a goal -- pretty sure RNH won't be taking that draw. 

Horvat will, he's a pure all around center that can be counted on in all zones. 

Offensively It would be nice to have RNH on the ice in those offensive situations, that way we have to centers to take the draw incase one gets kicked out.  Offensively I would count on RNH more than sutter...

Again this is just for one year until if the twin move on, hopefully we can groom gaunce and or gaudette fill that hole in the future.   . 

Gaunce for sure can and should be groomed to complement and perhaps even eventually replace Sutter.  But for now we very much need him.

Why, unless we are trying to make a playoff run, someone like Mitchell could suffice in the mean time while Malhotra grooms gaunce in that role.

We could walk out of the draft with our playmaking center (RNH) and our PP QB in liijegren.. 

Edmonton would love a deal for Sutter if they give up an RNH or Eberle, even if they retained salary.

McDavid

Draisaitl

Sutter

Yeah and sutter would probably love it too, being he's from that area and his entire family lives within an hour from edmonton.  RNH might like coming home too. 

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, except you missed the part where I said that makes zero sense from EDM's perspective cap-wise. They're already going to be in cap hell in a few years scrambling to retain all their high end talent without saddling themselves to an additional 3 years of a $6m contract.

Agree to disagree. Pretty sure management wouldn't even consider it. Sutter is there precisely to help shelter all the kids we have coming. His cap is largely irrelevant.

Debateable whether it (le) made sense for us too.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Horvat will, he's a pure all around center that can be counted on in all zones. 

Offensively It would be nice to have RNH on the ice in those offensive situations, that way we have to centers to take the draw incase one gets kicked out.  Offensively I would count on RNH more than sutter...

Again this is just for one year until if the twin move on, hopefully we can groom gaunce and or gaudette fill that hole in the future.   . 

Why, unless we are trying to make a playoff run, someone like Mitchell could suffice in the mean time while Malhotra grooms gaunce in that role.

We could walk out of the draft with our playmaking center (RNH) and our PP QB in liijegren.. 

Yeah and sutter would probably love it too, being he's from that area and his entire family lives within an hour from edmonton.  RNH might like coming home too. 

It's a simple one for one: RNH for Sutter.  Why in the world would we want Eberle?

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Debateable whether it (le) made sense for us too.

Yup. As ON and I both covered/agreed on we'd get smaller, slower and easier to play against (albeit younger and 3 years less term). 

It's a non starter IMO. We haven't got roster room or need, no big desire to take on that cap (not without some serious sweetener) and not much we could trade back that fits.

Well if the thought process is Tanev for Eberle like I heard a couple of pundits suggest, that is crazy talk.

Eberle is a bad contract for two years, walks as a UFA after then, and is too old to have future upside.  

He is only an incremental improvement on Baertschi and Granlund's production, and they are still young to enough to be getting better as well as being on cheap contracts with years of club control as RFAs ahead.

I honestly would even prefer RNH, even though his contract is as bad and lasts longer.  He has more years of club control, is younger, and is a centre which we need more.  He is a local boy on top of it so may be interested in staying here after this contract.

I said this after McDavid turned out to be the real deal immediately.  The Oilers have a very short window to succeed now.  How much will it take to sign Draisaitl this summer?  Even with a little discount for getting to stay on an up and coming team it has to be around the $5 million mark one would think.  McDavid has to be $8 million plus the summer after that.  Even keeping the spare pieces like Kassian who have worked out really well for them is going to take a bump in salary.  There is cap trouble looming in the near future for them unless they can dump these other pieces.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yup. As ON and I both covered/agreed on we'd get smaller, slower and easier to play against (albeit younger and 3 years less term). 

It's a non starter IMO. We haven't got roster room or need, no big desire to take on that cap (not without some serious sweetener) and not much we could trade back that fits.

Frankly I'm surprised at eberles drop.  Always showed flashes of great skill and fwiw seems like a good guy.  Perhaps he can bounce back but optically his playoff performance won't make the oilers group very hospitable in their quest for more "magical runs".

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's a simple one for one: RNH for Sutter.  Why in the world would we want Eberle?

And why do we want Hopkins again?

Because we want to pay an extra million + half for 8 more assists?

Keep in mind - those 8 extra assists came with 12 million worth of wingers on an 18 million 3rd line that by all rights - for that price - should have utterly dominated matchups.  Instead it was a 3rd line with no 3rd liners.

Sutter on the other hand also didn't have over 50% ozone starts like Nugent-Hopkins did - and is the more versatile player that can be your top penalty killer and a right handed shot on one of your powerplay units.

Just don't see how this makes sense when you factor in that Horvat also thereby becomes in effect a 3C - back to the hard minutes for him.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Keep in mind - those 8 extra assists came with 12 million worth of wingers on an 18 million 3rd line that by all rights - for that price - should have utterly dominated matchups.  Instead it was a 3rd line with no 3rd liners.

Sutter on the other hand also didn't have over 50% ozone starts like Nugent-Hopkins did - and is the more versatile player that can be your top penalty killer and a right handed shot on one of your powerplay units.

Just don't see how this makes sense when you factor in that Horvat also thereby becomes in effect a 3C - back to the hard minutes for him.

Not for Sutter (I agree, that's mind numbingly stupid) butI'd ponder RNH for Baer (though, not sure they need another middle 6 W, he'd at least save them cap and could move up and down the lines).

RNH would help us shelter any C we might draft for the next few years and keep us from 'rushing him' in to the lineup.

Eriksson, Horvat, Boeser

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin, RNH, Goldobin (sheltered ozone line)

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett (matchup dzone line)

When I think of Eberle and the Canucks I think of this little gem and how Albertans like to portray Canucks fans. To be fair, ATB didn't take the easy route of playing up the Oilers/Flames rivalry because they are courting fans in both markets, so they made a similar commercial of Giordano vs. the green men- and then they wonder why Canuck fans don't cheer for them in the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I was hoping RNH could turn into a Henrik?  He's only 23.  You don't think he could develop more, as he get older, like Henrik did?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I was hoping RNH could turn into a Henrik?  He's only 23.  You don't think he could develop more, as he get older, like Henrik did?

I imagine RNH might have more upside than appears in his current 3C role.

However on the other hand, perhaps they should have been more effective in behind McJ and Draisaitl - so why weren't they?

I think I'd prefer to go another route.

He's slight, he's not a particularly strong guy or strong faceoff guy - and he doesn't appear to have much game-breaking potential.

At 6 million for three years to UFA, how does he really fit here?

44 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

By that same token, why the need or rush to trade Sutter, let alone any benefit?  Just because a team is rebuilding doesn't mean you gut it of all assets, including those that provide positive value to the team.  Sutter brings a valuable skillset that right now nobody else does, including the ability to shelter young guys breaking in -- for that reason alone we aren't moving him.  That's clearly been the plan, just look at his contract and when it ends.  Once we are back as a competitive team in a few years, he may/will become expendable but not now while in transition.  That would only put a sabot in the gears.

Archived