The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban scouting Ryan Ellis

CanadianRugby

9 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I will hold out hope for the dark guy in the middle his skill is enjoyable to watch and he's not boring same old same old.

Seriously, you actually talk like that amongst friends and family?

Trade Jordan Subban to Montreal, they could use him.

Jordan is the first to be shipped off to Utica some three years in a row, I suspect our D ( Trymankin is missed ) is settling into a core group at the exclusion of Jordan Subban.

Probably the most interesting part of this is Jordan's description of himself vs Eillis: 

"But it’s not the scoring Subban notices.

“It’s the way that he defends. He’s always in great position, always great with the stick. He plays hard and smart, he knows how to use his brain a bit more to slow down the game. I’m always trying to push the pace, so that’s something I’m going to watch." and "“It’s different watching Ellis in certain positions than, say, Zdeno Chara. I never thought that way before. I always studied the best players, wanting to be like them.”

So maybe stop trying to "push the pace"? I hope this is Jordan's coachable ah-ha moment, where an idea clicks with him and Green can get an NHL level player out of him. If he's been trying to be something he's not that may explain a lot. 

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

Trade Jordan Subban to Montreal, they could use him.

Jordan is the first to be shipped off to Utica some three years in a row, I suspect our D ( Trymankin is missed ) is settling into a core group at the exclusion of Jordan Subban.

I think you are right. It would be nice if J. Subban turned into a Ryan Ellis. But it would also be nice if I pooped gold and Unicorns flew in the sky. 

14 minutes ago, 6string said:

I suspect you're suspecting a bit much, prematurely:  he just turned 22yrs old.  He's younger than anyone that played on the Canucks blueline last year - a blueline that was the NHL's youngest for stretches of the season.  Might be a bit early to assume the blueline is settling or that it will exclude Subban.

I'm not going to assume he does or does not make it - and I'm not going to 'compare' him to Ellis - but the fact remains that Ellis played his draft +5 seasons before he cracked the Predators bluelines, with a few part seasons in the NHL before that point.  He's 26, in his 4th full NHL season.  If it's too late for Subban.....that would suggest it was too late for Ellis at 22 yrs of age - when really, he started to emerge as an NHLer at age 23.

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

The guy is a hot dogger and a defensive mess.  

Who cares who his brother told him to scout?   

All this time with Green, and he still isn't figuring it out.    Why would watching a couple games make a difference?  

From the start of the year, to the end, his D game barely improved.  

Other parts of his game got better, but it just doesn't seem to get he is there to keep the puck out of the net.  

I could probably name a hand full of guys who are "hot doggers" and a defensive mess in their own end, but are NHL regulars.

No one is expecting him to be given minutes, but when the team wasn't going anywhere far, at the end of last season. There was no harm in seeing what we had in him for a few games, playing shelter minutes (in offensive situations). Worst case scenario, he gets man-handled and he gets sent back down to refine his game.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I could probably name a hand full of guys who are "hot doggers" and a defensive mess in their own end, but are NHL regulars.

No one is expecting him to be given minutes, but when the team wasn't going anywhere far, at the end of last season. There was no harm in seeing what we had in him for a few games, playing shelter minutes (in offensive situations). Worst case scenario, he gets man-handled and he gets sent back down to refine his game.

I'm really sick of seeing people say

'why not just give him some games and see what we have in him?'

You CAN see what we have in him.  

In fact, I watched pretty much every single game he played this year.  

You can see it all on the team he plays for.  

That is where you can see he isn't close to being an NHL defensemen and doesn't deserve to see NHL ice yet.  YET

One day maybe, but now, nope. 

7 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

You CAN see what we have in him.  

In fact, I watched pretty much every single game he played this year.  

You can see it all on the team he plays for.  

That is where you can see he isn't close to being an NHL defensemen and doesn't deserve to see NHL ice yet.  YET

One day maybe, but now, nope. 

When people say "let's see what we have in him?" They mean, let's see what he can do with his OFFENSIVE skills, in the big leagues, because the AHL and NHL are two completely different leagues, when it comes to skillset. 

If Jordan can't show he can be an offensive defensemen in the NHL, then it's more than likely we will never see him in the NHL and fans can move on.

When you watch anahiem and nashville right now you can see how much more effective teams can be offensively when they are able to move the puck out of their own end. They are way more mobile and quick to transition than the canucks. We need more players that can play that type of game. Not more plugs that cant think fast enough to play in the nhl like Pedan. Subban better not be the first player sent down to utica this training camp again. 

At the very least the Canucks would be wise to stick with this kid and try and turn him into a NHL player.  If they draft a D with their first pick this year then we will have some tradable pieces in a few years. The new league fits Subban skills and teams are looking for players like him.

6 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I always cringe when I read that as well.  

Media logic.

As if players' development can't be hurt by bombing in an NHL stint....but hey now we know.  

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

that is exactly what giving him minutes means.  Offensively, he was enjoyable to watch.  In his own end, he was a big liability, and that was at the AHL level.  I like Subban, but based on how bad he got worked at that level, I don't see any NHL career for him.  I hope I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

When people say "let's see what we have in him?" They mean, let's see what he can do with his OFFENSIVE skills, in the big leagues, because the AHL and NHL are two completely different leagues, when it comes to skillset. 

If Jordan can't show he can be an offensive defensemen in the NHL, then it's more than likely we will never see him in the NHL and fans can move on.

If someone proves he cannot play D in the AHL, what makes you think he would be better in the NHL?

There is no questioning his offensive skill. 

Its not about that.   This is about a tiny person who gets manhandled, then skates around the ice with zero direction, constantly getting caught out of position,

and can't handle the game when it is in his own zone. All this in the AHL. 

Who give a poop about his offense? 

You DO NOT reward that type of play with a promotion.  You just don't do it. 

Green to the team. ' ok guys. 

You are out here trying to win the game.  

I'm real proud of you.   Now we are going to put this kid out here to hot dog around you.   Yes, he is going to cause a couple goals against, but the fans want to see what we have in him because they dont want to watch a Utica game.'

nope 

My hot take - Subban will end up being better than Troy Stecher!  It probably won't be with the canucks, but some NHL team will give him his shot!  Don't listen to his defensive critics, as it's overblown.  Plus, his offense is worth any mistakes he might make.  Not all defensemen need to be all world defensively, if they have offense to make up for it.  You know who else got knocked for similar things for years?....the great Erik Karlsson!

Archived