The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

The Avro Arrow was way ahead of it's time.  However the US convinced old Dief to drop the program and they would supply BOMARC missiles convincing him jets were to become obsolete as a an air defence weapon.  The idiot bought into it.  Canada's aerospace industry was decimated many leaving Canada to work for NASA.

Defence policy review to be released after Trudeau meets NATO allies in Brussels

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/defence-policy-review-brussels-1.4113720

I sure hope the government finally ponies up and adequately funds our military. At this point the CAF needs huge investments and Trudeau recently cut 8.5 billion in equipment spending. I don't know where extra money will come from, just giving back that 8.5 billion cut will be peanuts.

It's time Canada finally invest in our armed forces. Trudeau and the liberals are spending 0.88% of GDP in defence. That is a complete joke!

• Upvote 2

I served from July 2006 - March 2011, deployed on TF-309 September 2009 - April 2010 Roto 8. Some of the best years of my life.

One thing that always stands out to me was how superior the USA's military equipment or kit was to ours. I worked with American Artillery when I was in Afghanistan and was always really impressed with their uniforms, boots, equipment, weapons, etc but I always argued that the equipment is only as good as it's operator and Canadian Soldiers are some of the finest trained men and women in the world. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I served from July 2006 - March 2011, deployed on TF-309 September 2009 - April 2010 Roto 8. Some of the best years of my life.

One thing that always stands out to me was how superior the USA's military equipment or kit was to ours. I worked with American Artillery when I was in Afghanistan and was always really impressed with their uniforms, boots, equipment, weapons, etc but I always argued that the equipment is only as good as it's operator and Canadian Soldiers are some of the finest trained men and women in the world. 

+1 I agree a 100% and you are likely a perfect example.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Defence policy review to be released after Trudeau meets NATO allies in Brussels

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/defence-policy-review-brussels-1.4113720

I sure hope the government finally ponies up and adequately funds our military. At this point the CAF needs huge investments and Trudeau recently cut 8.5 billion in equipment spending. I don't know where extra money will come from, just giving back that 8.5 billion cut will be peanuts.

It's time Canada finally invest in our armed forces. Trudeau and the liberals are spending 0.88% of GDP in defence. That is a complete joke!

"Those that won't feed their army will feed someone else's"

13 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Will always remember that the US in Somalia were always trying to get their hands on our drab olive green uni's as they tended to blend into the landscape better when dirty and dusty as opposed to the US camo pattern of the time.  Years later Canada developed the digital camo pattern and the US moved quick to adopt it think it was the Marines first.

1 hour ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Will always remember that the US in Somalia were always trying to get their hands on our drab olive green uni's as they tended to blend into the landscape better when dirty and dusty as opposed to the US camo pattern of the time.  Years later Canada developed the digital camo pattern and the US moved quick to adopt it think it was the Marines first.

I liked our uniforms, they have even made changes to them since I have released. I just liked how sharp the US Air Force MARPAT uniforms looked like. Sure, in Afghanistan the grey digital pattern didn't really 'fit' but they were overall a very solid uniform. 

while canada has taken part in most wars, we are more of a peace keeping  nation. it seems that canada is upgrading our equipment and ability of our equipment. i'm not sure if more equipment and force size is the best. just my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I liked our uniforms, they have even made changes to them since I have released. I just liked how sharp the US Air Force MARPAT uniforms looked like. Sure, in Afghanistan the grey digital pattern didn't really 'fit' but they were overall a very solid uniform. 

I hear you. For that region desert browns are the way to go.  And for urban settings blue/gray/black digital patterns.  In future conflicts urban fighting will be a major area of operation as it was in WW2, however this time it will be in our cities as well, North America will not be isolated this go round. Provided they decide not to go full on nuclear in the first few days. Then it's all a moot point.

1 minute ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

I hear you. For that region desert browns are the way to go.  And for urban settings blue/gray/black digital patterns.  In future conflicts urban fighting will be a major area of operation as it was in WW2, however this time it will be in our cities as well, North America will not be isolated this go round. Provided they decide not to go full on nuclear in the first few days. Then it's all a moot point.

Ya, our desert CADPAT looks really sharp. We actually have one of the more comfortable desert boots, too. I wish I was able to keep one of my uniforms but they were doused in anti-malaria/anti-insect bug dope so they had to basically be incinerated. I was able to 'acquire' my desert CADPAT rain gear, which you can imagine, was never worn in Afghanistan haha.

4 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya, our desert CADPAT looks really sharp. We actually have one of the more comfortable desert boots, too. I wish I was able to keep one of my uniforms but they were doused in anti-malaria/anti-insect bug dope so they had to basically be incinerated. I was able to 'acquire' my desert CADPAT rain gear, which you can imagine, was never worn in Afghanistan haha.

I'd of ditched them too. Right on.  Well now you have rain gear for the wet coast when needed.  Any CF-18's at Comox anymore I know most of them left for Cold Lake and Bagotville years ago.  Just read we moved some to Iceland to patrol their airspace under NATO, with how many are left they must be spread thin.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

I'd of ditched them too. Right on.  Well now you have rain gear for the wet coast when needed.  Any CF-18's at Comox anymore I know most of them left for Cold Lake and Bagotville years ago.  Just read we moved some to Iceland to patrol their airspace under NATO, with how many are left they must be spread thin.

Not 100% sure if they have any here or not, I don't think so because you only hear them getting some flight time around the same time as the Snow Birds practice. They probably only come here on exercise. 

5 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Not 100% sure if they have any here or not, I don't think so because you only hear them getting some flight time around the same time as the Snow Birds practice. They probably only come here on exercise. 

This was why selling off the CF-5's in the late 80's/Early 90's was a mistake. They were cheap to maintain. They were perfect for trainers and as reserve fighters. We should have gone to Northrop and offered a deal on F-20 Tigersharks (Which was an upgraded F-5) as the US spent $1.2 billion dollars on the project, we probably could have gotten them for a song. (Even if it was to mitigate the loses)

The F-20 had a shorter ferry range, but superior in speed, two 20 mm cannon instead of 1, better climb, and better altitude. And the F-20 was cheaper to maintain than an F-16. 

Of course what is preferred is building our own aircraft. 

On 2017-5-22 at 1:03 PM, Toews said:

I am afraid I am woefully ignorant regarding anything related to this field. If anyone has any resources that they can provide so that I can at least get started with the basics, it will be greatly appreciated.

Where would you like to start? This isn't a political issue both parties have badly underfunded our heroes.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Where would you like to start? This isn't a political issue both parties have badly underfunded our heroes.

I wouldn't have asked if I knew where to start. :P

Politics isn't the only issue in the range of my interests. I need a decent source where I can start reading about our countries military capabilities and that of other countries. How do we compare? You say we are underfunded and that might the case. I would like to come to that conclusion independently though, not saying that I don't believe you or even disagree but I need information on this subject and I don't know where to begin. Preferably I need a source that gives the facts without any judgments based on those facts.

19 minutes ago, Toews said:

I wouldn't have asked if I knew where to start. :P

Politics isn't the only issue in the range of my interests. I need a decent source where I can start reading about our countries military capabilities and that of other countries. How do we compare? You say we are underfunded and that might the case. I would like to come to that conclusion independently though, not saying that I don't believe you or even disagree but I need information on this subject and I don't know where to begin. Preferably I need a source that gives the facts without any judgments based on those facts.

Start with the ranking(s) and comparisons to other armies and formulate your questions from there.  Click on each country's name that you are interested in and you can get raw data (numbers) of equipment, personnel, economic ability to wage war, etc.

If you wonder why Canada is ranked only 25 out of 127, look at your navy.  It's nearly non-existent.  It's why I keep harping that it should be Canada's highest priority.  It would also be nice if Canada had a heck of a lot more tanks than it does.

Also keep in mind that the list is quantitative rather than qualitative.  It's not meant to be a "who would win in a war" kind of list.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp

• Upvote 1