The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars re-sign Ben Bishop

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The question shouldn't be about buyouts it's what is the value of taking on Niemi.

If we aren't adding a tanev to the deal, Canuck aren't the only team looking for a vet back up.....That is what will water down the value, even if niemi is a 4 mill cap hit. Considering both goalies only have one year left, If stars are offering their (ana) 1st, other teams (CGY, phi, STL, NYI, NJ, TB, PIT, VAN, BUF) would likely want to jump all over that as well.  

Canucks should try to act fast and get something done. 

How many teams are looking for $4.5m and $6m backups though? I'd wager not many.

Also, goalies are relatively plentiful (UFA, trade, Europe etc). I'd say on their own their ANA late 1st or DAL two 2nd's would be +/- pretty close. 

5 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I would do that deal in a heartbeat...i wonder if dallas would consider it. They will still have a late 1st. Would you make the trade if its tanev and our 2nd rounder for thr 3rd?? I would.

Absolutely, but I bet we would have to take one of their nasty goalie contracts.  Even then, it's gotta be done.  Then JB could get Middlestadt at 3, and the best D left at 5!  Wow!  How exciting would that draft become for us?

57 minutes ago, J.R. said:

How many teams are looking for $4.5m and $6m backups though? I'd wager not many.

Also, goalies are relatively plentiful (UFA, trade, Europe etc). I'd say on their own their ANA late 1st or DAL two 2nd's would be +/- pretty close. 

Look and willing to take on are different.  All those team i mentioned I bet would be interest in Niemi if it mean they gain a 1st round, even be it a late first.

Take the flames as an example.  What makes van more likely to make the deal over them? And we know that if dallas has the option to choose someone over van to deal with they will. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

yah i love that deal actually. Man Calgary must be seething for DAL to get him at that price, they would have paid a lot more. 

Apparently,Calgary was on Bishops 'no trade list'.....

Dallas should have a bounce back year next season.

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Look and willing to take on are different.  All those team i mentioned I bet would be interest in Niemi if it mean they gain a 1st round, even be it a late first.

Take the flames as an example.  What makes van more likely to make the deal over them? And we know that if dallas has the option to choose someone over van to deal with they will. 

Calgary needs a starter, not a Niemi.

55 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Calgary needs a starter, not a Niemi.

What makes you think Niemi would be their starter?  There's not much on the market, especially is Fluery is heading to LV. 

That means they are likely sticking with sticking with Elliot.  Now do they try to sign a guy like miller or would they prefer to take on the Niemi contract at the return of a first round pick?

canucks aren't the only ones that would be able to take goalie off the stars hands.  And because of that, it lowers the market return for doing so.  The higher the incentive, the more teams there will be to willing to take on that contract.

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What makes you think Niemi would be their starter?  There's not much on the market, especially is Fluery is heading to LV. 

That means they are likely sticking with sticking with Elliot.  Now do they try to sign a guy like miller or would they prefer to take on the Niemi contract at the return of a first round pick?

canucks aren't the only ones that would be able to take goalie off the stars hands.  And because of that, it lowers the market return for doing so.  The higher the incentive, the more teams there will be to willing to take on that contract.

So they're going to trade for Fleury and Niemi? Don't see it, sory. Think you're reaching to (try to) prove a point.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

So they're going to trade for Fleury and Niemi? Don't see it, sory. Think you're reaching to (try to) prove a point.

??? Where did you get that from?

I said Fluery is going to vegas not calgary.

There is no goalies on the market to fill the flames #1 need.  Aka them stilling with Elliot and finding a 1b for a back up.  Niemi would be a decent 1b, especially at the price of gaining another 1st round pick.. 

I think you're really reaching to believe that canucks would be the only team interest in taking Niemi along with a 1st round pick off the stars hands.. Time to get out of the canucks bubble.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There is no goalies on the market to fill the flames #1 need.  Aka them stilling with Elliot and finding a 1b for a back up.  Niemi would be a decent 1b, especially at the price of gaining another 1st round pick.. 

I think you're really reaching to believe that canucks would be the only team interest in taking Niemi along with a 1st round pick off the stars hands.. Time to get out of the canucks bubble.

Sorry, misread that. Never said anything about them being the only team.

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Why is Fluery going to LV?

I believe he has a NMC. Penguins need to protect him, buy him out or trade him. 

Unless he pulls a Burrows and agrees to be sent to LV.  They want to keep Murray over Fluery most likely. 

Maybe he would agree to go to Calgary over LV? Calgary made the playoffs. He would be the clear #1. 

Calgary might be able to get a good deal as they are helping Penguins out. 

Than I ask though, who really wants to move to Calgary. :lol:

Fleury has a modified NTC/NMC so he can definitely be exposed and picked up by Vegas.

As for Dallas, they have like $16 million in cap space plus another $4.5 million if they dump Niemi with no big contracts to sign, so they have alot of cap flexibility for next year.

I would say taking on Tanev's contract would be quite easy for them and a right handed D is their biggest need right now.  A trade for Tanev and taking Niemi back should make logical sense to Dallas.  The trick is what do we get back on top of Niemi.  Looking at their roster I don't see alot of top end young talent other than Ritchie, Honka and Gurianov.  And I'd be skeptical about picking up a Russian.  Nichushkin would be a huge gamble as he may never come back to the NHL.  So the only logical move would be for the Canucks to go after one of Dallas's first round picks.  Obviously the 3rd overall pick would be the prize.  I think Tanev plus our second should be able to do it.  This would be a big league move by Benning and could land us two significant players in this draft for our future.  Also, by having the 3rd overall it will give us some leverage to trade up one spot to #2 to allow us to draft either Hischier or Patrick.  So there is that angle as well.

I think Dallas is where JB should be looking at as a trading partner for the draft.  The potential is there to get some significant young assets that can really help speed up our rebuild.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:47 AM, theminister said:

It's important to realize that, currently, Dallas is not a profitable team and is a recipient of revenue sharing. They don't have the money in the budget to spend for someone who isn't helping the roster. That's been true half of the last decade, Benn and Seguin or not. They have an internal cap... it's not about cap space... They need to make the playoffs to get fans to buy season tickets. 

There are a few scenarios in my mind. One, is that they can minus Niemi... for either no retention or on a buyout. That's $1.7 mil they can't use to upgrade a position like D and stay on budget. That also leaves you with Lehtonen as a $5.9 mil back-up which is less than ideal for them. In this case, they not only are $1.7 mil added to cap from Niemi but the around  $4.5+ mil on a backup, so the real budget cost is more than $6.2 mil. 

The second scenario is that they can minus Lehtonen and take $2.6 mil for next year on a buyout  (thanks @mll) and overspend on their back up in Niemi by $3.0 mil, leaving them with with a total of $5.6 mil or more misapplied on their budget from goaltending. 

So this leaves their preferable scenario, in my mind, which is to completely eliminate both contracts, if possible. At the very least the most expensive one in Lehtonen, leaving them with only the issue of the $3.0 extra on Niemi. The actual savings to them this year is, with including a cheaper backup, 5.9 + 4.5 - 1.2 (?) = $9.2 mil. That's significant to them.

To do either they will need to spend from their asset base to mitigate it, there's no way around that, and they'd probably prefer to do both. If they can use picks/prospects/roster players to transfer that financial obligation they will.

feel free to flame away but Markstrom and our 3rd for Niemi, Lethonen, both dallas' first round picks and Nichushkin? then start fresh with Demko plus a UFA goalie in 18-19

2 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

feel free to flame away but Markstrom and our 3rd for Niemi, Lethonen, both dallas' first round picks and Nichushkin? then start fresh with Demko plus a UFA goalie in 18-19

Considering Marky's new contract I don't think that does anything to help Dallas' issue of having too much money spent on goaltending. 

At least it would be quality goaltending though. 

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Considering Marky's new contract I don't think that does anything to help Dallas' issue of having too much money spent on goaltending. 

At least it would be quality goaltending though. 

sure it would, they lose 10.4 million in salary and take back 3.6. That's a savings of 6.8 million against the cap for them. Money they can use to upgrade their defense. 

3 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

sure it would, they lose 10.4 million in salary and take back 3.6. That's a savings of 6.8 million against the cap for them. Money they can use to upgrade their defense. 

They'd still have a lot of money tied up in goalies between Bishop and Marky. I think they'd be looking for a cheap backup.

Archived