The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban scouting Ryan Ellis

CanadianRugby

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How about when he comes up, he gets a friggin' chance to play at least?

Green won't be as hestitant to play him when he does get called up.  If Sbisa is picked up, which appears likely if Vegas scouted well, a roster spot opens up and when the inevitable injuries occur Subban will get his chances, and if he works on the PP he should become a regular.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Green won't be as hestitant to play him when he does get called up.  If Sbisa is picked up, which appears likely if Vegas scouted well, a roster spot opens up and when the inevitable injuries occur Subban will get his chances, and if he works on the PP he should become a regular.

you know he was a healthy scratch in Utica, under Green, right?

Just now, stawns said:

you know he was a healthy scratch in Utica, under Green, right?

Green knows his tendencies.  If we have two defenseman out from injuries, and lose Sbisa from expansion, who do you see?  Biega, Pedan maybe, then ?

Just now, IBatch said:

Green knows his tendencies.  If we have two defenseman out from injuries, and lose Sbisa from expansion, who do you see?  Biega, Pedan maybe, then ?

Pedan/UFA/McEneny

Subban is not next up on the list, McE has passed him on the prospect list

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

McEneny is probably ahead of Pedan (and Subban) at this point FWIW. Camp could change that by all means. Pending seeing him at this level, Brisebois might not be much behind Subban either.

Jordan Subbans gonna make it just watch too much drive and pedigree plus league is trending towards guys like him smaller but better skaters than big D and he'll start your attack and power play.

Why draft Makar or Lilegreen or whoever when Subban should be NHL ready very shortly.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

McEneny is probably ahead of Pedan (and Subban) at this point FWIW. Camp could change that by all means. Pending seeing him at this level, Brisebois might not be much behind Subban either.

I really like Brisbois...we may have a player there.  Leadership abilities and solid two way defender.  Will be interesting to see how his game translates in Utica.  Must be frustrating for Subban, if he was 6' 3" and could play the same he wouldnt have to watch guys like Stetcher and the year before Hutton come in and earn a roster spot, and I agree quite possibly Brisbois will be next to pass him on the depth chart.  I don't see Pedan making it...love his size and willingness to use it...but time is ticking.  Biega reminds me a bit of a young Steve Staois, borderline player who's fiestiness and hitting kept us interested, but then of course we traded a future captain before he put it all together, and plays bigger than he is.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Jordan Subbans gonna make it just watch too much drive and pedigree plus league is trending towards guys like him smaller but better skaters than big D and he'll start your attack and power play.

Why draft Makar or Lilegreen or whoever when Subban should be NHL ready very shortly.

We still need a true top pairing, and we won't get that from a trade.  Draft the best defenseman available this year, unless Valardi is still on the board.  Next year Dahlen if we can, if not pick a center, defenseman take longer anyways so it wouldnt hurt to pass on this year's forwards.  Hughes is the next generational player McDavid/Crosbyesque if we get him (and Dahlen, let's be greedy) we'll have our star power...now of course we need Demko to work out but we'd finally have our core pieces.

If Subban works out, all the better.

Maybe he'll also scout Yannik Weber :)

I kind of like that idea, IBatch, that if Vilardi's available, you take him. If he's gone, take Liljegren or Maker. Canucks need RHD, especially if they trade Tanev at some point.

Future pairings?

Juolevi - Liljegren/Makar

Hutton - Gudbranson

Brisebois - Stecher

McEneny - Subban

Not an old, slow guy in the bunch.

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

Awesome that Elliott just mentioned this, great exposure for Jordan, I'm becoming a believer!!!

Yeah, he told it well. Subban is going to work his butt off this summer and is getting good direction from PK and Green.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

He has undeniable talent.  I always remember PK's comments regarding Jordan being the smarter player.  If that proves to be true, there's no reason he can't emerge as an NHL defenseman, particularly if his work ethic is as suggested - being smaller isn't going to be the determining factor.

thats a pretty bold statement about a 5'9 defenseman 

Archived