The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arizona gets shafted even in NBA draft lottery!

westvandude

This was unfortunate to see for them, after the yotes drop multiple spots and missing out on top 3 picks two years in a row in NHL draft, now the Suns drop multiple spots from 2nd overall too, and the top picks are way more significant in NBA than NHL.

As a side note, what a terrible trade Nets did with Celtics! 3 first round picks + another pick swap for a couple of end-of-career super stars. And now after those superstars have retires and Nets are sucking big time, they lose their would-have-been 1st overall pick to Celtics! 

Imagine being in the conference finals with a young core AND getting the 1st overall pick in the upcoming draft! Boston sport fans are the luckiest in North America!

Apparently there's an Eric Lindros type player in this NBA draft. Publicly said he'd rather go 2nd than 1st because he only wants to play for one team and his favourite team has the No. 2 selection. Last night he told other teams he'd be completely unwilling to workout or interview for them. I think his least favourite team has the No. 1 pick and even though I'm not an NBA fan at all I'd find humour in karma. Really hope this kid doesn't get what he wants, it doesn't work that way.

This is why the Lottery system in both the NBA and the NHL don't work. The lousy teams don't get the help they need. Besides what's the lottery done to stop tanking? Teams are still doing it. Heck Toronto was even rewarded for it. The NFL has no lottery system, and teams like the Browns are still bad. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is why the Lottery system in both the NBA and the NHL don't work. The lousy teams don't get the help they need. Besides what's the lottery done to stop tanking? Teams are still doing it. Heck Toronto was even rewarded for it. The NFL has no lottery system, and teams like the Browns are still bad. 

You're acting like Boston got the first overall in the NBA with their own pick. That wasn't Boston's pick, that was a really crappy teams pick who traded it 4 years ago to them from what I've read. I looked into it because I couldn't believe a final 4 team had that pick.

Funny you bring up Toronto because the eventual 2nd overall pick (Tyler Seguin) that was traded to Boston from Toronto is pretty much the same situation as this one in the NBA right now, just with a different team. Don't blame the system, blame idiot GM's who trade these picks.

As for the NHL lottery - yes it's absolutely stupid. 

15 minutes ago, Xbox said:

You're acting like Boston got the first overall in the NBA with their own pick. That wasn't Boston's pick, that was a really crappy teams pick who traded it 4 years ago to them from what I've read. I looked into it because I couldn't believe a final 4 team had that pick.

Funny you bring up Toronto because the eventual 2nd overall pick (Tyler Seguin) pick that was traded to Boston from Toronto is pretty much the same situation as this one in the NBA right now, just with a different team. Don't blame the system, blame idiot GM's who trade these picks.

As for the NHL lottery - yes it's absolutely stupid. 

Pierce-Garnett.jpg

What were they (Brooklyn) thinking.

NBA is probably the worst sport in terms on entertainment and that is saying something (/cough baseball).  First off, way too many timeouts.  Put that dam orange ball in the basket - that's all you need to do so why do they stop game every 5min to strategize?  Second the hack a shaq intentionally fouling either a poor free throw shooter or just getting the ball back faster.  It just kills the flow of the game.  Even if the NBA had parity - it's a total pain watching the last 5min of a close game.  Which brings point # 3 - What parity?  These super teams (Cleveland / GS) are absolutely killing any entertainment value of these playoffs.  We all know it's going to be GS/Cleveland in the final and in fact I probably posted that in the NBA forum at the beginning of the season.  The games in these playoffs have been blowouts, some as bad as 40points.  You know it's bad when the TV commentators like Barkley are mocking the very sport their paid to cover.  I wont even get into the thuggery. 

I was so choke when we lost our Grizzlies but now it's a blessing in disguise.  There is no way on Earth a NBA team here would ever be competitive so I say good riddance.

/end rant 

35 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

NBA is probably the worst sport in terms on entertainment and that is saying something (/cough baseball). 

While I empathize with some of your points, the amount of revenue being generated by the NBA, the players, the sports companies, the networks, the teams, etc. suggest you are wrong - people are willing to pay a lot of money for this "worst" entertainment. Each sport has their strong points and weak points. One can easily put down football (i.e., soccer) saying that there's so much fake injuries, low scoring games, diluted talent pool, teams buying championships, etc., but based on its popularity all over the world, football's the best sport ever. 

44 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

NBA is probably the worst sport in terms on entertainment and that is saying something (/cough baseball).  First off, way too many timeouts.  Put that dam orange ball in the basket - that's all you need to do so why do they stop game every 5min to strategize?  Second the hack a shaq intentionally fouling either a poor free throw shooter or just getting the ball back faster.  It just kills the flow of the game.  Even if the NBA had parity - it's a total pain watching the last 5min of a close game.  Which brings point # 3 - What parity?  These super teams (Cleveland / GS) are absolutely killing any entertainment value of these playoffs.  We all know it's going to be GS/Cleveland in the final and in fact I probably posted that in the NBA forum at the beginning of the season.  The games in these playoffs have been blowouts, some as bad as 40points.  You know it's bad when the TV commentators like Barkley are mocking the very sport their paid to cover.  I wont even get into the thuggery. 

I was so choke when we lost our Grizzlies but now it's a blessing in disguise.  There is no way on Earth a NBA team here would ever be competitive so I say good riddance.

/end rant 

It hard to have parity, when elite players like Lebron, Durant, Curry, MJ, Kobe, Shaq plays 40-45 minutes of a 48 minutes games. That like 90% of the game.

Imagine if Crosby, Gretzky, McDavid, Lemieux, could play 50 minutes of an NHL games.  The reality is they only play 33% of the game and all-star goalie that can play 60 minutes can't score goals.   So it's a totally different dynamic.

I've given up on the NBA. If I want to watch Basketball, I'd watch the NCAA. 

Which is sad because I used to love basketball. But the NBA has so turned me off. Let the folks who want to enjoy it have their little toy. Golf is popular on TV, doesn't make me want to watch it/ or play it. 

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Pierce-Garnett.jpg

What were they (Brooklyn) thinking.

The Russian owner was thinking he could beat the Heat by spending money like no tomorrow for players past their prime.

Didn't really work out lol

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

/end rant 

Nba has the best athletes out of any sport. I love watching the game. Minus the finals the nba playoffs can be a little boring but I still tune in. Why? Cause the ending if close is more exciting than hockey/baseball and even football. 

You say the entertainment is killed but ppl still watch these teams. Last years finals was the most watched nba finals since 98. This years numbers will be even better. 

The finals alone make the nba playoffs worth it.

2 hours ago, Sikhguy23 said:

The Russian owner was thinking he could beat the Heat by spending money like no tomorrow for players past their prime.

Didn't really work out lol

But but but they went 4-0 against the Heat in the reg season that year :emot-parrot:

4 hours ago, Tigs said:

Kid is pretty stuck up and his Dad is even worse.

Nope, lonzo is a humble kid his dad was the one that said he will only play for the lakers. Honestly don't hate on the kid because of the stupid $&!# his dad says.

7 hours ago, Xbox said:

Apparently there's an Eric Lindros type player in this NBA draft. Publicly said he'd rather go 2nd than 1st because he only wants to play for one team and his favourite team has the No. 2 selection. Last night he told other teams he'd be completely unwilling to workout or interview for them. I think his least favourite team has the No. 1 pick and even though I'm not an NBA fan at all I'd find humour in karma. Really hope this kid doesn't get what he wants, it doesn't work that way.

He's the #2 ranked player anyway unlike Lindros so... it's likely it would've worked out for him anyway 

1 hour ago, numb3r 16 said:

Nope, lonzo is a humble kid his dad was the one that said he will only play for the lakers. Honestly don't hate on the kid because of the stupid $&!# his dad says.

Wow so everything just fell into this kids lap.

Archived