The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Province Top 10 Prospects Countdown - updated to #3

LOL.  Virt at #10 and Suban at #7.  The Province sinks to even lower depths.

On another note...I really like what JB says about his young players.  Yeah, yeah, he doesn't have the comprehensive dialogue of a college educated man, but he does have a very good understanding of the various skills required for a young player to make the NHL.  He also has a good read on where his young prospects are in their development and what needs to be worked on.

I am so tired of the media always trying to make JB out to be a buffoon.   "Euro skills and NA heart" is very easy to understand by any hockey fan, but the media has to turn it into something else.  It seems that the hockey writers/commentators with the least knowledge need to create this kind of crap in order to stay relevant these days.

3 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

As much as I like Breezy I think jake should be rated ahead of him Breezy hasn't showed he could even stick in the AHL.

Brisbois has been in junior. This will be his first year he will be eligible for the AHL. I do agree that Jake should be rated higher. 

16 minutes ago, billabong said:

Big fan of goldy. Add 10 pounds on muscle and we got a serious 20 goal guy. 

Quick guess the rest!

5. Gaudette

4. Dahlen

3. Juolevi

2. Boeser

1. Demko

If that order holds true we will have a very good goalie on our team.

The Hockey News ( which I don't quite agree with ) has Juolevi 15th best in the world ( BTW just behind Logan Brown at 14th... ugh..) Boesser at 23, Demko 62, Virtanen 86.  Dahlen and Goldobin didn't crack the top 100.  

Personally Goldobin should be ahead of Jake given his PPG AHL last year, and Dahlen might be ahead of him too, which would put them in the top seventy prospects in the world too.

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Virtanen showed up at Training camp last year 25 lbs overweight.

After a year in Utica and many sessions in the gym he looks like he will be ready for camp, He better be.

Procpects should be rated on skill, commitment, hockey IQ and many other attributes

Here is a pic of Jake before training camp last year and at the end of Utica's season a few months ago

C8lKVbwU0AIaoVC.jpg

Wow!  Vladimir Krutov flash back.  Jake does look skinny on the right, but at least you know he has taken his development seriously.  Otherwise he would still look like the guy on the left.

46 minutes ago, billabong said:

Big fan of goldy. Add 10 pounds on muscle and we got a serious 20 goal guy. 

Gonna be interesting to see how he shows up to camp. Adding strength was apparently the main directive management gave him in the player exit meetings. He's a very smart and driven kid, so I'd expect he'll be quite focused in his training and make some significant gains over the summer.

EDIT: Hadn't read the Province article before posting this and didn't realize how much I'd end up mirroring its content. 

Goldy with Sedins again and he could reach 20 goals.

Boeser with Horvat again and he could reach 20 goals.

Interesting to see if any of the top 5 prospects according to the Province make the team, as it seems Goldy will most likely get a shot again.

I'm thinking Boeser and maybe Juolevi if he shows up at training camp.

Of course if we trade Tanev, Juolevi's chances go up immensely. 

31 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Wow!  Vladimir Krutov flash back.  Jake does look skinny on the right, but at least you know he has taken his development seriously.  Otherwise he would still look like the guy on the left.

He looks like he takes his crack pipe too seriously on the right, on the left he looks like a tank.  

9 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Goldy with Sedins again and he could reach 20 goals.

Boeser with Horvat again and he could reach 20 goals.

Interesting to see if any of the top 5 prospects according to the Province make the team, as it seems Goldy will most likely get a shot again.

I'm thinking Boeser and maybe Juolevi if he shows up at training camp.

Of course if we trade Tanev, Juolevi's chances go up immensely. 

Horvat

D.Sedin

Granlund

Boesser

Bear

Sutter

L.E.

Should all get between 15-25 goals.  Goldobin too if he make the team which seems likely, Dahlen like his odds too although he and Virtanen are likely injury replacements.  

Its early but already NHL.com predictors have noticed Boesser and a few have him as a possible Calder candidate, scoring 50 plus points.  If he can handle the entire NHL season that is a possibility. NCAA stars typically have a better chance making it than junior stard given they play against men already, scoring is lower and points translate better.

I'd like to see Juolevi in the AHL first, but also give him the spot if he earns it in camp or by his play.  If he's as smart as he thinks he is, he might be able to make the team and stick once given the chance.  If we lose Sbisa our already thin blue line might provide an opportunity.  Werenski killed it this year, and maybe Juolevi can do the same...

A lot will depend on what system Green creates.   I hope he opens up a bit, and gets our defense more involved at both the transition and offensively.

I don't like how our management talks about our young players.  They are too frank & too willing to point out flaws, it's going to come back & bite them when they try to sign free agents/college kids.  I'd rather sign with an organization that doesn't have a habit of calling out their youngsters in the media, that's a top to bottom organizational issue that should be addressed.

1 hour ago, PLOGUE said:

I don't like how our management talks about our young players.  They are too frank & too willing to point out flaws, it's going to come back & bite them when they try to sign free agents/college kids.  I'd rather sign with an organization that doesn't have a habit of calling out their youngsters in the media, that's a top to bottom organizational issue that should be addressed.

This is the NHL where adult male professionals play a sport for millions of dollars.

its not a daycare for snowflakes.

Yeah, putting Virtanen at #10 causes people to talk and bicker, which is what Botchford does (troll). It could also be used as motivation for Virtanen. The picture comparisons are obvious, Green is the man. I'm pulling for Jake and hope he makes the Canucks next season.

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Curious how Virtanen is so low when the scouts used in the Hockey News annual future watch has him 86th overall when both Dahlen and Goldobin didn't crack the top hundred.  Guess they still believe he will contribute...

Or they just looked at draft position and NHL games played and didn't put any actual research into the Canucks. Is THN based in Toronto by any chance?

35 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Or they just looked at draft position and NHL games played and didn't put any actual research into the Canucks. Is THN based in Toronto by any chance?

Sure thats how they write the most in depth mag available on prospects and future draft picks.  And there all morons because of the eastern bias.  Plus the magazine arrived a week before Goldobin and Dahlen were traded...

Archived