The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars re-sign Ben Bishop

On 5/15/2017 at 11:33 AM, J.R. said:

It's certainly possible but Van might be a better option than say LGK...

Jim Nill was just on NHL radio, he stated that he's already had a a handful of teams interested on both goalies, he said he's got lots of options to move either goalie but it likely wont happen until the expansion lists are released, if the returns don't make enough sense for the stars he's more than comfortable to buy out a goalie, but from the interest he's already got, he doesn't think it will come to that.

When asked if he could end up moving both and getting a young back up, he shrugged that off and said, he's prefers to keep one as a good back up since he believes you need two good goalies in today's game.  

32 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

if the returns don't make enough sense for the stars he's more than comfortable to buy out a goalie, but from the interest he's already got, he doesn't think it will come to that.

I'm just guessing that those "returns" he's referring to are "we'll take goalie XYZ off your hands for future considerations, but you have to throw in a draft pick or two."

Otherwise, why would he throw in "...more than comfortable to buy out a goalie." Essentially, he has to decide if he wants to pay someone to take a problem off his hands.

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm just guessing that those "returns" he's referring to are "we'll take goalie XYZ off your hands for future considerations, but you have to throw in a draft pick or two."

Otherwise, why would he throw in "...more than comfortable to buy out a goalie." Essentially, he has to decide if he wants to pay someone to take a problem off his hands.

Yeah that could be but the way it sounded, it was that he thought the market might become over flooded with backup goalies once the expansion list gets released, so worst case if that interest leaves he'd be fine buying out a guy. 

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah that could be but the way it sounded, it was that he thought the market might become over flooded with backup goalies once the expansion list gets released, so worst case if that interest leaves he'd be fine buying out a guy. 

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with goalies.

Off the top of my head, Philadelphia, Winnipeg, and Calgary are all teams that are looking for more solid goaltending, at least in the short term. You could throw Vancouver in there, but the above teams are looking to not only to consistently make the playoffs, but make noise in the playoffs.

So by looking at Philly, Calgary, and Winnipeg, their situations are all a little different. Philly extended Neuvirth in order to expose him for expansion. Stolarz is ready for light backup duty, so maybe they are thinking "Made of Inconsistency/Glass" Neuvirth can help him with the transition.

For Winnipeg and Calgary, I'm guessing they may both vie for Steve Mason for a 2 year deal. Mason likely wants more, but the market isn't in desperate need for starters on 5-6 year deals, now that Carolina and Dallas are off the market. And with Hellebuyck/Comrie in Winnipeg, they don't need someone long term, just a capable vet to help with the workload. However, there is also talk of Winnipeg putting together a package for Cory Schneider. But, you know, rumours.

I just think the market is not on Jim Nill's side. If I had to guess, I'd say Arizona is in the mix, as they always look to hit the floor, at the expense of taking more assets from other teams. Perhaps Tampa as well, but Dallas would DEFINITELY need to retain half the salary in order for Tampa to take one on, as they need to extend Drouin, Johnson, etc.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Jim Nill was just on NHL radio, he stated that he's already had a a handful of teams interested on both goalies, he said he's got lots of options to move either goalie but it likely wont happen until the expansion lists are released, if the returns don't make enough sense for the stars he's more than comfortable to buy out a goalie, but from the interest he's already got, he doesn't think it will come to that.

When asked if he could end up moving both and getting a young back up, he shrugged that off and said, he's prefers to keep one as a good back up since he believes you need two good goalies in today's game.  

You'd have to think "if" he is serious about this he'd keep Niemi at 1.4 million less than Lehtonen although I can't see him seriously carrying 9.4 million on 2 goaltenders.

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with goalies.

Off the top of my head, Philadelphia, Winnipeg, and Calgary are all teams that are looking for more solid goaltending, at least in the short term. You could throw Vancouver in there, but the above teams are looking to not only to consistently make the playoffs, but make noise in the playoffs.

So by looking at Philly, Calgary, and Winnipeg, their situations are all a little different. Philly extended Neuvirth in order to expose him for expansion. Stolarz is ready for light backup duty, so maybe they are thinking "Made of Inconsistency/Glass" Neuvirth can help him with the transition.

For Winnipeg and Calgary, I'm guessing they may both vie for Steve Mason for a 2 year deal. Mason likely wants more, but the market isn't in desperate need for starters on 5-6 year deals, now that Carolina and Dallas are off the market. And with Hellebuyck/Comrie in Winnipeg, they don't need someone long term, just a capable vet to help with the workload. However, there is also talk of Winnipeg putting together a package for Cory Schneider. But, you know, rumours.

I'm curious to what the jets will do this offseason too, Mason could make sense, but one minute he's unbeatable the next he forgot to show up,  Sounds a lot like Pavelec over the last 3 seasons.  But i guess when there's not a lot on the market you take what you can get.  I doubt he would sign with the jets, but Miller could be a decent short term option. 

What will the Jets do on the back end?  Trouba could fetch a pretty good return, maybe that's where the Schneider rumours come from. 

As for the flames, i heard they might be considering Elliot for another year and trying to also go after Condon to split games with, they aren't too sold on Mason, and apparently believe Fluery and Vegas is a for gone conclusion.

I just think the market is not on Jim Nill's side. If I had to guess, I'd say Arizona is in the mix, as they always look to hit the floor, at the expense of taking more assets from other teams. Perhaps Tampa as well, but Dallas would DEFINITELY need to retain half the salary in order for Tampa to take one on, as they need to extend Drouin, Johnson, etc.

What about cap dump for cap dump?  Niemi (40% retained) for Coburn/Garrison

Stars have cap so they can afford to retain, They also get another LHD depth. Something they need. 

Bolts save cap space 1-2 million in cap.

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm curious to what the jets will do this offseason too, Mason could make sense, but one minute he's unbeatable the next he forgot to show up,  Sounds a lot like Pavelec over the last 3 seasons.  But i guess when there's not a lot on the market you take what you can get.  I doubt he would sign with the jets, but Miller could be a decent short term option. 

What will the Jets do on the back end?  Trouba could fetch a pretty good return, maybe that's where the Schneider rumours come from. 

As for the flames, i heard they might be considering Elliot for another year and trying to also go after Condon to split games with, they aren't too sold on Mason, and apparently believe Fluery and Vegas is a for gone conclusion.

Stars have cap so they can afford to retain, They also get another LHD depth. Something they need. 

Bolts save cap space 1-2 million in cap.

Fleury to Vegas not so sure if you believe Bishop.  He said there were talks but that he heard they wanted to go younger - Fleury is older than him.  Speculation is Grubauer from Washington - McPhee drafted him.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Fleury to Vegas not so sure if you believe Bishop.  He said there were talks but that he heard they wanted to go younger - Fleury is older than him.  Speculation is Grubauer from Washington - McPhee drafted him.  

It would depend on what a team like Calgary is willing to offer in a trade since in PIT mind getting something is better than just loosing him to vegas for nothing.  But I also heard Vegas might overlook an exposed CBJ D, just to go after Korpisalo (who does fit the going younger mantra)

13 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

:wacko:

Coburn is no 'cap dump'.  He was a top 4 for them this year, at 3.7 million.

Tampa is in no position to 'dump' him - they'd need to add, not subtract, from their blueline - and certainly not for Niemi lol.

Coburn had a very good season for Tampa.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=50&teamid=27&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

50.8 corsi with 24.1% ozone starts.  Outstainding underlying numbers in a shutdown role.

The idea that they'd 'dump' him for a 4.5 mllion backup to sit on the bench is absurd.   Just what a team so tight to the cap 'needs'.

Archived