The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Province Top 10 Prospects Countdown - updated to #3

39 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Why has everybody been overhyping Brisebois and Virtanen? Juolevi has regressed as well. He's not even the best defenseman on the Knights. Demko is going to take some time as well, probably a couple years. His fundamentals weren't there. Super agile, but you need to have a solid technical base to turn out like Schneider did. He does have the work ethic though, I'll give him that. 

Boeser should be at the top of everybody's list. 

Well aren't you just an optimistic bundle of sunshine.

23 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Why do I have a feeling that Adam Gaudette will decide to become a Free agent instead of signing with Vancouver? 

Maybe because you had the same "feeling" about Demko and Boeser?:o

On 2017-5-14 at 7:24 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Virtanen showed up at Training camp last year 25 lbs overweight.

After a year in Utica and many sessions in the gym he looks like he will be ready for camp, He better be.

Procpects should be rated on skill, commitment, hockey IQ and many other attributes

Here is a pic of Jake before training camp last year and at the end of Utica's season a few months ago

C8lKVbwU0AIaoVC.jpg

Wow that is an incredible change. He must have lost more than 25lbs in Utica.  Well done Mr. Green

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Why do I have a feeling that Adam Gaudette will decide to become a Free agent instead of signing with Vancouver? 

Well if he does, we won't know about it for years. But I guess it's never too early to start worrying about the wildly improbable. I never could understand how so many people think it's better to own a junior player's rights for 2 years than it is to own a college player's rights for 4 years.

On 2017-5-15 at 10:11 PM, MikeyD said:

Well he definitely didn't improve. 

He was told to focus on the defensive side of the game more, was on a weaker team and put up the same amount of points I'd say that is an improvement 

15 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I never could understand how so many people think it's better to own a junior player's rights for 2 years than it is to own a college player's rights for 4 years.

Probably has to do with the fact that an unsigned junior player goes back into the draft.... An unsigned college player becomes UFA.

On 2017-05-15 at 2:14 PM, HKSR said:

Exactly.  I'm actually curious what some of you Virtanen supporters are thinking in terms of where he'll end up in his career?  Personally, I'm with Timberwolf... 3rd line player that can hit hard and chip in goals.  I see his peak season being about 20 goals, but consistently a 10-15 goal scorer.

Let me ask you this.

Look at his pictures posted above , it is fairly recognized that Jake focused his training in the wrong direction last off season.  In today's NHL it is very hard to make up ground with a mistake like that. Kids make mistakes so learn and move on. 

Putting the improper training regime into context and the corrections taken by Jake and Green in Utica, when do you think Jake caught up and started showing what kind of player he can be?  

Follow up, do really believe, viewing his last season is a clear representation of his abilities while he was getting extra drills and bag skated a few times a week?  

IMO no one really has a clear idea of what player Jake will be because his development in the last two years offers little for comparison.  He did OK as a limited rookie in the NHL, his AHL season was one giant boot camp. 

He seems to have better guidance and a much stronger relationship with Green who knows what it takes as player to train for the NHL. He will likely get a much more gifted playmaker for a center if he gets sent back down to Utica, so I do expect a significant jump in points. 

IMO Jake is a top six winger PF who can score more than 20 a season for years in Vancouver.  But I am a glass half full kinda guy.  

EmW

6 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He seems to have better guidance and a much stronger relationship with Green who knows what it takes as player to train for the NHL. He will likely get a much more gifted playmaker for a center if he gets sent back down to Utica, so I do expect a significant jump in points. 

IMO Jake is a top six winger PF who can score more than 20 a season for years in Vancouver.  But I am a glass half full kinda guy.  

This is what I'm hoping makes the difference for Jake. And Subban as well. Both of them seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent, Jake got massive in the offseason and Subbans watching Chara videos :blink: 

But if Green can help them both get on the right track its a real win for us. Willie was touted as this great teacher, but frankly I didn't see it outside of the guys with the mentality and drive there already like Jake and Granny. With Jake, Willie never did find the right message. 

On 5/15/2017 at 10:11 PM, MikeyD said:

Well he definitely didn't improve. 

If all you're looking at is stat lines, sure.

Played a far more defensive role, while sheltering a rookie, on a lesser team and still managed to put up basically the same points. 

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Demko at should be third, behind Juolevi and Boesser.  He's still considered a top goalie by future watch, and given we don't have anything else in the system the team needs him to work out.

I'm also curious to see what they have in mind there.

Archived