The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Tanev for Barrie

Colorado is rebuilding like we are. Is there a possibility we can get Barrie? Tanev is a bit older but is a solid defender which they could use going forward.

Barrie is the offensive PP qb we need. Would allow us to NOT draft Makar @ #5. 

is a 1 for 1 reasonable?

I personally think we would need to add (most of you likely will disagree) I would be ok with adding the columbus pick if we do get it. We need an elite PP qb. Barrie is a local boy so it is a nice story to at least discuss, so discuss

Barrie is 5"10 and not great defensively and we also have Stretcher. I just dont see place fr two undersized Dman on the roster considering we play in pacific division.

However colorado would love that deal as that need some help on the back end. Canucks will want more, I think Tanev is far more valuable than Barrie

I think COL is looking add to their D core, not swap guys out. They have some F talent they can trade, we have some D, that kind of deal is probably more likely if anything. I'm not convinced Sakic is really going to pull the tigger on any major move tbh but we'll see. 

It's always fun to speculate, and the value seems close to being a fair trade but 2 things:

1/ Partners who are in basically the same boat (rebuilders) don't always make great trade partners...the best deals are usually struck on TDL day (just think of the final 4 in play right now and go back and imagine the king's ransom in picks/prospects that we could get from any of them for Tanev).

2/ I think most in the hockey community are pretty confident that Tanev will be sporting Blue and White next year...seems the final details are about all that's being ironed out (or I'm totally wrong and he's still a Nuck...until TDL 2018 that is...)

26 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

2/ I think most in the hockey community are pretty confident that Tanev will be sporting Blue and White next year...seems the final details are about all that's being ironed out 

Nylander or no deal.  Time for JB to play the 'not' nice guy.

It beats me why all this talk about trading Tanev. On a Swiss cheese defence last season, despite being injured for a good part of it, he ended up with a +3. Compared with Edler -20; Hutton -22; Stecher -16; Gudbranson -14. In my opinion it's a no-brainer that the Canucks should hang on to him.

Just now, ynwa said:

It beats me why all this talk about trading Tanev. On a Swiss cheese defence last season, despite being injured for a good part of it, he ended up with a +3. Compared with Edler -20; Hutton -22; Stecher -16; Gudbranson -14. In my opinion it's a no-brainer that the Canucks should hang on to him.

because he holds the most value and can bring in a couple of good young pieces. No rush though, we have him signed for another 3 years.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Tanev's not going to get Nylander.

I think, if Tanev gets traded, some people on this forum are going to freak out when the return is not "the sun and the moon". Tanev does not produce points. Tanev is mostly a reliable defenseman and young. While that has some value, it's not going to pick up a rookie who scored 60 points.

On 2017-05-14 at 8:02 AM, Yotes said:

Colorado is rebuilding like we are. Is there a possibility we can get Barrie? Tanev is a bit older but is a solid defender which they could use going forward.

Barrie is the offensive PP qb we need. Would allow us to NOT draft Makar @ #5. 

is a 1 for 1 reasonable?

I personally think we would need to add (most of you likely will disagree) I would be ok with adding the columbus pick if we do get it. We need an elite PP qb. Barrie is a local boy so it is a nice story to at least discuss, so discuss

I didn't like this trade at first but then I was thinking maybe Barrie gets better on D (harder to teach offence) and would pair up well in the future with puck moving defensively responsible, 200 foot game OJ?

Not sold on the trade but maybe not as bad as I first thought.

Edit: having said that I think someone else mentioned that Tanev might not be in the age group Colorado is looking to add. That would make this a no go for Colorado.

On 2017-05-14 at 10:28 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Nylander is skilled but soft. I'd rather have picks for 2018. 

Are you serious? He would have been our number 1 scorer last year if he managed to get his 61 pts with us. 

This would be a no-brainer for us. Highly doubt Toronto takes that deal.

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Are you serious? He would have been our number 1 scorer last year if he managed to get his 61 pts with us. 

So would Vrbata or Eberle.  Would you trade Tanev for them?  We need more hard to play against forwards, not double flamingos.

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Fanuck said:

Goldobin...Dahlen... he's definitely playing the not nice guy. I can't wait to see what he gets for Tanev.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So would Vrbata or Eberle.  Would you trade Tanev for them?  We need more hard to play against forwards, not double flamingos.

Nylander is an exceptional rookie on the rise. I am sure we could find a lucic type to play with him. That was a bad comparison my furry friend.

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

good, i hate that double flamingo wimp 

On 5/14/2017 at 9:55 AM, S'all Good Man said:

I think COL is looking add to their D core, not swap guys out. They have some F talent they can trade, we have some D, that kind of deal is probably more likely if anything. I'm not convinced Sakic is really going to pull the tigger on any major move tbh but we'll see. 

He said in an interview they were going to see major turnover this off-season.

On 5/14/2017 at 4:14 PM, The Lock said:

Tanev's not going to get Nylander.

I think, if Tanev gets traded, some people on this forum are going to freak out when the return is not "the sun and the moon". Tanev does not produce points. Tanev is mostly a reliable defenseman and young. While that has some value, it's not going to pick up a rookie who scored 60 points.

I bet Taylor Hall is shaking his head at you right now.

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I bet Taylor Hall is shaking his head at you right now.

Larsson has more upside, actually had a good playoffs, and is younger than Tanev. He's also a 4th overall draft pick. Tanev was never drafted.

So Tanev is less likely to get Hall as well. ;)

Archived