The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars re-sign Ben Bishop

This is about what I thought he would get. A steal if he gets back to his almost Vezina form. I can say that everyone here in DFW are stoked about this acquisition and think he is the missing piece. Personally they need another solid dman ala Tanev before I start believing in them. Hammer had an off year too so maybe he can get his game back. 

If they can rid themselves of either, or both, of Lehtonen/Niemi, that is a big step towards Dallas making it back to the playoffs. Good job there.

My guess is about $4.7 million is

Or a total of $15 million tied in to 3 goalies.

Come on vancouver and Benning.  Eat both old goalies and their $10 million for that 3rd overall pick and throw them a bone already!!!

15 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

This is about what I thought he would get. A steal if he gets back to his almost Vezina form. I can say that everyone here in DFW are stoked about this acquisition and think he is the missing piece. Personally they need another solid dman ala Tanev before I start believing in them. Hammer had an off year too so maybe he can get his game back. 

Personally I think what they see is what they get with Hammer at this point in his career. He looked like he was starting to slip in his last few seasons here - I'd say it's natural regression more than an off year.

I think you're right though, Dallas still needs something to bolster the backend of their team. Bishop is a lot better than what they've had but the defense is spotty enough that it might not matter.

Tanev for Niemi and 3rd OA?

Draft Glass/Vilardi and Makar/Liljegren? 

Or NP or Hischier if they don't go 1 & 2 like expected.

Or work out a deal like 3rd OA + 2nd for 1st or 2nd OA and draft Hischier & Makar.. my favourite forward and Dman in the draft :)

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My guess is about $4.7 million is

Or a total of $15 million tied in to 3 goalies.

Come on vancouver and Benning.  Eat both old goalies and their $10 million for that 3rd overall pick and throw them a bone already!!!

Niemi's buy out is only 1.5 mil for the next 2 years Kari's is 2.6 and 1.7 mil for the next 2 years. If they did want to give us the 3OA for both these guys then by all means. make that deal Jimbo and buy out Niemi. 

4 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Tanev+2nd for their 3rd OA?

Draft Glass/Vilardi and Makar/Liljegren? 

They just signed a THIRD goalie.  They now have 2 goalies other than Bishop with insane contracts.  Why would we trade Tanev to them when we can just let Miller go and take one of their insane contracts?  We could get a pick in exchange for taking Lehtonen for example. Trade Tanev to a different team.

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

They just signed a THIRD goalie.  They now have 2 goalies other than Bishop with insane contracts.  Why would we trade Tanev to them when we can just let Miller go and take one of their insane contracts?  We could get a pick in exchange for taking Lehtonen for example.

I meant to do that but for some reason forgot as I was typing haha and just threw out a fair proposal for their pick. I edited but not be for you quoted me lol

10 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Personally I think what they see is what they get with Hammer at this point in his career. He looked like he was starting to slip in his last few seasons here - I'd say it's natural regression more than an off year.

I think you're right though, Dallas still needs something to bolster the backend of their team. Bishop is a lot better than what they've had but the defense is spotty enough that it might not matter.

Sadly I agree about Hammer too. He might just need to get paired with someone who can protect him and his gaffs a little more than Klingberg was able to. 

I would not be surprised to see them go after Alzner since they are shedding Sharp, Hemsky and one or both goalies contracts. The Bish deal gives them a little more flexibility to sign someone too. I swear Nill has the Hockey Gods on his side between obtaining Bish at a discount and getting another 1st rounder from the Ducks. Teams love to trade with him which speaks to his rep in the league I guess. Just sucks that our owners cannot stand one another so I doubt we will do anything together. 

47 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Wow. So now they REALLY need to drop one of Lehtonen or Niemi. Time for the Canucks to pounce by getting a good young prospect and the cap dump in exchange for a 3rd round pick

Niemi is signed to 1 more year at 4.5M$  Worst case scenario Dallas would be better to buyout Niemi at 2/3 (3M) and have that cap spread over two years at 1.5M, which isnt that bad.

So I doubt they trade a good young prospect for dumping his cap.

Plus I'm pretty sure a team like Calgary or Vegas could take a shot a Niemi for 1 year without giving any valuable assets.

Archived