The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev to Buffalo. (Proposal)

Just now, Lord Gillis said:

Says who? Tanev is arguably better.

Larsson is a similar style player but younger and with less injuries. Because Larsson's only 24, there's more of a possibility for further development compared with Tanev who's at 27, which is often considered the start of a player's prime.

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Yes, I remember what Adam Larsson got....Taylor Hall, former 1st overall pick. You are asking for a former #2 overall and a 1st for a D-man that is often injured and entirely one dimensional. Larsson is bigger, meaner, better offensively and just as good defensively....plus he is younger. How do you possibly justify asking more for Tanev or are you just trolling?

If you're gonna say Tanev is one dimensional then Larsson is just as one dimensional, doesn't mean he can't have value. It might be an outrageous proposal but it's not impossible a team desperate for defensive help overpays for a guy like Tanev.

6 minutes ago, Lord Gillis said:

Hall is arguably the 2nd best left winger in the league.

Lol what? Out of curiosity, who's number one in your mind?

Because there's Jamie Benn, Ovi, Brad Marchand as much as I hate him, etc etc. Those are just a few guys I can think of on the spot. You're telling me that Hall is better than at least two of those guys? 

3 minutes ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

Lol what? Out of curiosity, who's number one in your mind?

Because there's Jamie Benn, Ovi, Brad Marchand as much as I hate him, etc etc. Those are just a few guys I can think of on the spot. You're telling me that Hall is better than at least two of those guys? 

It's arguable, not saying I agree with it but he's definitely top 4/5.

17 minutes ago, Lord Gillis said:

You're going under the assumption that Reinhart is better than Hall which he isn't.

Maybe. Maybe not. Hall certainly isn't so much better that it equates to getting an extra top 10 pick :lol:

Also, Tanev is injury prone and every GM in the league knows it.

Tanev alone wouldn't even be enough to get Reinhart...Not even close. And somehow you're suggesting Buffalo throw in their 1st rd pick (8th overall).

Why not just trade Sutter straight up for O'Reilly and their 2nd while we're at at xD

6 minutes ago, Lord Gillis said:

If you're gonna say Tanev is one dimensional than Larsson is just as one dimensional, doesn't mean he can't have value.

I'm gonna guess you have either never watched Larsson play or seldom watched him play.

Larsson was a 4th overall pick for a good reason. He was 6th in the NHL in hits this past season.....Tanev was 106th. Larsson was 16th in the NHL for blocked shots.......Tanev was 119th. Larsson had 19 points....Tanev had 10. Larsson was a +21 for the season.....Tanev was a +3.

Larsson plays a very physical game and yet missed only 3 games over the past 2 seasons.....Tanev plays with no physicality but has missed 42 games over the past 2 seasons. Larsson is 24 and Tanev is 27.

What exactly makes Tanev as valuable or more valuable than Larsson in a trade?

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-hits-statistics/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-blocks-statistics/2016/

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I'm gonna guess you have either never watched Larsson play or seldom watched him play.

Larsson was a 4th overall pick for a good reason. He was 6th in the NHL in hits this past season.....Tanev was 106th. Larsson was 16th in the NHL for blocked shots.......Tanev was 119th. Larsson had 19 points....Tanev had 10. Larsson was a +21 for the season.....Tanev was a +3.

Larsson plays a very physical game and yet missed only 3 games over the past 2 seasons.....Tanev plays with no physicality but has missed 42 games over the past 2 seasons. Larsson is 24 and Tanev is 27.

Rose tinted glasses 

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

How are hits and blocks a good indicator of defensive impact? If you're hitting a lot it means your team has the puck less often, if you're blocking a lot it means you're in the defensive zone a lot, neither of those are good things. 

I like how you ignore the fact that Larsson played 79 games this season compared to Tanev's 53, no wonder he outscored him. Over 82 games Larsson would've outscored Tanev by only 5 points. Their career points/game are pretty similar, not sure why you think Larsson is leaps and bounds ahead of Tanev offensively.

To say Tanev plays with no physicality is ridiculous, he uses his body to win puck battles all the time.

Yes Tanev is older but how much does age factor in to a team that wants to win now?

13 minutes ago, Lord Gillis said:

How are hits and blocks a good indicator of defensive impact? If you're hitting a lot it means your team has the puck less often, if you're blocking a lot it means you're in the defensive zone a lot, neither of those are good things. 

I like how you ignore the fact that Larsson played 79 games this season compared to Tanev's 53, no wonder he outscored him. Over 82 games Larsson would've outscored Tanev by only 5 points. Their career points/game are pretty similar, not sure why you think Larsson is leaps and bounds ahead of Tanev offensively.

To say Tanev plays with no physicality is ridiculous, he uses his body to win puck battles all the time.

Yes Tanev is older but how much does age factor in to a team that wants to win now?

People aren't getting the point of clearing out and firing the whole Sabres front office.  The Sabres know they aren't near "winning now".  That's why Murray lost his job.  Botterill is under zero pressure to make ridiculous trades.  Pegula has bought into Botterill's and most successful team's philosophy of draft well and develop your young players properly.  Both of Pegula's new GM's in football and in hockey have already said that they aren't putting timetables on the playoffs or Cup contention.

Chiarelli made a questionable trade, not sure that means that's what the market is now. He was desperate for a good RHD and wanted to get rid of Hall. Yes, good RHDs entering their prime are very expensive, but Tanev doesn't get many points and he blocks a ton of shots. The injuries are piling up. How long can he be effective like that? Tanev has a great contract right now, so that's to VAN's advantage. For Tanev to BUF I would think something like:

To BUF: Tanev and 2nd

To VAN: 1st (8th OA) and 5th 

Getting into the top 10 is also expensive.

Even though Tanev leaving would leave a big hole on the right side, maybe Subban gets a shot, or Biega makes the club full time. Maybe they sign a UFA for a couple of years until Liljegren is ready :)

VANs 5th - Glass

VANs 8th - Liljegren

5 minutes ago, Lord Gillis said:

I know I am wasting time that I will never get back but here goes.

"How are hits and blocks a good indicator of defensive impact? If you're hitting a lot it means your team has the puck less often, if you're blocking a lot it means you're in the defensive zone a lot, neither of those are good things. "

Edmonton gave up the 9th fewest shots in the league while the Canucks were 25th. Doesn't sound like Edmonton spent more time in their own end. Hits are not just in the defensive end of the ice and help create turnovers.

"I like how you ignore the fact that Larsson played 79 games this season compared to Tanev's 53, no wonder he outscored him. Over 82 games Larsson would've outscored Tanev by only 5 points. Their career points/game are pretty similar, not sure why you think Larsson is leaps and bounds ahead of Tanev offensively"

I am not ignoring the number of games that Larsson has played vs Tanev. I am trying to illustrate that these stats are what you can expect because Tanev always misses games. He has never missed less than 12 games in any season since joining the Canucks so I think this is what you can expect to get from Tanev on a regular basis.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-shots-against-per-game/2016/

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

People aren't getting the point of clearing out and firing the whole Sabres front office.  The Sabres know they aren't near "winning now".  That's why Murray lost his job.  Botterill is under zero pressure to make ridiculous trades.  Pegula has bought into Botterill's and most successful team's philosophy of draft well and develop your young players properly.  Both of Pegula's new GM's in football and in hockey have already said that they aren't putting timetables on the playoffs or Cup contention.

I wasn't referring to the Sabres in particular, I was responding to the comment that said Larsson was much more valuable than Tanev.

Just now, Lord Gillis said:

I wasn't referring to the Sabres in particular, I was responding to the comment that said Larsson was much more valuable than Tanev.

Ok, then take that post as the biggest reason on why the Tanev-Reinhart trade has no chance of happening.

Go all out. Get our center and defenceman in one hit.

TO BUF: Tanev + 5th overall pick + Grenier

TO VAN: Reinhart + 8th overall

Draft Heiskanen, Makar or Liljegren.

7 player core:

1C: Reinhart

2C: Horvat

1W: Boeser

2W: Dahlen

1D: Heiskanen/Makar

2D: Juolevi

1G: Demko

Draft an elite defenceman in 2018 in a defensive-deep draft and there's a core that can contend. 

3 hours ago, Lord Gillis said:

Remember what Adam Larsson got? Top 4 RHD come at a premium, it's not often teams put them up for sale. 

by top 4 RHD do you mean RHD who went top 4 in the draft 6 years ago

Archived