The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I don't care what the cost is when it comes to our armed forces. I have made that clear time and time again.

I don't care what the cost is when it comes to our armed forces. I have made that clear time and time again.

Our Heath care costs are through the roof, leaving no money for protecting our borders, especial our northern border from nasty Russians.  

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/health-care-insurance-costs-skyrocket-canada-system-unsustainable-182904579.html

too many free bees to those who never contributed.  

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You're fine with it, but I'm sure there are many more people in Canada who like Alf, are not ok with a higher tax rate to fund the military.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our Heath care costs are through the roof, leaving no money for protecting our borders, especial our northern border from nasty Russians.  

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/health-care-insurance-costs-skyrocket-canada-system-unsustainable-182904579.html

too many free bees to those who never contributed.  

I completely agree.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're fine with it, but I'm sure there are many more people in Canada who like Alf, are not ok with a higher tax rate to fund the military.

Gst up 1% would generate roughly 6 billion annually that would be a nice boost to the military.

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Alf says take money wasted on free bees in health care to those who don't do anything but leach from us.  

• Upvote 1

Gst up 1% would generate roughly 6 billion annually that would be a nice boost to the military.

I don't disagree, but my opinion is null and void since I'm not a Canadian citizen subject to it's taxes.

On 2017-05-27 at 6:58 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Even though you and @SabreFan1 are American I know that you guys actually care about wanting Canada to spend more. Honestly I would like to see Canada at the levels in 1945 now today. Top 3 air force and navy and 1.1 million troops.

Lmao. Good way to go bankrupt too. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

More soldiers, ships and planes for military in Liberal defence plan

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4149473

The Liberal government's new defence policy lays out a plan to increase the defence budget by 70 per cent over the next decade to $32.7 billion.

That $32.7 billion doesn't even cover the cost overruns on the ships the Harper Government promised.  Now in excess of $60 billion and climbing

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/federal-warship-replacement-cost-swells-to-62-billion-now-more-than-twice-the-original-budget-pbo

OTTAWA — The federal budget watchdog says the government’s multibillion-dollar effort to replace the navy’s warship fleet is now on track to cost taxpayers 2.4 times more than first expected.

The parliamentary budget officer estimates it will cost Ottawa nearly $62 billion to replace 15 ships — more than twice the original 2008 budget of about $26 billion.

Jean-Denis Frechette’s analysis says the per-ship price tag has grown to $4.1 billion — up from the $1.7-billion estimate in 2008.

The report estimates the government would only be able to afford six ships if it tries to keep the program on budget.

Ottawa launched a competition last fall asking some of the world’s largest defence and shipbuilding companies to design a potential replacement for the navy’s 12 frigates and three destroyers.The chosen designs will be constructed by Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, and the new vessels are expected to arrive in the mid-2020s.

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yet we didn't then. 

Maybe it had to do with that small conflict going on in Europe and Asia.also since the 1950s the USA has not wanted us to have a big military. I will say our military is a joke at the moment and needs major funding. We need a navy. 

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

More soldiers, ships and planes for military in Liberal defence plan

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4149473

The Liberal government's new defence policy lays out a plan to increase the defence budget by 70 per cent over the next decade to $32.7 billion.

Sounds like a  big increase... but  a lot smaller when put this way

Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan released a policy review Wednesday, outlining a 20-year military procurement strategy that reiterates plans to replace its existing fighter jets and renew its fleet of warships. Defense spending will increase to 1.4 percent of gross domestic product within eight years, Sajjan said. That’s up from 1.2 percent currently but still short of a North Atlantic Treaty Organization goal of 2 percent.

19 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The problem is that Canada will either have to make cuts elsewhere (like with healthcare) or issue and take on more national debt.  Both things will be a tough sell to Canadian voters who have pacifistic tendencies.

If it does go through, I really hope Canada does something more than what's already planned with it's navy.

If the US had more of those "tendencies" you may not have wasted billions on Bush's Iraq war and the subsequent destabilization, all based on WMDs that didn't exist. 

But having said that, more funding is now on the way: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-lays-out-62-billion-in-new-military-spending-over-20-years/article35231311/

Edited by S'all Good Man

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If the US had more of those "tendencies" you may not have wasted billions on Bush's Iraq war and the subsequent destabilization, all based on WMDs that didn't exist. 

But having said that, more funding is now on the way: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-lays-out-62-billion-in-new-military-spending-over-20-years/article35231311/

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to the stupidity that was Iraq War.  That was all about greed as well as George Bush's religious beliefs.  An incredible waste of lives and resources.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to the stupidity that was Iraq War.  That was all about greed as well as George Bush's religious beliefs.  An incredible waste of lives and resources.

yah it was pretty frosty for a while between the Canadian and US govts over that one. I think we're headed for that kind of thing again unfortunately with the speech made yesterday by our Foreign Affairs minister about Trump taking the US out of a global leadership position. Trade war coming too I think. :huh: Total waste of all our time and resources. 

Edited by S'all Good Man

2 hours ago, LordCanuck said:

Maybe it had to do with that small conflict going on in Europe and Asia.also since the 1950s the USA has not wanted us to have a big military. I will say our military is a joke at the moment and needs major funding. We need a navy. 

You have any proof of this?

I also thought we were a sovereign nations and made our own decisions.