The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's time to eliminate home team last change

3 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

I'd rather see them get rid of wearing away jerseys on home ice.

Who's the zipper-head that came up with that one.

I'm guessing the same numbskull that created the flaming 'Fox' puck.

Last change is a part of the game - otherwise you'd have both coaches playing 'chicken' waiting to see what the other will do.

The idea was that coloured jerseys are more identifiable. Every team has whites. Not every team is green, or red, or blue, etc. Boiled down, the league just wanted more jersey sales.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:41 PM, kazin! said:

The idea was that coloured jerseys are more identifiable. Every team has whites. Not every team is green, or red, or blue, etc. Boiled down, the league just wanted more jersey sales.

Plus it created an identity for home ice fans. Look at the Flames, Capitals, Preds, and Oilers for example. Entire crowd is smothered in the team's home colour predominantly and makes it that much more intimidating and thus, home ice advantage. Caps and Flames have been wearing their reds for years and its just a blanket of red covering the arena

On 5/18/2017 at 10:29 PM, Matt_T83 said:

I've mulled this over for a while, and the Senators-Penguins series has convinced me that the home team having the last line change for faceoffs is unfair in a 7 game playoff series. The series looked tight in games 1-2, but that's because the Penguins had last change. When the Senators had control of the matchup in game 3, they blew them out of the water. This was 100% because of matchups dictated by the last change. The Senators should be 3-0 in the series right now.

But how would you determine who gets last change? I will agree that one team needs to have last change, or coaches would just endlessly delay at every faceoff. I would suggest the team on the offensive side of the ice always get last change. In other words, if your team has a faceoff in your half of the ice, you must change your lines first. This gives the offensive team the ability to dictate matchups, which in my opinion would also help increase scoring ever so slightly. The exception to this would be center ice facecoffs, which could still go to the home team.

That would be chaos! Games would take forever. A common argument against any rule change is that it will confuse players, delay games, and generally ruin the game. This is almost always made by ignorant people that are blind to history. Players and coaches are smart people. Within half a season of this rule change taking effect they will have adjusted.

But you play all season for home ice advantage! It has been earned. Sure, you play all season for home ice advantage in the playoffs. That's why you get an extra home game in your arena, in front of your hometown fans (if the series goes 7 games). That extra home game is reward enough. Having a tangible advantage within the game itself is too much.

Edit: I'm a Sens fan! I'm surprised that people are thinking I'm a salty Penguins fan. I'm definitely a Sens fan, and I am arguing that the Sens should be 3-0 right now. The only reason they lost game 2 was they had to change their lines first every game. I just think having last change for the home team is too much of an advantage.

Whats with all the stupid rules changes. Please, no more rule changes...leave the game alone. The more we change the rules, the more we change them back again. What is wrong with last change? Don't fix something that isn't broken.

On 5/21/2017 at 0:38 PM, Apple Juice said:

Plus it created an identity for home ice fans. Look at the Flames, Capitals, Preds, and Oilers for example. Entire crowd is smothered in the team's home colour predominantly and makes it that much more intimidating and thus, home ice advantage. Caps and Flames have been wearing their reds for years and its just a blanket of red covering the arena

Yep. Good thing the Canucks have had so many colours over the years!

On 5/18/2017 at 7:29 AM, Matt_T83 said:

I've mulled this over for a while, and the Senators-Penguins series has convinced me that the home team having the last line change for faceoffs is unfair in a 7 game playoff series. The series looked tight in games 1-2, but that's because the Penguins had last change. When the Senators had control of the matchup in game 3, they blew them out of the water. This was 100% because of matchups dictated by the last change. The Senators should be 3-0 in the series right now.

But how would you determine who gets last change? I will agree that one team needs to have last change, or coaches would just endlessly delay at every faceoff. I would suggest the team on the offensive side of the ice always get last change. In other words, if your team has a faceoff in your half of the ice, you must change your lines first. This gives the offensive team the ability to dictate matchups, which in my opinion would also help increase scoring ever so slightly. The exception to this would be center ice facecoffs, which could still go to the home team.

That would be chaos! Games would take forever. A common argument against any rule change is that it will confuse players, delay games, and generally ruin the game. This is almost always made by ignorant people that are blind to history. Players and coaches are smart people. Within half a season of this rule change taking effect they will have adjusted.

But you play all season for home ice advantage! It has been earned. Sure, you play all season for home ice advantage in the playoffs. That's why you get an extra home game in your arena, in front of your hometown fans (if the series goes 7 games). That extra home game is reward enough. Having a tangible advantage within the game itself is too much.

Edit: I'm a Sens fan! I'm surprised that people are thinking I'm a salty Penguins fan. I'm definitely a Sens fan, and I am arguing that the Sens should be 3-0 right now. The only reason they lost game 2 was they had to change their lines first every game. I just think having last change for the home team is too much of an advantage.

I would actually argue that home teams don't have enough advantage! What's the point of playing 82 games over 6 months just for 1 additional home game?! I would give the higher seed an extra win to start the series! There needs to be a mountain to climb if you were the worse team over the whole regular season, so it's harder to just get hot at the end and have the edge over a team that was better for overall.

But since that is way too controversial, I'm happy with the small advantage of last change. Teams with higher seeds deserve to do better.

Also, who the hell thought you were a pens fan?! it's clear you're a sens fan from your comments! 

And finally Go Sens GO! A Preds Sens final would be awesome to see, to finally have a new team that has never won it win... so tired of the same old Hawks/Kings/Pens cup. And Go Burrows!

Archived