The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rancher Gifts Land to First Nation

nucklehead

http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2017/05/rancher-gifts-land-to-first-nation.html?m=1

In a surprise move a Cariboo rancher has donated his land to Esk’etemc (Alkali Lake) First Nation after being a neighbour of the community for more than 50 years.

Kenneth Linde, 86, bought the land in 1961 and is giving 50 per cent of 640 acres, the woodlot and the water rights to Esk’etemc. Grand Chief Ed John described Linde’s gesture as a “remarkable act of reconciliation.”

“It’s significant because now there’s dialogue in this country about reconciliation and rather than talking about it he is doing something about it,” John said.

Chief Charlene Belleau announced Linde’s gift during a declaration of Esk’etemc title and rights ceremony and celebration held Monday, May 8 in the community at the Sxoxomic Gymnasium.

Belleau said Linde had called the band office asking her to meet him at his ranch and surprised her with his offer. As he stood there draped in a blanket presented to him by the community, the community honoured him with a song, hugs and handshakes.
“Look after the waters on the land,” Linde told the crowd.

Hundreds of people attended the celebration, which began with a traditional pipe ceremony. Many were dressed in regalia and holding ceremonial staffs or feathers.

The celebration and ceremony showed how the community is tying itself back to the land in a significant way, Grand Chief Ed John said.

The churches and governments for a long time tried to disconnect us from our land, languages and culture,” John said.

“Today I see the effort of the people here to reorganize themselves and rethink according to their teachings and values, connecting back to each other as families, community and connecting back to their songs and drums and more importantly to the land.”

nice.

My personal theory is we should not allow any new resource development in Canada until First Nations health indicators are within 10% of the rest of Canada. That would cut through the bureaucracy pretty fast imo. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

nice.

My personal theory is we should not allow any new resource development in Canada until First Nations health indicators are within 10% of the rest of Canada. That would cut through the bureaucracy pretty fast imo. 

Whoa...easy now.

You're suggesting canada keep its word and bring the infrastructure of every first nations reserve in to line with standard townships across the country.

It's been over 40 years and most reserves don't even have bridges/roads/sewage treatment or clean water.  

That's like asking TSN to report on something that isn't Leafs related ;) 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

nice.

Great idea.   Money talks.....

This gives me the warm and fuzzies, great stuff. Not often we read a positive news story like this, but it doesn't surprise me. There are some really great Canadians out there wanting to do their part to help First Nations people. Hope there's more to follow.

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

nice.

There's a lot of corruption rampant within the First Nations communities. I'm not blaming the people; I'm blaming the system for its imperfections when "dealing" with the people.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Whoa...easy now.

You're suggesting canada keep its word and bring the infrastructure of every first nations reserve in to line with standard townships across the country.

It's been over 40 years and most reserves don't even have bridges/roads/sewage treatment or clean water.  

Lots of money is being given to the Chiefs of these communities. Do they deserve the substantial salary difference?

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Whoa...easy now.

yup i am. and it would happen in a hell of a hurry. And you'd bypass any rare sketchy band management too as they would need this to happen quick too. All you need is a PM with the stones to do it, it could be done by the executive actually as policy not legislation. 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

There's a lot of corruption rampant within the First Nations communities. I'm not blaming the people; I'm blaming the system for its imperfections when "dealing" with the people.

there's lots of corruption everywhere. And for the record, nothing is "given" it was negotiated. 

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Lots of money is being given to the Chiefs of these communities. Do they deserve the substantial salary difference?

Might be worthwhile to learn the distinction between the Indian Act band council system - and Indigenous cultures.  The people you're referring to as "chiefs" aren't necessarily - they are band councillors.  Chiefs are the spokespeople for their famiilies, in the traditional, hereditary system - which the Indian Acts intended to eliminate.  There is that division driven through the heart of Indigenous communities - when you speak of corruption or question the management of capital at the band level, it's worth understanding that context.

Archived