The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Brady, "Moors Murders", Serial Killer of 5 Children, Dead at 79

DonLever

The poster child for the for the Pro-Capital Punishment movement has died at age 79.

From USA Today:

LONDON — Ian Brady, a killer of five children whose role in the 1960s "Moors Murders" made him one of Britain’s most reviled criminals, died Monday. He was 79.

Health officials said Brady died at a high-security psychiatric hospital in northwestern England.

No cause of death was immediately given. At a court hearing in February, lawyers said Brady had been bedridden for the last couple of years and it was “fair to say” he was terminally ill, with emphysema among his ailments.

Brady and his girlfriend, Myra Hindley, were convicted and sentenced to life in 1966 for the vicious murders of 10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey and 17-year-old Edward Evans. Brady was also found guilty of killing John Kilbride, 12.

The pair confessed in 1987 to murdering two more children, Pauline Reade, 16, and Keith Bennett, 12.

Some of the victims were beaten, tortured and sexually abused before being killed. Their bodies were eventually buried on desolate Saddleworth Moor in northwestern England.

Hindley and Brady were caught in 1965, after they forced Hindley’s brother-in-law, David Smith, to watch as they killed Evans. (Details removed)

Smith fled and called police, who eventually found Kilbride and Downey’s bodies buried on the moor.

The abuse of Downey, snatched by the couple from a fairground the day after Christmas in 1964, had been recorded on audio tape and was played to the court at the couple’s trial.

God! I hope it was a painful death. I was living in England when this all came to light. I find it absolutely sickening that anybody could do those things to another human being, let alone a child.

20 hours ago, DonLever said:

From the SUN.UK:

Who was Ian Brady?

Better yet, who cares?

Unless it gives insight and understanding, I'd hate to give this guy publicity and notariety.   Let him fizzle out without a thought....

And, in seeing the post above mine, I agree (and have edited as such).  At work, so if I've missed anything, please let me know.

Archived